all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Thoughts on my kettlebell program?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I like your program, I think it is very well balanced for GPP. It looks a little Westside Barbell oriented with 2 days of grinds and 2 days of ballistics.

Looking at your movement selection and volume, you could probably get away with recovery less often if you wanted to. For example, front squats are less taxing than back squats and much of the other work in your program is mostly concentric volume. I find I need more rest from eccentric loading. I feel like "overtraining" is not as common or as big of a concern as it's made out to be.

Not sure if anyone has also experienced this but if I don't perform over-compensation training specifically, I don't feel the need for a recovery week very often at all. However, if I'm pushing hard, I can only get 3 weeks in before needing a recovery week. For a lot of SF programs, I feel the recovery is built into the frequency, volume, and intensity. Similar to @pet' when I do take a recovery week, it is a whole week except I rarely train at all during it, I replace with extra sleep instead (I train first thing in the morning).

@Bro Mo Thanks for the input. I train at 5 am then eat. Maybe a week of extra sleep is a good idea since I do do a lot of walking with my job.

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
In your case, the deload is very 'up to you'. Do it if you feel it is necessary.

Still in your case, depending on if you train for a meet or not, the deload or rest week answers to the question "is my program adapted for the long term ?"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
In your case, the deload is very 'up to you'. Do it if you feel it is necessary.

Still in your case, depending on if you train for a meet or not, the deload or rest week answers to the question "is my program adapted for the long term ?"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Good point. That is why I focus on other exercises and mobility work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom