all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thoughts on kettlebell training for longevity?

At age 61, I have now put my physical work into 4 categories: Strength, Flexibility, Mobility, and Cardio. I do two-a-days, so that gives me 14 opportunities each week. Most weeks I do 4 strength segments (kettlebells + bodyweight), 2 flexibility (yoga flow), 2 mobility (animal movements), and 3 cardio (rowing). I take off 3 segments a week to help with recovery. Within any given category, I can make changes, e.g., on strength, I'm in the middle of six weeks of S&S. For me, the categories were an organizational breakthrough and this mix is keeping me strong and functional.

Regarding the question of longevity, that’s way above my pay grade. I’m 72 and a relative newbie with kbs. About 3 years now. Prior to being fortunate enough to find Derek T as my coach, I was the quintessential run bike swim guy. Looking back over the last 3 years, I can now appreciate how weak I was. Prior to kbs that is.
More importantly and to the point of the original question, my quality of life is very much improved. Ultimately I don’t get the last word on quantity (of life), but quality is what I make of it.

KBs are an amazing tool for longevity. They likely aren't included in many studies due to the learning curve. Having a broad range of study participants makes using other modalities more simple for study methods. I have also become weary of many studies- they are typically brought to us from the likes of Academia that think Cheerios are healthier than ground beef. I like Dr. Peter Attia and just pre-ordered his book Outlive. Highly rec. checking him out if you are interested in the topic of Longevity vs Healthspan. Healthspan = quality of life. No need to increase longevity if you aren't happy nor capable of performing autonomous tasks. With all this being said, I do enjoy biking, running, and swimming. Good for the soul & in case you need to rely on them for survival. Biking has been easier on my knees for triathlon training. I no longer train for competition and train these low-to-moderately now and have really increased my strength training as priority.

Last edited:
My 2 cents...on longevity/quality of life.

First, make sure you have a healthy diet and get quality sleep. Next, run Quick and Dead with A+A in six week intervals. Throw in some cardio, yoga(flexibility), meditation, and some type of hobby which promotes being anti-fragile. I think this would be an excellent way to promote longevity and quality of life as you age.
Sometimes I wonder if i do Too much lol. I work in the construction industry. Walk a lot. Do Jiu Jitsu, do bells etc lol. I’m always tired.

Reactions: D3V
KBs are an amazing tool for longevity. They likely aren't included in many studies do to the learning curve. Having a broad range of study participants makes using other modalities more simple for study methods. I have also become weary of many studies- they are typically brought to us from the likes of Academia that think Cheerios are healthier than ground beef. I like Dr. Peter Attia and just pre-ordered his book Outlive. Highly rec. checking him out if you are interested in the topic of Longevity vs Healthspan. Healthspan = quality of life. No need to increase longevity if you aren't happy nor capable of performing autonomous tasks. With all this being said, I do enjoy biking, running, and swimming. Good for the soul & in case you need to rely on them for survival. Biking has been easier on my knees for triathlon training. I no longer train for competition and train these low-to-moderately now and have really increased my strength training as priority.
Awesome. I got into Attila when he was all about a ketogenic diet. I don’t think so much anymore?

Awesome. I got into Attila when he was all about a ketogenic diet. I don’t think so much anymore?
Yeah same. He stopped because he said it was too hard to maintain with kids and his current lifestyle but does envy his friends that are on it. He practices some extreme IF as an alternative but no thank you on that. I just like his scientific mind of breaking down studies and using his medical background with his mathematics background to help interpret the data/results.

He practices some extreme IF as an alternative but no thank you on that.
Based off the current research, he no longer practices that as much. it seems the benefits of IF are pretty much from caloric restriction. Which there are easier ways to do that than not eating for a week.
But changing his mind based off of new information is why I like the guy.

Kettlebells do three things better than other modalities : swings/snatches, turkish get ups and goblet squats. After you get past those three 'killer apps' as Dan John says, other modalities do other things better.

You can post all the old timer pictures you want but that only shows one side of the coin. What you don't hear about are the aches and pains or arthritic joints that aren't told through a picture.

Personally, long term I think that basic calisthenics with walking will fit the bill for long term health and longevity. It's not always fun or enjoyable but it works.

Kettlebells do three things better than other modalities : swings/snatches, turkish get ups and goblet squats. After you get past those three 'killer apps' as Dan John says, other modalities do other things better.

You can post all the old timer pictures you want but that only shows one side of the coin. What you don't hear about are the aches and pains or arthritic joints that aren't told through a picture.

Personally, long term I think that basic calisthenics with walking will fit the bill for long term health and longevity. It's not always fun or enjoyable but it works.

I'm going to take it a step further:

The tool is a minor detail.

Compliance and programming almost certainly matter more.

Do resistance training and cardio regularly.

Which resistance training tool(s) and which cardio exercise(s) is less important the right mix between frequency vs recovery and plateau vs progression.

IMO, kettlebells can be great tools for movement, strength training, and cardio. But it is movement, strength training, and cardio that is good for longevity, not any specific tool. And there are endless tools and methods that can be successfully employed to meet those objectives.

I remind myself that my currently-101-year-old grandmother never touched a kettlebell.

I'm going to take it a step further:

The tool is a minor detail.

Compliance and programming almost certainly matter more.

Do resistance training and cardio regularly.

Which resistance training tool(s) and which cardio exercise(s) is less important the right mix between frequency vs recovery and plateau vs progression.
I tell people all the time it doesnt really matter what you do but you need to find a form of physical activity that you enjoy and will be consistent with.

Sure it is a great tool.

Fits in a small storage space. Only needs a small space to work out in. Can use it inside and out. Multiple ways of programming.

Cardio - you have 2 excellent low-impact tools - Snatch and Swing - And really it is the impact (and boredom) that keeps a lot of people from jogging or doing lots of cardio activities.
Strength Training - you can do an assortment of clean, press, and squat exercises - And again depending on the programming you can target different things.
Flexibility and Movement - TGU and normal stretching - Definitely can feel the benefit to troublesome joints and core strength when you do TGU.

So many options for a device that fits in a closet and can be used almost anywhere.

To me, it is the swings in particular, the low impact and anti-sitting aspect of them, that kind of make it a very worthwhile tool for longevity.

Go to any gym and you see half the people there doing some sort of bench or lat pull-down. Good exercises, but not really helping people stand and move, as you are braced in some sort of contraption. It is getting people standing and having to counter the weight rather than using a bench that adds to the functional and longevity aspect of it.

And yes I could do a lot of the exercises with a dumbell, but it is no good for swings and just allows your joints to find and use their strongest angle, in most cases.

Last edited:
Based off the current research, he no longer practices that as much. it seems the benefits of IF are pretty much from caloric restriction. Which there are easier ways to do that than not eating for a week.
But changing his mind based off of new information is why I like the guy.
Well shoot I am not up to date with him then lol! Ever since he went to a subscription model I have kind of fell off except for weekly newsletter and snippets of podcasts here and there which is why I am excited to read his book.

At age 61, I have now put my physical work into 4 categories: Strength, Flexibility, Mobility, and Cardio. I do two-a-days, so that gives me 14 opportunities each week. Most weeks I do 4 strength segments (kettlebells + bodyweight), 2 flexibility (yoga flow), 2 mobility (animal movements), and 3 cardio (rowing). I take off 3 segments a week to help with recovery. Within any given category, I can make changes, e.g., on strength, I'm in the middle of six weeks of S&S. For me, the categories were an organizational breakthrough and this mix is keeping me strong and functional.
49 year old, trying to run 2 sessions a day. Morning is “movement practice ”, afternoon S&S. Throwing in some sessions of walking in for cardio. We have some similarities in our split. But as far as I understand you run “blocks” for your trainings. Meaning 6 weeks of S&S, then switching to something else maybe rotating. I don’t do or plan to do that rotation from S&S for at least a year since I am in baby steps of my S&S journey.

Regarding the question of longevity, that’s way above my pay grade. I’m 72 and a relative newbie with kbs. About 3 years now. Prior to being fortunate enough to find Derek T as my coach, I was the quintessential run bike swim guy. Looking back over the last 3 years, I can now appreciate how weak I was. Prior to kbs that is.
More importantly and to the point of the original question, my quality of life is very much improved. Ultimately I don’t get the last word on quantity (of life), but quality is what I make of it.
Sir, congratulations for your progress in 3 years, is your certification on KBs? If you could shed a bit of light in to what level or what type of increase you have observed in quality of life, it could be motivational/informational for us.

Best;

Ege

Definitely more so than crawling.

Dunno. I'm trying to work up to crawling with @Adachi 's furniture on my back by 100. I'll let u know.

Well said.

IMO, most important movement is left and right head nods immediately before crossing the street.

Back
Top Bottom