this workout is giving me the most amazing results

Discussion in 'Bodyweight' started by Jason B., Jul 22, 2019.

1. Jason B.

Jason B. Double-Digit Post Count

I am staggered by the results of this workout I put together using Pavel's writing.

MON / TUES / WED / THURS - I do high-tension work, anywhere from 10-30 total reps per per exercise per day, depending on how much time I have. Sometimes sets of singles, doubles, triples, fives (never done fours for some reason), whatever I feel like.

AM
    pistols
    weighted incline OAP
    hollow hangs
    weighted horizontal rows
    Hardstyle sitbacks

PM
    kettlebell swings (2 pood)
    Relax Into Stretch

FRI - off

SAT - test day!

This is where things get interesting. Every Saturday I do a calisthenics routine that's similar to Convict Conditioning, but I cap the reps at 25.

shrimp squats
    weighted OAP against the wall (working around a shoulder injury)
    horizontal rows
    ankle-weighted lying bent-leg raises focusing on pulling knees to chest with my upper abs
    weighted archbody raises

SUN - off

I'm amazed at the results so far. I've been doing calisthenics for two years now and have generally maintained the pace of adding 1 or 2 reps per week, especially if I'm doing sets of less than 10 reps (i.e. if last week I did five reps, I'll probably gut out only six reps this week, but if last week I did fifteen, this week I'll probably get 18-20).

HOWEVER, spending four days per week doing Pavel's stuff is like dynamite. If I did five reps of an exercise on my test day last week, this time I'll probably get nine or ten. If I got fifteen last week, I'm definitely going to get 25 this week. I'm graduating to harder exercises or adding weight at a ridiculous rate.

I got the idea of combining the two styles from Overcoming Gravity.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Neuro-Bob, Kozushi, Marc and 2 others like this.
  2. Bauer

Bauer More than 500 posts

Sounds like a healthy approach to me! Congrats on your progress.

3. Kozushi

Kozushi More than 2500 posts

Yes, it looks like you have several supporting exercises for the swings through extensions, rows, hangs etc, and you're effecting a nice anti-twist push through the one arm pushups, which also I think help the swings through the anti-twist aspect. The leg raise flexions are a nice addition. The one legged squats take care of the legs.

All in all it's a kind of amplified Naked Warrior with swings. Seems like a highly effective combination!