all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Thoughts on my summer training plan (prepping for a relay race)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Questionfear

Level 4 Valued Member
So I stupidly/overenthusiastically committed to running a relay in August. I don't think I'll be doing more than 10 miles over the course of the day, but it will definitely be in 2-3 chunks, and I want to get my cardio in good enough shape to pull 11 min miles as my easy pace (I'm assuming since it's NJ and August, it's going to be HOT). For background, while I've been pretty lazy when it comes to running, I have run several half marathons in the past, so I'm not a total newbie, just out of shape.

At the same time, I'm going to have all new scheduling restraints because my spouse and I are splitting so I'll have kiddo 50% of the time. This is great but since kiddo comes first, I won't have a ton of time for runs when he's with me, and I probably won't drag him to childcare at the gym more than I have to. Plus I don't want to drop my heavy lifting in favor of all cardio.

So here's what I'm roughly thinking:
Days with no kiddo:
5/3/1 at the gym followed by 20-30 minutes of treadmill time (either 2-3 miles at an easy pace or 2 on/2 off speedwork)
Starting in July-2x per week I'll try to do gym in the AM and an outside run at night, no more than 2ish miles each time, just to get used to running 2x in one day.
Once per week a long slower run, starting at probably 3 miles and aiming to get up to 6 or so.

Days with kiddo:
Gym if time allows
If time doesn't allow, home workouts like S&S and hopefully rowing (hoping to pick up a rower for my new place, since I enjoy the rower at the gym and it's the most compact bang for my buck cardio option).

I will always be free 2x per week because of our custody schedule. The rest of the week I will either have him for 2 days or 5 days (we are doing 2/2/5, so he is with one parent m/tu, the other parent wed/th, then fri/sat/sun alternates each weekend).

I think while this might not leave me in perfect shape, it should get me into reasonably decent shape to not let my friends down. Thoughts?

My two pennies worth...

• Kid comes first
  • Kid comes first
  • You didn't say one way or the other, but I am assuming this is a road course, not trails? (It makes a difference)
  • If the run is important to you I would nix the 5/3/1
  • S&S is fine
  • Rowing is great Cardio Respiratory training... but you are training for a run... so run...
  • Do more LED running
  • Do some tempo running
  • Find out about the course. If it's hilly... train hills...
  • Have fun
  • And Kid comes first:)

My two pennies worth...

• Kid comes first
  • Kid comes first
  • You didn't say one way or the other, but I am assuming this is a road course, not trails? (It makes a difference)
  • If the run is important to you I would nix the 5/3/1
  • S&S is fine
  • Rowing is great Cardio Respiratory training... but you are training for a run... so run...
  • Do more LED running
  • Do some tempo running
  • Find out about the course. If it's hilly... train hills...
  • Have fun
  • And Kid comes first:)

Haha all good points. Like I said, the run is more of a "fun thing to do with my friends and I don't want to embarrass myself" kind of thing, so if I need to I'll drop the 5/3/1 or back off on it in July.

Kiddo definitely comes first. Luckily Kiddo loves fishing and hiking, so i figure I can get some good outdoor time even if I can't run much when he's around. \

The beauty of this relay is that I can skip hills if needed-there's one big big beastly hill on the course but our more experienced runners are planning to tackle it.

I think while this might not leave me in perfect shape, it should get me into reasonably decent shape to not let my friends down. Thoughts?

That sounds like a reasonable quantity of training, you should do fine IMO if you manage to organize everything properly.

Your available time for training seems to fit perfectly for Tactical Barbell, either a base build and or a regular cluster. You have 2/week when you can hit the gym for sure, so if you go for a regular cluster, you could chose Fighter protocol.

Alternatively, a base build requires 3/week endurance and 3/week strength endurance IIRC. Some guys replaced the strength endurance by S&S with good results. It lasts 8 weeks, so it fits your schedule pretty well.

Good luck!

Run a lot, run easily, run at the times of day you'll be doing it in your relay. I'd look up an online training plan for a 10k or 15k race to get some idea of what runners do. Look specifically for a plan designed for first-time runners if that's you.

Read @mprevost's things on designing running programs.

Definitely include a longer run every week or two, and something faster but shorter in one form or another the same - both will help you. Probably aim for "normal" runs building up to about how long each of your segments will take, which sounds like ~40 minutes or so.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom