all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thread for the Newbies...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Attended and successfully completed the SFG Course in Prague. Several small corrections in my swing technique. Good discussion on TGU vs. bent presses due to my knee issues. The bottom line TGUs are better in my case so work on them. Good instruction on improving (translation - doing) goblet squats. Identified lack of balance on one leg and provided instruction for improvement. Highly recommend attendance in the SFG Course.

In the squatting block of instruction one task was the one leg squat, an unweighted pistol. I was unable to complete the task because I could not balance myself on either leg. After a short time on S&S I and several others noticed improved balance on two legs. It never occurred to me that I had a problem to balance myself on one leg. Maybe others have the same problem. Test yourself in a safe location, no shoes please, and check your balance on both legs. If you don't pass the test then “grease the groove” and practice balancing yourself on one leg a short time several times a day.

Congrats Mr. Boosh32!

I got back in to doing goblet squats and they have helped TREMENDOUSLY for my posture and hip flexibility. Mr. Al Ciampa has an excellent method for how to use them pre workout. If you ask Ms Anna C, she can probably explain it much better than I can, or even ask Mr Ciampa himself.

Attended and successfully completed the SFG Course in Prague. Several small corrections in my swing technique. Good discussion on TGU vs. bent presses due to my knee issues. The bottom line TGUs are better in my case so work on them. Good instruction on improving (translation - doing) goblet squats. Identified lack of balance on one leg and provided instruction for improvement. Highly recommend attendance in the SFG Course.

In the squatting block of instruction one task was the one leg squat, an unweighted pistol. I was unable to complete the task because I could not balance myself on either leg. After a short time on S&S I and several others noticed improved balance on two legs. It never occurred to me that I had a problem to balance myself on one leg. Maybe others have the same problem. Test yourself in a safe location, no shoes please, and check your balance on both legs. If you don't pass the test then “grease the groove” and practice balancing yourself on one leg a short time several times a day.

Outstanding Boosh32!

Really.

Well done!!

Rested from the SFG Course on 27 Feb by 01 Mar but a bad cold had started so no kettlebell practicing. Cold mostly gone by 07 Mar but twisted my right knee while clearing snow that day. It is a lot better but it will be some more days before I can resume kettlebell practicing. Today I will try some activities with kettlebells as it has been two weeks of recovery and it is time for rehab.

Quick disclaimer, my knees have been bad for over 20 years and I know what is wrong with them. The technique I am going to describe only applies to me. Don't try this at home!

After twisting my right knee I was unable to walk. Crutches were not an option as I could not hold my leg in a bent position. I decided to try planking my right leg only using the S&S method as the technique, pulling up the knee cap and making a firm right glut. This worked and I was able to move around the house. After a few days I was able to more without using the plank. Moral of the story – your training may be used in ways you never thought of.

@Boosh32, I have high-mileage knees and ankles - I love working on pistols as they really help both areas feel better. I like your one-legged plank idea. You might also give the one-legged deadlift a try.

-S-

Today I tried various kettlebell movements to see what I can do. I can't move my knee much so I placed a 12kg kettlebell at waist height on a shelf to start. Halos are no problem. Military presses are no problem. I then tried getups to my elbows and that went went well. Tomorrow I will go to my hands. I can now do my one leg balancing homework on both legs. Two leg squats will be a while. I can do a left leg partial pistol.

@Steve Freides

I agree that kettlebells are good for knees. Mine are much better after four months of regular practice. I watched a good YouTube video of a one-legged deadlift and I can add that to my rehab. I have a balance problem doing pistols but it is getting better since I have been doing my homework. A couple of hours ago I tried various movements and I think I have a workable program for rehab.

I was lightly doing the activities I discussed in the earlier post and doing ok. On the 24th the pain level starting increasing so I stopped practicing and also my injured knee was a lot warmer then my other knee. I visited my GP the 29th and he didn't think it was bursitis and he ordered an MRI.

There is too my discomfort in my right knee to plank so I will try a S&S mental practice. Visualization of a task to improve performance is a tool used with success in many areas. I tried it a little last night and it isn't as easy as it sounds. I'll start with the steps in the Sumo dead-lift. I have already decided to start the StrongFirst BW program when I meet the S&S simple standard. This might be a good time to do some isometric pull-up hangs.

The Army Warrior Ethos applies here.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

Do be smart and don't try to push through pain. If you are having problems see you doctor. Adapt your activities to what you can do safely!

In the spirit of this thread I thought I'd share a couple of things that have helped me recently and given me some direction in refining my s + s form.

One is Martine's Kerr's instagram (kultfitness) which has some great short videos breaking down small details in what to me seems a really effective manner. Especially useful to me is her stuff on TGU movement prep.

Also today I found a video on dr mark cheng's youtube channel covering the hardstyle lock plank. I think my plank at the top of the swing has always been a weak point with me not really grasping or feeling what I'm meant to be achieving and just going through this video fired up my glutes in a way they havnt been fired before and has given me a hopefully breakthrough moment on that aspect. Might be obvious to some but definitely wasn't to me.

My right knee is better but still a long way from before the latest injury on 01 Mar. The injury was not related to kettlebells in any way. I am getting an MRI of it next week and it will take another week to learn the results. My personal opinion based on previous knee injuries is surgery is going to be required. No problem – develop mission plan.

The ability to perform kettlebell tasks other than pressing to StrongFirst standards is not possible. Some body weight tasks can be performed to StrongFirst standards. Enabling tasks such as modified face-the-wall squats from ETK and breathing though a straw from S&S can be performed. Homework, supported squats and balance on one leg, from the SFG Kettlebell Course can be performed. Plan return to S&S practice. Attend SFB Bodyweight Course in Czech Republic 2017.

Also today I found a video on dr mark cheng's youtube channel covering the hardstyle lock plank. I think my plank at the top of the swing has always been a weak point with me not really grasping or feeling what I'm meant to be achieving and just going through this video fired up my glutes in a way they havnt been fired before and has given me a hopefully breakthrough moment on that aspect. Might be obvious to some but definitely wasn't to me.

James - can you post a link to this particular video? I'm always interested in a new tip!
Cheers,
Simon.

Great tutorial from my SFG team leader.

@Maq, have a look at the video above.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom