all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Thoughts on running

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've been using minimalist running shoes as my running shoe for a year. I had to make some adaptations: (1) Getting used to my sense of self including my feet rather than my feet just being a system of transport down below. (2) exploring how my feet interact with the ground.
Both of these were important since casting aside thick running shoes doesn't automatically teach your feet good habits. One has to develop these habits. One can still injure themselves if doing something their body can't tolerate.
While Born To Run is poetic, I doubt I will do much actual barefoot running. The clover in the grass in my local parks attract bees to the ground level and stepping barefoot on bees is no fun.

Hello,

The scale won't tell you what's what. Try a tape measure around the waist at the umbilicus. A height to waist ratio of greater than 2. For those that don't like to jog, try the Rockport 1 mile walking test.

I hardly run - a few blocks once every few weeks, if that - and I consider myself fit. But fit is in the eye of the beholder. At age 65, I can do everything I want to and my doctors say I’m unusually healthy for my age - good heart health, clear coronary blood vessels, good blood pressure, low body fat, good strength, take no medicines. I walk, strength train, and swing kettlebells. Whatever else running might do for me certainly isn’t something I’m aware of needing.

This is interesting because they imply the use of standards, so we have to compare things that are comparable.

For instance, Madame can do 3 pull ups (GTG base) on a good day, and 20 push ups (sets of 5). From a "sport" standpoint, this is not a lot. She weighs roughly 45kg (height is 1,68m). Nonetheless, she can walk for hours (assuming I carry all the stuff hehe).

This is at least better than average. She has very good health reports (blood analysis, etc...).

Nonetheless, this is impossible to compare her to some girls I play boxing with. They run (and need it for boxing purpose), etc...

Both Madame and the boxing girls are considered "healthy". I guess this is a matter of purpose.

Kind regards,

Pet'

This is interesting because they imply the use of standards, so we have to compare things that are comparable.
I guess this is a matter of purpose.
Absolutely yes, a matter of purpose. If memory serves, one of Pavel's books has, near the beginning, the question of who is stronger, a lion or a whale? And that we must know if we're talking about on land or in the sea before we can answer.

But standards - chacun à son goût - to each his own.

-S-

I always feel like something is missing if I don’t have at least a bit of running in my routine. Take that with a grain of salt though; I ran cross country in high school, so running has been a big part of my life in the past.

However, I think running can be easily overdone with bad results. I’ve never felt vital and energetic when I’ve chased miles or trained to hit time benchmarks. Just tired and worn down.

A moderate amount of running at moderate intensity makes me feel good. Mentally as much as physically. More than that is not necessary.

Hello,

It seems like Mark is not very big on running :

Kind regards,

Pet'

Oy veyzmir. That was ... I'm actually not sure why I watched the whole thing. So many words that just are gonna stay all in here. o_O But there was some good stuff in there...

I've been using minimalist running shoes as my running shoe for a year. I had to make some adaptations: (1) Getting used to my sense of self including my feet rather than my feet just being a system of transport down below. (2) exploring how my feet interact with the ground.
Both of these were important since casting aside thick running shoes doesn't automatically teach your feet good habits. One has to develop these habits. One can still injure themselves if doing something their body can't tolerate.
While Born To Run is poetic, I doubt I will do much actual barefoot running. The clover in the grass in my local parks attract bees to the ground level and stepping barefoot on bees is no fun.
If you are going to run barefoot, I recommend finding something smooth and hard. A high school track etc... You actually want the feedback of the hard surface. When I am running a bunch I try to run barefoot occasionally to help remind me of form. The rest of the time I run in Luna sandals , Merrel Bare Access, Topo Athletics or some other low drop or zero drop runner.

I started running at 49, and kept getting injured until I dedicated a year of my life to the Maffetone method and getting used to lower drop shoes. I am now 54 and haven't been injured in awhile. It seems to work for me. I am old, and slow, but I don't limp.

For what it's worth to the conversation I used to run quite a bit. I ran 400, 800 and 1600 meter sprints. Now my sprinting wasn't world class and was done in temps well over 100 degrees F (Iraq) I was stationed in an area where the best I could go was 1600 meters on a concrete dam in Haditha. I marked off 400, 800 and 1600 meters and worked my "sprints". Just as my deployment was going to end I was transferd to a much larger base that was holding the Marine Corps Marathon so I figured what the heck!?!? While I didn't kill the marathon I finished in what I consider a respectable time of 3:49, never running more than a mile at a time.

I'm not a great example but I do believe that training with intensity can make up for duration. Another benefit of training with intensity over duration is that there is less wear on the body. I am not, and will never be considered an endurance person such as those that run, ride or ruck often, but I do believe that really hard work can make up for time/distance so far as conditioning. Just my thoughts.

Hello,

@ShawnM
That is interesting :)

Could you describe, even roughly, what was your training then ? Did you do some kind of repeat, such as a Q&D with sprints ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Nice stuff about running techniques here:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom