all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Thoughts on "Convict Conditioning"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Kozushi
Do you naturally store fat ?

Compounds such as push ups and squats works well if you control diet at the same time. I went some time in Corsica and eat at almost every meal (to test) local cheeses and cold meats. Then I simply walked a lot and dived (+ compounds and OAOL PU / Pistols). I did not gain weigh doing so.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I'm not abnormal, no, hehehe. I'm just amazed at how by merely doing S&S I look cut and trim, but with other stuff I am much less trim and cut. Definitely walking for a few hours a day keeps me fit.

Hello,

@Kozushi
You are right, walking keeps fit. To make it more "efficient", I put some weight in my backpack and I walk 1h a day (at midday during the lunch break). This is just amazing how well it works and how simple it is.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
You are right, walking keeps fit. To make it more "efficient", I put some weight in my backpack and I walk 1h a day (at midday during the lunch break). This is just amazing how well it works and how simple it is.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yes. If I walk around with a backpack I'm not worried about staying fit in any other way. Of course it isn't like it grants much strength in the arms, but everything else is kept very strong with walking for long periods of time.

Hello,

@Kozushi
This is exactely what I think. I consider than doing this kind of activity on an everyday basis (rucking / walking with a load) makes gain extremely sustainable. Plus you can "transfer" them directly to any other endurance activities without thinking of it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
This is exactely what I think. I consider than doing this kind of activity on an everyday basis (rucking / walking with a load) makes gain extremely sustainable. Plus you can "transfer" them directly to any other endurance activities without thinking of it.

Kind regards,

Pet'
A very few judo guys I knew thought that walking was a joke exercise, but I was winning all the tournaments, hehehe.

Hello,

@Kozushui
Did you receive your copy of CC and / or A. Kavadlo ? If so, what do you think about it / them ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushui
Did you receive your copy of CC and / or A. Kavadlo ? If so, what do you think about it / them ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
I don't have the Kavadlo book yet but I've read through the CC book and it gave me some good ideas. The character is fictional though as it states quite clearly at the start of the book. The first 4 exercises are sane, safe things. The last two are a bit on the VERY HARD side of things. BUT, if I were somehow limited to NEVER having kettlebells, I'd pursue the back bridge at least and maybe try to do handstands - if not to do pushups at least to be able to balance on one hand for a sec.

As things stand, I learned enough from the book to decide to continue my Naked Warrior exercises, to prize my kettlebells, and to keep the 1 hand chinup in mind for the future, perhaps.

As things stand, I learned enough from the book to decide to continue my Naked Warrior exercises, to prize my kettlebells, and to keep the 1 hand chinup in mind for the future, perhaps.

The one arm chin-up is an elusive yet worthwhile goal, which is excellently supported by following the Naked Warrior program and kettlebell training. It's still a long way off for me, though.

Hello,

To a certain extent, a good thing about CC is that the progression goes from high rep sets to build strength and endurance, as a prep to low rep sets, to build pure strength only.

Kind regards,

Pet'

After glancing thru and reading many of the post on this thread, first want to mention that the SFB course and certification are open to ALL. You do not have to attend a KB course prior.

We have many progressions/regressions for all these skills. We also teach the SF principles and program design.

While we are on the STRONGFIRST bodyweight forum, I would be interested in a head count of those here who have either attended our course or certification or trained with an SFB instructor?

** I personally do not know nor have I read any of the Kavadlos work, so I can not speak in regards to them other than yes they seem to walk the talk.

**I have the CC book as I was once an instructor with DD and I have met C. Sommer's and attended one of his workshops.

What I can and will speak on is SF....Pavel developed great content for our course/cert that I am honored to teach. I would love for you guys to attend or train with one of our SFB instructor, this would give a better understanding of what we teach and that of our competitors that have been listed above.

AND just a quick example of how strong people can get using our principles in the proper programming manner.... I ran a 6 week beta program and many never even thought they would try to achieve a OAPU....But they followed the 3x week program and several of them in just 6 short weeks went from doing OAPU on the wall to being 15" from completing it on the ground.
JUST 6 SHORT WEEKS, and one of these ladies was 62 yrs old. Thought these stats might interest some of you.

While we are on the STRONGFIRST bodyweight forum, I would be interested in a head count of those here who have either attended our course or certification or trained with an SFB instructor?

I attended the 1-day Bodyweight course, March 2015 in Durham, NC with the MOST AWESOME Instructor, Karen Smith :)

These days I'm doing well with pistols and OK with pull-ups, but still have a long way to go for OAPU and need to do some more of the abdominal strength work.

But I think the SFB cert is in my future... :cool:

You should put out a Strong First Bodyweight book. A lot of us have gotten into this stuff through the books. I read S&S and learned that stuff first from the book, for instance. I was shocked to see only 2 moves, and one of them the insanely hard looking getup. But, the book convinced me that the getup is ideal for mobility and all direction strength, and here I am now - super fit and ridiculously strong.

The Naked Warrior book also influenced me a lot. It's THE programme for no equipment training. I do one arm pushups all the time and half pistols. However, SF has more to say on bodyweight training than just what's in Naked Warrior when you add a chinning bar into the mix.

I don't do chinups these days. I think it's overkill. The NW stuff doesn't interfere with S&S, but chinups I think would interfere.

Hello,

Running some chin ups / pull ups while running S&S is possible as long as grip and shoulders recover well. This is true above all if you do not have other physical activities which are not too taxing.

It is possible to make NW more "cardio-oriented" if you do ladders and if you reduce rest to the minimum:
> 1 OAOL PU right + 1 OAOL PU left
> 1 pistol right + 1 pistol left
> 2 OAOL PU each side, in a row
> 2 pistols each side, in a row

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Running some chin ups / pull ups while running S&S is possible as long as grip and shoulders recover well. This is true above all if you do not have other physical activities which are not too taxing.

It is possible to make NW more "cardio-oriented" if you do ladders and if you reduce rest to the minimum:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks Pet. That's a great idea I didn't think of!

After glancing thru and reading many of the post on this thread, first want to mention that the SFB course and certification are open to ALL. You do not have to attend a KB course prior.

We have many progressions/regressions for all these skills. We also teach the SF principles and program design.

** I personally do not know nor have I read any of the Kavadlos work, so I can not speak in regards to them other than yes they seem to walk the talk.

**I have the CC book as I was once an instructor with DD and I have met C. Sommer's and attended one of his workshops.

What I can and will speak on is SF....Pavel developed great content for our course/cert that I am honored to teach. I would love for you guys to attend or train with one of our SFB instructor, this would give a better understanding of what we teach and that of our competitors that have been listed above.

AND just a quick example of how strong people can get using our principles in the proper programming manner.... I ran a 6 week beta program and many never even thought they would try to achieve a OAPU....But they followed the 3x week program and several of them in just 6 short weeks went from doing OAPU on the wall to being 15" from completing it on the ground.
JUST 6 SHORT WEEKS, and one of these ladies was 62 yrs old. Thought these stats might interest some of you.

I would love to do a SFB course/cert, but I am currently doing the SFG level 1, maybe next year, as there is an SFB instructor nearby (Claire Booth). I am adding in some calisthenics stuff to my workouts, mainly push ups/dips and chins/pulls, but also trying to get some L-sits as well.

You should put out a Strong First Bodyweight book. A lot of us have gotten into this stuff through the books. I read S&S and learned that stuff first from the book, for instance. I was shocked to see only 2 moves, and one of them the insanely hard looking getup. But, the book convinced me that the getup is ideal for mobility and all direction strength, and here I am now - super fit and ridiculously strong.

The Naked Warrior book also influenced me a lot. It's THE programme for no equipment training. I do one arm pushups all the time and half pistols. However, SF has more to say on bodyweight training than just what's in Naked Warrior when you add a chinning bar into the mix.

I don't do chinups these days. I think it's overkill. The NW stuff doesn't interfere with S&S, but chinups I think would interfere.

SFB book would be interesting :)

Hello,

@Kozushi
You are welcome !

Another option you may have:
A timer on 5 minutes for instance. Then, by alternating the sides, you do as many reps as you can (with good form of course).

If you can increase the number of reps, you became stronger because you lifted more in the same amount of time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'
I found that S&S and Fighter Pull ups or 1 RM pull-ups complimented each other nicely. A bit a MAF running thrown in for good measure...

I got the "Pushing the Limits" book a few days ago and read it. I like it very much. However, what I especially like about it is that it has settled my mind even more firmly against preferring bodyweight exercises over kettlebells. Sure, moving your own weight is great exercise and the mark of someone who is fit, but moving your own weight PLUS another weight in your hands? Well, isn't that FAR superior??? Also, take chinups for instance. They're quite easy compared with flinging a heavy kettlebell out in 1 handed swings, or manipulating one for the clean and press or a snatch. I noticed after doing 1 hand pushups for a month and staying off the clean and press that I lost a LOT of clean and press strength! A LOT I say!!!

I noticed that quite a number of the movements in the Pushing the Limits book are covered in the Turkish Getup. So, this just shows me how much better the getup is than having to do a whole slew of these unweighted (easier) exercises.

Anyhow, I also feel how complete Pavel's "Naked Warrior" book is for no-equipment-at-all weight training.

Now, factoring in the idea of "mobility" as one of the divine trinity of exercise in my mind, I definitely think that "Pushing the Limits" has a lot to contribute in this category!!! If you really cannot get access to weights at all, I think mobility exercises like plyometrics, jumping and so forth are going to have to happen! This of course all goes to confirm my decision to restart my judo and kendo careers - I thought I could live a healthy life without mobility exercise, but now I don't think so. S&S ALMOST does it, but not quite; you still gotta get out and move chaotically to be in optimal condition as a human. Anyhow, in this sense I think the "Pushing the Limits" book is a nice supplement to Naked Warrior. But, with S&S, I really do feel that I am being served a pretty complete full course meal as is!!! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom