all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Time to complete s and s

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lokate

Level 4 Valued Member
I read on different threads that the workouts take them 40 minutes or even more.
I am finished in about 25 minutes.
I thought that was so great about this routine, that it is short.
For me as martial artist thats Just great because i can fit it in eseay.
Do I do something wrong?
Sometimes i use the warming-up from the book, other times i Just use my own warming-up.
As i said, i like the routine because its short. I cant imagine how you can do more then 40 minutes for this workout.
I dont train to light. 24 kilo for swings with one set of 32.
Can someone explain? Maybay its because i do sport for very long. More then 40 years Now.

depends on how heavy you are going and how conditioned you are. It can take 40 min if you take your time and let your heartrate recover prior to starting the next set.

So its not bad if you do it in 25?
Otherwise it has no use if you workout 45-50 minutes 4-5 days a week.
If you only do that workout i think its okay, but if you have other things to train its way to much time.

yeah thats why its flexible. I typically take 30-45 min each day about 5 days a week but I'm in no hurry.

Total session (WA+swings+TGU) takes me 20-50min, depending on how i feel and how hard i push it.
Usually a session is about 35-40min and that's with plenty of rest (aerobic swings and ~5min rest between swings and TGU).

What people seem to forget (and what is a big game changer for me) - you can work out at home.
My old gym was only 10min away from my apartment. Packing my bag, going there, change clothes, going back added up to 30min. Even a program with short workout times (5/3/1, SS, Greyskull, 5x5) will take ~60min to complete. That's a total of 90min.
With S&S i can just slip into my shorts and start the session.

Lokate,

What Kettlebelephant said.

My TOTAL prep time for my practice session is about 6 minutes, including setting up the HRM.

From my first rep of the warm-up to the last part of my current 3TGU is ~32 minutes.

The time varies due to level of conditioning and age; the two factors that seem to play the heaviest into recovery between swing sets.

Also time of day can affect recovery time.

In the afternoon, my recovery time between sets can be as much as 4:00, making for a 50-55:00 session.

In the morning my recovery time is under 2:00, making for ~32:00 session.

If your current recovery time is correct, and you can finish in under 25:00 with nearly flawless form one-handed 24kg swings,
then it might be time to put some more of those 32kg swings in.

It sounds as if you are doing well, as long as you are doing it very well.

Usually a session is about 35-40min and that's with plenty of rest (aerobic swings and ~5min rest between swings and TGU).

Kbe,

I've heard some go right into TGU after swings, but you take ~5 minute rest.

I just wait until my HR is down as if I was going to do another set of swings.

Do you realize a benefit from that much rest between swings and TGUs?

I might try that.

Um, just to make sure my reading comprehension is what it should be the cue to move up into another weight is:

Swings - 100 1HS in 5:00 or less
TGU - 10 TGU's in 10:00 or less

Um, just to make sure my reading comprehension is what it should be the cue to move up into another weight is:

Swings - 100 1HS in 5:00 or less
TGU - 10 TGU's in 10:00 or less
You should be able to test yourself and pass those standards before moving up. If it were a sport or competition, consider that the "event", but not necessarily what your day-to-day training looks like. You want to start each set completely fresh in your normal sessions. You shouldn't still be huffing and puffing at the start of the next set. Ultimately, if you can do your session 4+ times a week without feeling burned out, then you're doing alright. If its hard to recover that quickly or you're feeling drained, you might want to rest more during the swings. It sounds like even when a person owns a bell, 10 minutes would actually be a really good total time for the swings. One or two sessions a week of intentionally compressing the time probably wouldn't be too much though.

Simple & Sinister Progression Tactic | StrongFirst

Kbe,

I've heard some go right into TGU after swings, but you take ~5 minute rest.

I just wait until my HR is down as if I was going to do another set of swings.

Do you realize a benefit from that much rest between swings and TGUs?

I might try that.
After I complete my swings I wait until my HR comes down to 115BPM (the HR I start to swing again during my swing sets). Then I take off my HR monitor, take a sip of water, place the KB on the spot and set up my stopwatch. This (HR recovery + setting up for the TGUs) takes somewhere between 2-5min.
I have rushed immediatly into the TGUs before so i know the difference. Waiting until my HR comes down and then some seconds more really makes a difference in my TGU performance. Not so much in the time it takes me to complete the 10reps, but the quality of the reps is so much better.
It's about practicing the movement as fresh as possible. Keep the low-rest stuff for the test days.

I have a similar experience to KBE, I can go straight(ish) to the TGU but I find my performance much better once I take a few minutes rest between the swings and TGUs.

Mine took (not doing it yet, got a shoulder injury) when I did it before, about 35 minutes. But I only did one set of warmups because I cannot tell you how much I despise them. I don't know why.

After I complete my swings I wait until my HR comes down to 115BPM (the HR I start to swing again during my swing sets). Then I take off my HR monitor, take a sip of water, place the KB on the spot and set up my stopwatch. This (HR recovery + setting up for the TGUs) takes somewhere between 2-5min.

That's almost exactly what I do.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Mine took (not doing it yet, got a shoulder injury) when I did it before, about 35 minutes. But I only did one set of warmups because I cannot tell you how much I despise them. I don't know why.

I don't know if I'd go as far as despise the warm-up, but it can seem like a waste of time. I
wanna swing!!

But I DO all three sets of the warmup because I can't afford to get injured. I use my body at work. S&S compliments my schedule and work very well.

How'd you hurt your shoulder and how long before you can get back to swinging?

I don't know if I'd go as far as despise the warm-up, but it can seem like a waste of time. I
wanna swing!!

But I DO all three sets of the warmup because I can't afford to get injured. I use my body at work. S&S compliments my schedule and work very well.

How'd you hurt your shoulder and how long before you can get back to swinging?

Hiya Lew.

To be honest, I don't know how I hurt it. A physio ran an assessment and did ultrasound and there's a problem with a rotator cuff tendon. Thickening or pinching of it, meaning upward arm extension is very difficult - the arm just won't 'go' up completely.

Physio also says that the front of my trunk is stronger than the rear and my shoulders are starting to slightly hunch. When I am recovered he wants to put me on things like rear flies and triceps extensions to counterbalance it.

Also says t-spine very stiff and poor shoulder mobility. (You will probably be yelling at me to do my haloes, now!! ;-) )

I'm not to enamoured by thought of such exercises but he is one of the top physios in the UK and has worked with Olympians and other household names, so I can't really argue much as he is an expert.

Think he's doing an FMS as well, when a bit better.

But I am hoping that he will allow me to do S & S instead of those flyes...

Think caused by a combination of poor pressing technique in bygone days and a tendency to hunch forwards when I swing, when I am tired, in the past - I will have to watch this VERY closely when I am back up in action and ensure my shoulder blades are pinched. I can swing now, but he wants me to rest. TGU is a no-no as my shoulder collapses when going from the elbow to the sit-up, when the arm is raised overhead.

Hiya Lew.

To be honest, I don't know how I hurt it. A physio ran an assessment and did ultrasound and there's a problem with a rotator cuff tendon. Thickening or pinching of it, meaning upward arm extension is very difficult - the arm just won't 'go' up completely.

Physio also says that the front of my trunk is stronger than the rear and my shoulders are starting to slightly hunch. When I am recovered he wants to put me on things like rear flies and triceps extensions to counterbalance it.

Also says t-spine very stiff and poor shoulder mobility. (You will probably be yelling at me to do my haloes, now!! ;-) )

I'm not to enamoured by thought of such exercises but he is one of the top physios in the UK and has worked with Olympians and other household names, so I can't really argue much as he is an expert.

Think he's doing an FMS as well, when a bit better.

But I am hoping that he will allow me to do S & S instead of those flyes...

Think caused by a combination of poor pressing technique in bygone days and a tendency to hunch forwards when I swing, when I am tired, in the past - I will have to watch this VERY closely when I am back up in action and ensure my shoulder blades are pinched. I can swing now, but he wants me to rest. TGU is a no-no as my shoulder collapses when going from the elbow to the sit-up, when the arm is raised overhead.

I have heard that there is some shoulder rehabilitation done with kettlebells.

Also, swinging and a few other movements with kettlebells is supposed to be awesome for the posterior chain, which I understand yours is not as strong as your front?

I'm just the noob, but maybe ask/pay your local SFG to talk to your doctor and come up with a plan?

That might be too far outside the box, I dunno...

Just done my 3rd session of S&S, and took me 52 mins.

That's the warm up, two handed kettlebells swings 10x10 24kg, TGU up to kneeling position 16kg (due to injury) 5x1 each side and stretches.

Really took my time as working on form, would like to eventually get this down a bit, once I stop reading the book between sets I'm sure it wil

S&S sessions took me about 40-45 minutes, even when I was ready to test. I really worked to maintain a "practice vs. workout" mindset, going slow and trying to make every rep perfect. Like the Iron Tamer says "I am not interested in how heavy or fast you can do something wrong."

If you can complete the session in 20-25 minutes, that is great. Maybe time to test and get find a bigger bell?

Packman,
I second Lew's comments about seeing if your physio will get on board with a method that works for you. From a care perspective, you could argue for a better patient outcome. :)

You might also grab a copy of Becoming a Supple Leopard or Roll Model for practical info that you will benefit from in the training area as well as the treatment room.

Live well!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom