all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Thoughts on "Convict Conditioning"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I think this book is excellent. The guy is in his 40s but looks 25 years younger. He's really doing those moves, and his accomplishments in weight lifting feats are impressive, let alone the especially impressive fact that he can do a bunch of one arm handstand pushups without a wall in a row. He has done some very interesting research into the methods of old time strongmen who didn't have modern weight apparatuses to train with and found that they were getting a lot of mileage out of using their own bodyweight. He found that these methods go back to old time acrobats and gymnasts and probably reach back before history. I never realized that the gymnastics vault horse and rings were developed for bodyweight strength building exercise - kind of funny since it should be obvious. I always associated them with a kind of athletic dance. I like the old picture of the heavy guy doing a 1 arm handstand in the middle of a field - the same guy who could one arm overhead press at least his own bodyweight. It makes sense that this kind of acrobatic training would help him to overhead press heavily too!

He has 6 moves that are in his system:
  1. One arm pushup
  2. One leg squat
  3. One arm pullup
  4. Hanging leg raises
  5. Back bridge
  6. One arm handstand pushup

Each of the 6 has 10 steps to get to it, and the 6 themselves are arranged in an order of easier/more fundamental to harder and more elite. I think the organization of the system is very intelligent.

I don't really think this stuff was "lost" though. As he points out - gymnasts can do a lot of this stuff, maybe all of it and more. My kids who are into gymnastics can do a lot of these things already. There never ceased to be gymnasts. What this book does is to select from this acrobatic/gymnastics tradition and format it for use by the layman specifically to get STRONG, not both mobile and strong (since a lot of gymnastics moves are about mobility too!) I think that's a great idea! I'm also impressed at how elite the moves get. Surely if someone had the wherewithal to go ahead with the full programme, he would become a remarkably strong person! I was struck by his point about weight training also developing sinews and tendons - not just muscles. That's a very good point. I've fought some terribly strong guys in judo clubs who are just little skinny wiry people with small muscles. I guess that they had some kind of "sinew strength" but I never heard of that from anyone else.

I would have recommended not being overly critical of lifting wights other than one's bodyweight in the book. It isn't like deadlifting and benchpressing produce weaklings! Hahaha! I think writing hyperbolic statements against things that are proven to work like barbell training would turn many people away from the book, which is too bad. I've been handling kettlebells for about 18th months now and I haven't "injured" myself or anything like that, and they are most certainly making me stronger! Also, the Turkish Get Up has a lot of the flavour of a bodyweight exercise and clearly some of the same benefits. It resembles the squat and the start of the back bridge that the author lauds.

Anyhow, I think it's great stuff.

It's interesting that he doesn't get into the one arm one leg pushup the way Pavel does.

By the way, I don't think this book or method is in competition with the Naked Warrior. The point of NW is to be able to train anywhere, anytime with nothing, greatly strengthening almost all your muscles. The point of this book on the other hand is to train with your own bodyweight and with some easy to procure equipment (like a wall, like a bar, like a ball) to become incredibly strong in every way conceivable. I noticed that SF includes similar moves in its bodyweight seminars to this book. NW isn't simply SF's "bodyweight" progamme; it's rather the SF "no equipment at all" programme.

Convict Conditioning is intriguing and it definitely gives me the hope of becoming incredibly strong without having to go to a gym!!! However, given that I'm not at the moment tempted to become an elite "old time" strongman, I think S&S and Naked Warrior plus some good long walks and such will continue to do the trick. I'm not about to put away my kettlebell, hahaha! It takes up no space and it's an amazing workout tool!!!

I apologize in advance if I am misinterpreting anything you said here. I may not have up to date information on the subject.
If you are referring to the photos of the person modeling the various exercise in Convict Conditioning; that person is Jim Bathurst, not Paul Wade. Paul Wade photos are somewhat... rare.
While CC may be an entertaining read, there is (or at least was) some controversy over the veracity of the story.

The one arm freestanding handstand push up...
From what I understand is still somewhat of the holy grail of body weight exercises. Some people claim to have done them, yet as far as I know video documentation is scarce.
The big 6 as the author calls them are certainly valid body weight exercises, and I agree that if a person could execute all of them, I would consider that individual to be pretty strong.

I apologize in advance if I am misinterpreting anything you said here. I may not have up to date information on the subject.
If you are referring to the photos of the person modeling the various exercise in Convict Conditioning; that person is Jim Bathurst, not Paul Wade. Paul Wade photos are somewhat... rare.
While CC may be an entertaining read, there is (or at least was) some controversy over the veracity of the story.

The one arm freestanding handstand push up...
From what I understand is still somewhat of the holy grail of body weight exercises. Some people claim to have done them, yet as far as I know video documentation is scarce.
The big 6 as the author calls them are certainly valid body weight exercises, and I agree that if a person could execute all of them, I would consider that individual to be pretty strong.
Never apologize to me about anything. We're all here to learn and share. Well anyhow, if Mr. Bathurst is doing the stuff then he's the MAN! Like I wrote above, my kids can do some of that stuff already because they're gymnasts, and their coaches can do just about all of them and more stuff besides (they were/are international level competitors). Anyways, it's an interesting and entertaining read and the exercises are valid. I'm glad I bought NW though because I'm much happier only worrying about two heavy bodyweight moves rather than 6. However, the "big 6" definitely takes the concept of bodyweight exercising to something closer to what real gymnasts do, and that's pretty cool. I don't mind that the author thinks highly of "Canadian strongmen". :)

There are probably some other non-Pavel books that I'd enjoy reading too. There must be dozens of fun reads like this one. Totally worth the 30-40$ or whatever I paid for it!

Ah, the book says it's fictional right at the start!

“This book is intended for entertainment purposes only. This book is not biography. The names, histories and circumstances of the individuals featured in this book have accordingly been changed either partially or completely. Despite this, the author maintains that all the exercise principles within this volume-techniques, methods and ideology-are valid. Use them, and become the best.”

In other words it's a university educated gymnast who put together an interesting book and a valid gymnastics-based "big 6" system to promote gymnastics exercises as strength building ones. I love it! That's darn WITTY and still great stuff to boot! Okay, that's awesome!

The guy is in his 40s but looks 25 years younger. He's really doing those moves, and his accomplishments in weight lifting feats are impressive, let alone the especially impressive fact that he can do a bunch of one arm handstand pushups without a wall in a row.
That's Jim from Beastskills.

The accomplishments are most likely BS (him winning PL competition on a bet?). He can't do OAHSPUs, certainly not freestanding. He later on clarified he could do One-arm Elbow Planks to One-arm Handstands (a move that is MUCH easier). He could never do a OAHSPU, Jim can't either, the whole concept of the move is just a lie also. He wrote a progression based on what he thinks it would be like.

What this book does is to select from this acrobatic/gymnastics tradition and format it for use by the layman specifically to get STRONG, not both mobile and strong (since a lot of gymnastics moves are about mobility too!) I think that's a great idea!
He would disagree. The book is about strength, yes. But CC2 is all about mobility, so he does want you mobile as well. That's about the only thing I agree with Wade on.

Ah, the book says it's fictional right at the start!

Kozushi, look at his recommendation to build up to 100 One-arm Push-ups in a row. Not just normal OAPUs either. Perfect One-arm Push-ups with no side lean or twist. Let alone the fact that the strongest people (like Jim) can't do a single one... do you really think it logical that he recommends to build up to 100 of them?

The book is mostly hogwash. There's historical fallacies in much of his book, dates are wrong, he attributes the success of various strongmen to Bodyweight training when that was only a part of their training. He recommends to build up to a OAHSPU, which no one can perform and he himself can't even do.

These views are mine and not of SF, but what I think it was is simply a desperate attempt by DD to introduce a really "hardcore" writer that could impress you with rhetoric and quickstart a new round of certifications (the PCC) because they were losing Pavel (this was all back in 2008... CC came out right as Pavel was leaving). They squeezed him with two more books and 5 more DVDs (although NO Handstand Push-up DVD... because no one can do his made-up move!).

My distrust of DD is completely erased after Al joined them, as Al is simply one of the greatest people I've seen. The opposite of Wade. He's open to all viewpoints, has a no-nonsense approach (no mythical exercises) and is capable of doing all the moves he teaches. A real coach.

It's just about the money in this fitness industry. He caught your attention but I'm glad you're smart enough to realize the absurdity. I've seen dozens of people waste months of training in that forum in the past decade. It's a shame.

Convict Conditioning was the first DD book I purchased. Its quasi-fictional nature and impossible exercises aside, I do think it's a decent book, although its value to me was more 'inspirational' than instructional.

The exercise progressions can be really helpful as well, although they will always need to be adjusted to suit individual progress, which is something Wade himself said in the Convict Conditioning FAQ.

It wasn't that long afterwards that I picked up a copy of 'The Naked Warrior' and I got a lot more practical instruction out of that book (my first one armed push-up, for one thing) but I think that the reader's goals and learning style are ultimately what determines which book is best for you.

There are a lot of different books on bodyweight exercise out there right now and you could do a lot worse than Convict Conditioning. I've yet to check out any of Al Kavadlo's books but I've been a subscriber to his YouTube channel for a couple of years and I definitely like his style.

Hello,

Regardless the volume, some moves are achievable, such as pistol, HLR and back bridge. Otherwise...

What I really like in Al's channel (I also suscribed) is that he does not have unrealistic expectations. He does really impressive things, but demonstrates them himself. He really focuses on technique and smooth progressions. I mixed some of his stuff and Pavel's to build my pistol and OAOL PU of instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Never apologize to me about anything. We're all here to learn and share. Well anyhow, if Mr. Bathurst is doing the stuff then he's the MAN! Like I wrote above, my kids can do some of that stuff already because they're gymnasts, and their coaches can do just about all of them and more stuff besides (they were/are international level competitors). Anyways, it's an interesting and entertaining read and the exercises are valid. I'm glad I bought NW though because I'm much happier only worrying about two heavy bodyweight moves rather than 6. However, the "big 6" definitely takes the concept of bodyweight exercising to something closer to what real gymnasts do, and that's pretty cool. I don't mind that the author thinks highly of "Canadian strongmen". :)

There are probably some other non-Pavel books that I'd enjoy reading too. There must be dozens of fun reads like this one. Totally worth the 30-40$ or whatever I paid for it!
Well I was trying to be somewhat diplomatic :)
My viewpoints are actually closer to those of @305pelusa

Hello,

@Kozushi
C. Sommer's "Building the Gymnastic Body" may ineterest you. There are lots of bdw progressions to lead you to straddle planche, handstand and so on.

This is a bit less minimalistic than NW if you want to follow "as per the book". Nonetheless, nothing prevents you from picking one or two moves and then practicing them.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pelusa - that's hilarious! I understand your point about having to make money and it can drive people to do "criminal" things like publish lies - hahaha! "Convict Conditioning" - HAHAHA!

My daughter can balance on one hand in the middle of the floor. I guess the author couldn't though, hahaha!

Personally I love the book and much of the other Paul Wade info. Yes, some of it is wildly over the top and the man himself may, or may not, exist but much of the info does stand up. It's very entertaining writing.

Also, anything the Kavadlo brothers put their name to (PCC) gets a thumbs up from me. Both are undoubtably great coaches and writers. They also walk their talk.

Many methods and theories can co-exist. There is more than one way to 'strong' as the history books and experience of many show.

Hmm... Maybe those brothers are actually... hahaha!

I just ordered their "Pushing the Limits" book for more insight on the Naked Warrior moves I'm fascinated with these days.

I still love the "Convict Conditioning" book - a great book and the BS just makes it better! SO WITTY!!! :)

I just asked my daughter to do a one hand handstand and hold it and she did. The stuff isn't impossible. My little daughter can do it so...!

Hello,

@Kozushi
In this book, you'll learn plenty of push up variations, from wall push ups as a beginner step, to more advanced ones such as OA PU, freestanding HSPU, OA plyo PU and so on. This is the exact same logic with squats (leading to pistols) and back bridges. At the end of the book, you'll get some programming stuff.

Plus, he has a pretty good youtube channel (Al Kavadlo). You can find some other moves, programming and tutorials if needed ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have CC1 and CC2. They are pretty good books. Some of the progressions seem a bit strange but there is lots of useful BW training stuff in there.

THAT being said I found Al Kavadlo's 'PUSHING THE LIMITS' & 'RAISING THE BAR' to be better books on BW/Barre training.

So if you are looking into BW stuff check those out.

It's a shame those Kavadlo books are usually looked at, praised, and then filed away. If people actually took the time to work on them and figure out some of the programming (for which the book helps very little on, unfortunately), we would have a much stronger calisthenics community.

Hello,

They are very progressive and very smooth. They are also quite pragmatic and do not have unrealistic expectations.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Regarding chinning bar training, I spent my youth pretty much ONLY using the chinning bar to get and stay in shape. It certainly did the trick and I looked CUT! It's a bit limiting though in that you need the bar set up to do it. I'm fascinated these days with the no equipment at all stuff. Even the kettlebell is less equipment than a chinning bar in my way of thinking, especially since the kettlebell can be used anywhere but the bar requires a doorframe. Another thing I'll add is that I found the chinning muscles quite useless in judo and in MMA and even worse in fencing and kendo. Sure, they gave me a certain over all health and physical integrity, but I'd say that they were better for looking good for women than for utility in sport. I also don't think they did much for strengthening my back as I often had back pain. The current kettlebell stuff I do has entirely cured my chronic back pain. Still, the chinning bar is an AMAZING tool to get healthy and strong, even if it's not the kind of strength that's useful in sports.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom