all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Thoughts re versaclimber

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Qlqlp

First Post
Hi, I am just starting to try to exercise from zero and want a full body blitz type thing I can do when I'm too busy/lose motivation etc. for my usual workout (perspective check: my usual workout at the moment is 3 sets each of pressups, pull ups and squats!) I thought a versaclimber type climbing machine would be good for a full body intense kabata/HIIT type workout in front of the TV and it would fold up smaller than an exercise bike or rower when not in use....but then I thought hang on, I have a pull up bar and a portable step- so I started doing similar movements on the bar-basically assisting as little as possible with my legs on the step and either alternating sides or doing transverse pulls using right arm/left leg then swopping to left arm/right leg.

So I was wondering if this is going to do the same for me as a home climbing machine but for free? And also any thoughts from somebody who actually knows what they are doing about whether this is even a good idea or better alternatives would be very welcome! I'm 42 and trying to break a lifetime habit of not exercising so my priorities for now are baby steps and maximal results for minimal time input (so that I actually do it). Hoping this will change as I get into a regular exercise habit. Thanks in advance for any replies.

@Qlqlp welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Skip the machines and gadgets. Buy Kettlebell Simple and Sinister, buy an 8 kg kettlebell, and let getting stronger be your motivation.

-S-

Hi, I am just starting to try to exercise from zero and want a full body blitz type thing I can do when I'm too busy/lose motivation etc. for my usual workout (perspective check: my usual workout at the moment is 3 sets each of pressups, pull ups and squats!) I thought a versaclimber type climbing machine would be good for a full body intense kabata/HIIT type workout in front of the TV and it would fold up smaller than an exercise bike or rower when not in use....but then I thought hang on, I have a pull up bar and a portable step- so I started doing similar movements on the bar-basically assisting as little as possible with my legs on the step and either alternating sides or doing transverse pulls using right arm/left leg then swopping to left arm/right leg.

So I was wondering if this is going to do the same for me as a home climbing machine but for free? And also any thoughts from somebody who actually knows what they are doing about whether this is even a good idea or better alternatives would be very welcome! I'm 42 and trying to break a lifetime habit of not exercising so my priorities for now are baby steps and maximal results for minimal time input (so that I actually do it). Hoping this will change as I get into a regular exercise habit. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I am not sure about how well this will work for your overall goals, but lifting yourself up using opposing arm/leg onto a crate etc would be an OK analog - left leg/right hand, come back down under load and switch, or switch at the top, back down, back up, one rep. You will find after a short time it might be tough to isolate/balance the arm and leg movements and you'll be doing more with the arm or leg. Also, since you are already doing pullups and squat it is a bit redundant, crawling might do a better job.

If this is a good fit for your fitness level I'd give it a try. I'd also alternate it out with other movements.

I'd ditch the TV, focus on the quality of your effort.

I'd also include some swings or deadlifts, even single leg deadlift with a light load. That way you get a push/pull/squat/and hinge.

The climbers, crawling etc could be considered a compound movement to tie the rest together.

I agree with the other responses that you could be doing better for your time, but is also important you develop some discipline and experience some success, however that happens is a positive and what you're doing certainly can achieve these to some extent. Branch out just as soon as your fitness levels/discipline become a little better developed.

Welcome! I'd definitely take Steve Freides' advice and go for a kettlebell; they're kind of a perfect all-round tool for someone in your position as you can get really amazing results from regular training, even if it's just a matter of 20 minutes or so every other day and you can use it as a door stop when you're not using it to get stronger. It's a win-win! Trust me; kettlebell swings are addictive.

+1 for crawling. I've used the versa climber before but not many times because I didn't like it. If a Jacobs ladder wasn't so pricey, it would be great though. For mindless calorie expenditure, I think an elliptical is tough to beat if you have the space for it.

If money is not limited get a versa climber .... outstandingly effective tool...

However if money and sustained motivation are questionable just crawl and get a cost-effective KB - its incredible value for money.

I've had my 20kg bell for 10 years and it's the gift that keeps giving- versatile, cheap and effective :)

@Qlqlp : Welcome the forum :)
+1 for what @Steve Freides said.
Further, no training in front of a TV. You need your full concentration on the movement and your body, not on the TV show. Man (and woman) are not meant to multitask.

Further, no training in front of a TV. You need your full concentration on the movement and your body, not on the TV show. Man (and woman) are not meant to multitask.

I both agree and disagree with this.

Yes, for high skill exercises you need to be able to concentrate.

However, I train in front of a TV (usually watching sports) all the time. For high skill exercises like KBs, clubbells and maces, I ignore the TV during my sets, but do watch while recovering between sets. It's task switching, not multitasking. I've done some of my best training sessions watching consecutive NFL or NBA games.

For steady state cardio, I mostly use a NordicTrack skier in front of the TV. I generally don't have any time at home when I am not on child care duty, so it's hard to go outside on my own--plus I honestly find it boring. Using a machine in the house in front of the TV makes it tolerable. Thank goodness for classic game replays on NBATV.

If space and money were of no consequence, I would probably have a VersaClimber in my equipment arsenal. I know a lot of the Cleveland Cavaliers use it extensively in their training.

@Steve W., no outside running or walking? I think part of the point, at least for me, of steady-state cardio is practicing the art of moving while maintaining good form and being as relaxed as possible. I couldn't do that and do anything else, and it's definitely a restorative practice for me as well as exercise.

JMO.

-S-

@Steve W., no outside running or walking? I think part of the point, at least for me, of steady-state cardio is practicing the art of moving while maintaining good form and being as relaxed as possible. I couldn't do that and do anything else, and it's definitely a restorative practice for me as well as exercise.

JMO.

-S-

I do walk the dog for usually three short walks a day, totalling around 30 minutes.

I don't run for exercise. My knees and ankles are bone on bone; even normal walking is somewhat painful, especially for my ankles, and my orthopedist has advised me that I should not run or jump. I still play full court basketball about once a week for usually about 3 hours, but that's about all the running I can stand in a week, and the fun of playing distracts from the physical discomfort.

Last edited:
I use the versa climber during our THOR3 circuit training, and it typically comes after the "curve" treadmill (AKA the Devil's treadmill). So really I use it to catch my breath and not puke before moving onto the next exercise.

I really dont see the need for such a sport specific piece of equipment. And honestly I only see people use them as "cardio" between sets of pushups, dips, whatever. I'll echo the sentiment about getting a kettlebell w/S&S. It'll pay off in the long run.

lastly, if you're dead set on looking for a low impact cardio machine, I would suggest you look into the Concept 2 Row machine. I think its the best money I've spent on a specific piece of cardio equipment.

-WF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom