all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Thoughts on prone hold/plank progressions?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kiwipete

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi Team,

I have been doing a rotating plank sequence as part of a job selection - 30s Front, 30s side, 30s front, 30s side repeat for 6-12min.

Specifically we have been told that the rotating plank sequence correlates well with injury resistance carrying heavy loads for prolonged periods of time.

I've passed my selection and am now questioning how to progress my prone hold/ plank progressions because 12min is not a challenge any more and I'd like to be more strong and enduring than the minimum requirement for work.

Other than increasing the length of the holds - both individual parts of the sequence and the total duration.

What are some ways to build more strength endurance through the core?

Different exercises completely? Or modifications of the exisiting prone hold positions?

And would it be prudent to have a posterior static hold as well to have in my training?

Thank you for any thoughts/ ideas!

Hi Team,

I have been doing a rotating plank sequence as part of a job selection - 30s Front, 30s side, 30s front, 30s side repeat for 6-12min.

Specifically we have been told that the rotating plank sequence correlates well with injury resistance carrying heavy loads for prolonged periods of time.

I've passed my selection and am now questioning how to progress my prone hold/ plank progressions because 12min is not a challenge any more and I'd like to be more strong and enduring than the minimum requirement for work.

Other than increasing the length of the holds - both individual parts of the sequence and the total duration.

What are some ways to build more strength endurance through the core?

Different exercises completely? Or modifications of the exisiting prone hold positions?

And would it be prudent to have a posterior static hold as well to have in my training?

Thank you for any thoughts/ ideas!

In my opinion the natural progression for static holds is to start moving. Crawls and carries. Crawls teaches you to stabilize while moving the limbs and carries takes everything to upright posture.

That suggestions is based on the progression of training. Knowing what your goal/job is will assist me in givinig a more specifics recommendation if applicable.

Last edited:
In my opinion the natural progression for static holds is to start moving. Crawls and carries. Crawls teaches you to stabilize while moving the limbs and carries takes everything to upright postural.

That suggestions is based on the progression of training. Knowing what your goal/job is will assist me in givinig a more specifics recommendation if applicable.

Hi Shahaf,

I have to take several fitness assessments a year which require doing a rotating plank, however the role is close protection which would require (amongst other things) the ability to carry / drag VIPs for short distances i.e. 5-100m.

Pete

Hi Shahaf,

I have to take several fitness assessments a year which require doing a rotating plank, however the role is close protection which would require (amongst other things) the ability to carry / drag VIPs for short distances i.e. 5-100m.

Pete
In that case just make sure that you also carry sandbags in various positions (or some other "odd objects"). And use real sandbags, not those tight vinyl bags that some gyms had.

Thank you for the replies! What is the best learning resource IYO that you know of for all things carries and crawls? OS?

Use physics like all bodyweight movement: remove support or decrease leverage. Also contract harder, see RKC plank. Examples,

- Two arm one leg plank (this is a great glute isolation too).
- Two leg one arm plank (we shake our partner's hand in plank position)
- birddog variations
- heavy dumbell goblet squats are a real core challenge I am finding.
- Put your arms in front of you rather than under you like you are reaching.
- Use fingers rather than palms for support.

- Pavel has a whole book on hanging leg raises. I do them after my Muay Thai workout.

As mentioned:
- Crawls
- Loaded Carries

Also, you can contract your abs at any time. Old time strongmen and classic bodybuilders used moves like the vacuum. The general topic is "muscle control" Search Frank Zane. This is kind of GTG training. Every time I post here it helps to remind me of something I know but should do more of!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom