all posts post new thread

Time to leave the Paleo diet?

Xcal

Level 5 Valued Member
HI all,

I just read this in my favoured newspaper. what do you think? While it captivated my attention, I've never been a proponet of Paleo, preffering IF and mediteranean style food (not diet!). I know that some in this forum are proponents of the Paleo diet.

That's quite a propaganda piece.

This tells you all you need to know:

"Conventional, government-recommended diets offer comparable outcomes at a lower cost."

If the government recommends something (especially food/diet related), you can be sure it's not in your best interest.

The government wants you fat, sick, dumb, and dependent on them. So, yes, they want you to eat GMOs, grains, processed foods, sugar, and other garage that they poison on a daily basis.

To try and say that eating whole, natural foods doesn't live up to the claims is hogwash.

That's quite a propaganda piece.

This tells you all you need to know:

"Conventional, government-recommended diets offer comparable outcomes at a lower cost."

If the government recommends something (especially food/diet related), you can be sure it's not in your best interest.

The government wants you fat, sick, dumb, and dependent on them. So, yes, they want you to eat GMOs, grains, processed foods, sugar, and other garage that they poison on a daily basis.

To try and say that eating whole, natural foods doesn't live up to the claims is hogwash.
I cant agree with this anymore. Government has businesses best interest in mind over individuals. How could giant food corporations make any money of people learned to hunt/forage/grow most/some of their own food? The food industry is a miracle and a monster at the same time. You cant go wrong eating (as close as possible) to real whole unprocessed foods. It doesnt have to have a label of "diet" to eat real food!

@Birddog, please see my earlier reply in this thread - let's leave the governments intentions out of the conversation please.

In the meantime, everyone go home. No drinking; read your manual. (Famously said at many of our certifications at the end of each training day in case you don't get the joke.)

-S-

HI all,

I just read this in my favoured newspaper. what do you think? While it captivated my attention, I've never been a proponet of Paleo, preffering IF and mediteranean style food (not diet!). I know that some in this forum are proponents of the Paleo diet.

He’s an archaeology professor talking about diet. Take that for what you will.

Literally the only thing I take issue with this language:
The Paleo Diet has been a worthwhile experiment, but at this point it seems likely that people following it might just be wasting money. Conventional, government-recommended diets offer comparable outcomes at a lower cost. In our view, it’s time to leave the Paleo Diet in the past.
The entirety of the article up to that point is chock full of studies and explanations, in-depth to a level appropriate for the length of the article. The issues with the above statement lie with the fact that it is the only "blanket statement" made in the whole article. Everything else had nuance of argument. If Paleo works for someone, and they enjoy it, then why should they change?

These are my two cents around diet, having grown up on the standard american diet, and having tried paleo, carnivore, keto, cyclic keto.....finally back to a omnivorous diet and feeling better than I did on carnivore/keto.

Try it. If you get the results you want, great. If not, re-evaluate and try something else.

I took just enough university courses around physiology and nutrition to know that you need to know how studies are performed, and HOW TO READ THEM to really understand the literature. The reason articles and blogs end up kind of vague is because of this. The average person does not know what a confidence interval or P-value is, much less how biochemical processes actually work.

Why have experts at all if one is not willing to trust what they communicate? If my computer totally breaks down, and I try a few things after googling on my phone, I'm going to take my computer to someone who knows how they work. We look to trained and experienced professionals for strength and fitness training here...so why not extend that to people who research diet, physiology, or in the case of the article, human evolution?

Likewise, on the other end of the spectrum, it's all too easy to find studies online, skim them for stuff that looks like it supports what you like, and then post it to a blog proclaiming "this study says [x]." I don't like everything about Layne Norton, for example, but I DO like that he will actually take some time to break down what a study actually said. Anyone who has read a fair amount of scientific literature will know that they basically NEVER assert that something is one way and not another. They almost always say "in this case," "in populations with [x]," "supports the theory of," and the most often seen one, "further studies are needed."

While I take issue with the part I quoted, the news website is just re-posting something from another website, The Conversation. I like that site. The articles are written by experts and researchers in the relevant fields, not just some journalist. Articles written about economy are written by economists, articles about climate are written by climate scientists, just like the authors of that article (about the evidence for a "paleo" diet actualy being paleo) are a research chair in human evolutionary studies and a PhD student in archaeology, not some internet blog author.

My big point is just that a lot of things in the world are messy, there's a lot of (seemingly) conflicting evidence in various subjects/fields, and the answers we want (usually some version of yes/no or right/wrong) don't actually exist.

The only thing I WILL say about the paleo diet is this: Many companies out there have capitalized on it, and sell things like "paleo granola" for nearly $10/bag, and the contents of the bag are literally only enough to fill like one average sized bowl. If you want to eat "paleo" then just eat whole foods, that's it. It's not complicated. There's nothing "paleo" about a $12 muffin mix. If you like muffins, just eat muffins, and jsut don't go nuts on them.

One author is a chair in human evolutionary studies, the other is a PhD student in archaeology. While they don't directly address this, there have been other instances of people in these and similar fields finding that what we call "paleo" is not, in fact, paleo. A whole food, low-to-moderate carb diet might do a lot of people a lot of good, but what it seems like they find is that our ancestors ate a wider variety of foods than that.

What I am saying here is this. The paleo diet is sold as something "ancestral," when it in fact might not be. It may be a healthy diet, but that doesn't make the "evolutionary diet" argument true.

I find archeologists / paleo-anthropologists critique "paleo" diets as not actually being very representative of what paleo people actually ate to be pretty compelling.

It's just a critique that the nomenclature of "paleo" for modern day "paleo diets" isn't very evidence-based according to our data of what paleo people actually ate.

That's not the same thing as saying "paleo" diets aren't good for you; I've yet to hear an archaeologist say eating more whole foods isn't a good thing.

While they don't directly address this, there have been other instances of people in these and similar fields finding that what we call "paleo" is not, in fact, paleo. A whole food, low-to-moderate carb diet might do a lot of people a lot of good, but what it seems like they find is that our ancestors ate a wider variety of foods than that.

What I am saying here is this. The paleo diet is sold as something "ancestral," when it in fact might not be. It may be a healthy diet, but that doesn't make the "evolutionary diet" argument true.

Exactly.

The modern "paleo diet" may be healthy for you.

But it's not actually historically accurate to how paleo people ate.

Nor should we assume that what *is* historically accurate is optimal, anyway; people ate what was available.

I find archeologists / paleo-anthropologists critique "paleo" diets as not actually being very representative of what paleo people actually ate to be pretty compelling.

It's just a critique that the nomenclature of "paleo" for modern day "paleo diets" isn't very evidence-based according to our data of what paleo people actually ate.

That's not the same thing as saying "paleo" diets aren't good for you; I've yet to hear an archaeologist say eating more whole foods isn't a good thing.
To be fair, the critique of processed foods being marketed as Paleo and propping up a multi billion dollar industry with no real provable health benefit is pretty spot on.

Edit: also I need to stop reading threads from the bottom up lol

Last edited:
It's like the "gluten free" ice cream I saw the other day.
The one I was thinking of were some paleo snack packs. Each one was 600 calories. Complete with paleo processed meat, paleo processed cheese, and a big stack of almonds (the only non processed thing in the pack).

The caloric density was obnoxious. Macros were looking real close to a Big Mac.

The one I was thinking of were some paleo snack packs. Each one was 600 calories. Complete with paleo processed meat, paleo processed cheese, and a big stack of almonds (the only non processed thing in the pack).

The caloric density was obnoxious. Macros were looking real close to a Big Mac.

That's about as ancestral as being a sitzpinkler.

There is an "influencer" who noted his three rules or criteria when it came to food choices and I think it is a reasonable approach.

Did it have a face? (ie. minimally processed beef, chicken, pork, eggs, dairy, etc)
Is it a fruit or vegetable?
Can you identify it as a single source food? (ie. rice, beans, nuts, nut butter w/ salt and no other added ingredients, etc)

If it doesn't fit one of those, probably better off eating something that does fit one of those instead.

There is an "influencer" who noted his three rules or criteria when it came to food choices and I think it is a reasonable approach.

Did it have a face? (ie. minimally processed beef, chicken, pork, eggs, dairy, etc)
Is it a fruit or vegetable?
Can you identify it as a single source food? (ie. rice, beans, nuts, nut butter w/ salt and no other added ingredients, etc)

If it doesn't fit one of those, probably better off eating something that does fit one of those instead.

Do clams have faces?

Back
Top Bottom