all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Tight lower back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brandon Trahan

Level 5 Valued Member
Been doing some kettlebell programs and I’ve had an sfg II check my technique with my swings , snatches and he corrects it when necessary. For the most part my technique is good to prevent this but he said i may need to get my PSOAS checked.

Anyone else struggle with a tight lower back when swinging bells?

Generally, no. However, if I push for too long (lots of volume) and my form breaks down my lower back gets tight. As soon as I feel it I stop for the day. I don't want to practice bad reps and reinforce bad form.

For me, my breakdown can occur by not hinging properly. If I start getting tired I can start getting lazy with my hinge, for example, not pushing my a#@ backwards enough and not keeping my lats tight (rounding).

Generally, no. However, if I push for too long (lots of volume) and my form breaks down my lower back gets tight. As soon as I feel it I stop for the day. I don't want to practice bad reps and reinforce bad form.

For me, my breakdown can occur by not hinging properly. If I start getting tired I can start getting lazy with my hinge, for example, not pushing my a#@ backwards enough and not keeping my lats tight (rounding).

yea see ! It’s either volume or laziness with my form. But i know That’s the ultimate no no here. So that’s why my buddy even said after seeing my snatches, that they looked good but should get my psoas checked. So it’s frustrating.

I have had such issues from two reasons. Either I overextend at the top, or I I don't stretch or massage my hamstrings and glutes enough.

yea see ! It’s either volume or laziness with my form. But i know That’s the ultimate no no here. So that’s why my buddy even said after seeing my snatches, that they looked good but should get my psoas checked. So it’s frustrating.

Keep in mind that I am flexion intolerant with a past history of lower back issues. Fortunately I'm pain free for years now. I've wrote about this a lot on this forum. I just state this because I am probably much more aware of my lower back position, AND, much more sensitize to tightness, than the average person swinging bells. I'm stopping even with the slightest indication of something being wrong.

If I feel that extreme tightness, I like to do the cobra pose (yoga) on the floor or even on the bed. I learned this from Pavel in his book (Super Joints I think). I'll bring a book and stay in that position for up to 30 min sometimes. This doesnt happen to me very often anymore, maybe twice per year. But it happened over the late December Holidays at my parents house. I was on 2 week vacation in Florida and I brought a 32kg bell (relatively light bell for me), and went to do my 20 repeats of 5 snatches. Half way through, my back tightened up. I stopped and did my cobra and was fine. 2 days later I was back to normal.

The 1st thing is to get your form checked. And you did this and this, in general, doesnt seem to be the issue (unless it breaks down under fatigue, which the trainer may not have seen). I dont know anything about you or what program you are doing, or what sports you are into (based on your pic some martial art, which may also strain the lower back?). But, in general, I would CONSIDER doing less. Especially if you think it is happening later in your workouts. Pareto's Law, the 80/20 Rule, states you can likely get 80% of the benefit doing 20% of the effort. For example, if you were doing 10x10 3 times per week, temporarily try 10x5 or 5x10 3-5 times per week. Just try it and see if your back tightness goes away. You are still likely getting 90% of the benefits of your swings, even by doing less.

Keep in mind that I am flexion intolerant with a past history of lower back issues. Fortunately I'm pain free for years now. I've wrote about this a lot on this forum. I just state this because I am probably much more aware of my lower back position, AND, much more sensitize to tightness, than the average person swinging bells. I'm stopping even with the slightest indication of something being wrong.

If I feel that extreme tightness, I like to do the cobra pose (yoga) on the floor or even on the bed. I learned this from Pavel in his book (Super Joints I think). I'll bring a book and stay in that position for up to 30 min sometimes. This doesnt happen to me very often anymore, maybe twice per year. But it happened over the late December Holidays at my parents house. I was on 2 week vacation in Florida and I brought a 32kg bell (relatively light bell for me), and went to do my 20 repeats of 5 snatches. Half way through, my back tightened up. I stopped and did my cobra and was fine. 2 days later I was back to normal.

The 1st thing is to get your form checked. And you did this and this, in general, doesnt seem to be the issue (unless it breaks down under fatigue, which the trainer may not have seen). I dont know anything about you or what program you are doing, or what sports you are into (based on your pic some martial art, which may also strain the lower back?). But, in general, I would CONSIDER doing less. Especially if you think it is happening later in your workouts. Pareto's Law, the 80/20 Rule, states you can likely get 80% of the benefit doing 20% of the effort. For example, if you were doing 10x10 3 times per week, temporarily try 10x5 or 5x10 3-5 times per week. Just try it and see if your back tightness goes away. You are still likely getting 90% of the benefits of your swings, even by doing less.
In other words, more rounds with lower reps will still give me the same benefits?

In other words, more rounds with lower reps will still give me the same benefits?

In general, Yes. If not the same benefits, it will be very close, and more importantly you will learn if this is the cause of your problems. At the end of the day, it is likely a form issue (when fatigued) or you are really hammering your back with other activities. If you are doing swings properly, you shouldn't feel it in your lower back. You should feel it in the glutes, hamstrings, maybe calves if you are really explosive.

Are you doing S&S?

Maybe have a qualified trainer watch you perform an entire workout, one with a lot of volume. Maybe he/she will see something in the last half of the workout.

Let's see what others on this forum think.

Regards,

Eric

In general, Yes. If not the same benefits, it will be very close, and more importantly you will learn if this is the cause of your problems. At the end of the day, it is likely a form issue (when fatigued) or you are really hammering your back with other activities. If you are doing swings properly, you shouldn't feel it in your lower back. You should feel it in the glutes, hamstrings, maybe calves if you are really explosive.

Are you doing S&S?

Maybe have a qualified trainer watch you perform an entire workout, one with a lot of volume. Maybe he/she will see something in the last half of the workout.

Regards,

Eric
Yes when i do Like 10x3 swings (heavy 56kg) it definitely doesn’t make my back tight! Weird! It’s always the medium weight that seems to do it for me. Like snatches with my 28kg bells. I’m currently 300 lbs. pretty husky. Good amount of muscle but gotta lose the belly.
Yes sir I’ve had instructors watch me. My form is good but they think i need To get my psoas checked and work on strengthening and loosening up the hammys. Appreciate all your feedback!

And no

Are you doing S&S?

Regards,

Eric

PS. No S&S for me. More quick and the dead style stuff.

PS. No S&S for me. More quick and the dead style stuff.

Interesting. I did read the book but I haven't tried it myself. It doesnt seem like it is a lot of volume. But it is a program that is chasing the clock, so to speak. Chasing the clock CAN cause form break down if you are not careful. Maybe try going down a bell size for 2 weeks and see what happens. Good luck to you! I know these things can be frustrating!

Regards,

Eric

Do you do the S&S stretches -- QL straddle and 90/90? These muscles can hold a lot of tension if you don't practice releasing it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom