all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thursday, 20 Jan 2022, I'll Be On StrongFirst Italy's Facebook Live!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Thursday, January 20, 2022, I will be a guest on Fabio Zonin's "Strength Pills," a weekly feature of StrongFirst Italy on Facebook. The program will be conducted in both English and Italian. More info at the link below.

Code:
https://facebook.com/strongfirstitaly/posts/1097557604414426/

Note about the page in the link above: I wrote my bio for this in English, Fabio did a fine job of translating it into Italian, and Facebook has mangles translating it back into English. If anyone would like me to add the original English here, LMK and I'll do just that.)

Note also that previous episodes are all still available on the StrongFirst Italy page. For Fabio's guests who speak Italian, the program is entirely in Italian, but many of the episodes will necessarily be in English and those will be good watching for everyone here.

-S-

Last edited:
It will be at 14:30 (2:30 pm) my time, which is 20:30 (8:30 PM) Central European Time, and19:30 (7:30 pm) GMT. If you're in California, 11:30 am.

If anyone else's Facebook works like mine, it shows the time in the correct and local time zone for me. I see "Thursday at 2:30 pm" when I look at the Facebook page.

-S-

Thanks Steve, I've put a thingy on my calendar, hopefully I'll be able to watch.

Thanks Steve. Will mark it on my calendar and if not live, maybe can catch the recorded version a bit later !

Enjoyed this episode and found it interesting about your study on jazz.

A friend of mine introduced me to the genre as a teenager and I actually have a jazz drummer as a student

@Mark Limbaga, a cute (IMO) story about why I started playing guitar.

My paternal grandfather was a professional pianist, born in 1895, who lost everything in the Great Depression. My father, who was a true lover of classical music, made two decisions about me and music: that I should never become a professional musician was the first one. The second one was that I needed all the help I could get in "getting girls" - I'm not quite sure how he made that decision when I was in first grade, but he did, and to that end, he decided I should play the guitar and not the piano, and that I shouldn't study classical music but instead what he perceived to be the opposite, which was jazz. I don't recall expressing any interest in music lessons nor having an opinion about what instrument - my Dad just decided these things.

End of cute story.

Against my father's wishes, I became a professional musician and learned to play the piano, too, although I didn't even try it until it was a requirement in college. I went on to a doctoral degree in choral conducting and taught music theory, history, and the like at the college level. And it's also interesting (well, to me, anyway) that one of the only places a classical musician gets to improvise - and we all associated improvisation with jazz - is when you're a church organist, which I am. Organists are their own world, and they even have competitions in improvisation, have workshops in improvising in a classical/liturgical context, and the like. It's kind of having come full circle, improvising in church on the organ after having started playing jazz guitar.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom