all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tim Ferriss Interviews Pavel

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisS

Level 5 Valued Member
For those interested in a good listen

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/01/15/pavel-tsatsouline/

It's a good day for podcasts; Scott Iardella has just released an interview with Chad Waterbury

http://rdellatraining.com/chad-waterbury-high-frequency-training

during which Pavel is discussed.

Great info, wisdom, and fun as well.

Side note:  I have looked up the Plutarch reference (athlete vs. military training) Chief was talking about, here it is for those are interested:

..the habit of body and mode of life for athlete and soldier were totally different, and particularly that their diet and training were not the same, since the one required much sleep, continuous surfeit of food, and fixed periods of activity and repose, in order to preserve or improve their condition, which the slightest influence or the least departure from routine is apt to change for the worse; whereas the soldier ought to be conversant with all sorts of irregularity and all sorts of inequality, and above all should accustom himself to endure lack of food easily, and as easily lack of sleep.
(Plutarch’s Lives, Philopoemen)

@Pavel Macek

That quote is pure gold!  That pretty much sums up why I get so frustrated with powerlifting and strength-athlete coaches trying to coach military/police/fire/ems with one-size-fits-all programs based around heavy barbell compound lifts multiple times a week and nothing else.

Barbell lifting is great, but getting to a 700lb deadlift isn't going to help one damn bit on a ruck march (not anymore than a 2x bodyweight deadlift, at least), and ruck marches still happen in the modern military with quite frequency despite what powerlifting coaches that were never in the military and are coaching out of their element want to believe.  I've been on them in the past and guys I've served with that are still serving were doing marches on their most recent deployments.

The guys in Strongfirst, with special shoutouts to Pavel and Al Ciampa, really get what guys are up against with the broken/lack-of sleep, little time and physical demands on military/police/fire/ems and how to build ourselves for those demands.

Well everyone has their strength they need/want. As a Martial Artist I have no desire to pull 700+ lbs from the floor. I am more interested in power output and stamina for stand up fighting. That gravitates me toward the KB and BW training more than the BB. I am glad that Strong First has all strength in mind from Service men to Athletes to Average Guy with Kids in mind.

I would say it is more question of programming than the tool. Kettlebells and bodyweight are excellent for martial arts/combat sports, however, I also have great results with Easy Strength (!) practice of  barbell Deadlifts, Bench Presses and Full Contact Twists.

Anyway, as you said Mike, "am glad that Strong First has all strength in mind from Service men to Athletes to Average Guy with Kids in mind." Exactly.

Very true.

I was just generalizing and yes you are correct. Thanks for that.

Breakfast-Coffee

Great interview, Tim is a good interviewer and it was nice to hear Pavel go in depth on a variety of subjects. The most interesting part to me was the discussion on hypertrophy and the slow twitch training regimen (I will not attempt to spell the Russian researcher's name, but it is about an hour in).

Travis-  Thanks for the heads-up!  May have missed it if you did not post :]   Need to take my dog for a good, long walk and will check this interview out...

Awesome interview Pavel (Tim Ferriss Show).  You exemplify the true nature of what an American should be!!!  While I have come across your work previously and certainly knew your name,  I now have a greater appreciation for your work and will be more keen/intune to follow your advice.  Thanks much for contributing to the greater good.

Travis, yes thanks for posting.  Pavel, you crossed a lot of 't's and dotted a lot of 'i's for me explaining some theory behind the practice, thank you.

I loved it.  Highlights for me were the discussion between 30-45 minutes, over sharin, and the last chunk of discussion on looking for what's good in a culture/America.  Great stuff.  Very rich discussion.

I think my favorite quote I heard Pavel use via Erik is the "calm is contagious, calm is contagious"

That really resonates with me as it is something I need to work on. Thanks Pavel!

Loved it.  I see the everything-is-urgent-tail-chasers all the time.  I usually know they're going to say something stupid beforehand by their body language, or lack thereof.

So many amazing nuggets in this interview!  My feet now hurt after a 90min walk with my dog listening to this podcast.  Did not quite finish.

Just great to hear Tim and Pavel cover many different areas that I don't typically get in the pure Stong First forum and material and other articles.

Favorite quotes from the podcast:

"Sound check.  Breakfast.  Coffee."
At Starbucks "It just has to be Pablo.  Coffee for Pablo.  There is just no other way."

At one point Pavel was going to share some trick(s) for dealing with the eating for hypertrophy. Then they said they would come back to it after something else...and then either it got dropped or I missed it. Did anybody hear Pavel's trick(), and if so, do you have a guess when it occurred?

>So…

> How many of you have purchased your COC grippers?

OK...I admit it Jeffery.  I did order a couple :]  I have 2 at home, but I must have "sissy" hands because I hate to use them after my hands are already a little beat up from KB's.  So I ordered the Zenith model.  Grease the groove here I come.

My biggest "Ah ha" moment from the interview was that flexibility is turning off, relaxing, and super importantly, patience.  My flexibility has been getting worse and I am the first to admit I don't like to warm-up before and stretch after/ later once the main practice course is done.   Patience here I come too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom