all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tim Ferriss Interviews Pavel

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Fantastic interview.  Love that Pavel's message is the exact same as 2005 when I first heard it.  This is classic, old school Pavel - like listening to Grand Funk Railroad the second time around.

Don't forget - heavy KB ballistics makes the hold on muscles strong.  Back in the day I closed my COC # 2 x 9 (3 on left side) by doing lots of relatively heavy swings and snatches.

My biggest a-ha was that I need to go home and do KBs and pullups.

Thanks, ladies and gents!

Sean, I think "We are an American band" by Grand Funk Railroad is great;]

Sean, are you saying you could fully close the #2 nine times?  That is solid!

Michael, I haven't listened to the interview yet, but to give you an example of patience and flexibility, one of my sons came home from school one day with a few of his friends and found me sitting on the living room floor, in a side split, reading the newspaper.  He looked at me and said, "You really do this stuff, don't you?" and I nodded my head Yes.

-S-

Steve, Chief is talking about you in the interview :)

Great, great interview!! A "must listen to" again and again. So much good stuff I had to pull my car off the road several times just to absorb every pearl of wisdom. Hope to hear more Pavel Podcasts as I get so much out of listening to Pavel. Love the common sense simplistic view!

breakfast- coffee!

Pavel, this is the first time I've heard you comment on any music genre other than hard rock/heavy metal…and it's Grand Funk Railroad? You never cease to surprise. I haven't gotten to the music section of the interview yet; I'm a little scared now...

Sean, closing the #2 for 9 reps without focused gripper training is very impressive!  I'm guessing that you didn't use a "set" either, which makes it even more impressive.  Or if you did you use your offhand (non-gripping hand) to pull the gripper handles together, you didn't pull the handles in very much.  Just enough to get your pinky comfortably on the handle.  I've ran into a good number of guys who train with kettlebells over the years who have closed my #2.  I closed my first #3 gripper over a decade ago.  Then certified with IronMind in 2005.  And I'm still impressed by "regular" guys who close the #2 without spending a bunch of time focused on it.  Because I will readily admit that it took me about 9 months to be able to close the #2.  And I started off with above average grip strength.  Over half a dozen of my coworkers have closed the #2.  All but two of them didn't even train grippers.
There's a lot to be said for ballistic thick bar training.  And most decent-sized kettlebells have relatively thick handles.  Andrew Durniat comes immediately to mind as a guy who trained a lot with kettlebells and who had a phenomenal grip.  He credits ballistic thick bar training (both kettlebells and the IronMind Apollon's Axle) for a large part of his huge level of hand strength.

Jeffery, a song like Highway Star or Space Truckin' is pure gold to swing to! As soon as I do getups though with anything above the 24, the music gets shut off. I need total concentration LOL!

Pavel, the interview was marvelous! So much knowledge. I wish you'd release a lecture series. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat. I also agree 100% on yiur assessment of music--no middle ground! Wether it's yin or yang, it needs PASSION! Love it! I about hit the floor when you listed Iron Maiden, Saxon and Accept as some of your favorite bands.  I've seen Maiden live more times than another band. They are still amazing in their 50s and remarkably fit--especially the singer, Bruce Dickenson.

Although a bit more cartoonish, ManOwar is an awesome metal band befitting of a StrongFirst mindset. Get the album, Sign of the Hammer and do your Hardestyle swings!

Update - Part 2, Q&A! 

Pavel answers 15 most popular questions!

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/01/15/pavel-tsatsouline/

I have a question about the best strength training techniques that Pavel talked about with Tim.

He said that the best way to train for strength when weightlifting is to go 3-5 reps of a weight that you could do for 10, but how will you know when its time to move up weight if its (for the most part) generally much easier?  Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Dan, test yourself periodically.  A few times a year is about right.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom