all posts post new thread

Barbell Timed singles?

Bronius

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,

I'm planning to start a flexible plan based on Al Ciampa's article:
Military Deployment Prep: A Program for Hardening the Soldier | StrongFirst
In the article the author mentions Pavel's timed singles:
"Find Pavel’s Power to the People and do timed singles" and although I have the PTTP and PTTP Professional and even Easy strength which he mentions later (kindle versions) I can not find any specific plan regarding training with timed singles.
Does anyone have an idea what did the author had in his mind writing this?

It's been a while since I've read my copies of PTTP and PTTP Professional, so I don't remember what Pavel has in mind with it, but I do repeat singles, doubles, and triples w. 50-90% of 1rm on 3-5mins. I would raise or lower interval or # of repeats depending on how I'm feeling that day, the intensity (% of 1rm), where I am in the programming, etc.

Hello,

"Find Pavel’s Power to the People and do timed singles" and although I have the PTTP and PTTP Professional and even Easy strength which he mentions later (kindle versions) I can not find any specific plan regarding training with timed singles.
Mm, this plan comes to mind:

Then there is Justa's Singles (outlined in Easy Strength).

And if you read the Deadlift instructions in PTTP, Pavel instructs to do them with full resets between reps, so that might come down to something like a single rep every 15 seconds.

In PttP there is an indication to take the reps as a cluster set.

1674497680472.png

Let go of the bar stand up and start all over. kinda describable as doing singles.

1674498454614.png

in Beyond Bodybuilding, which I believe is self described as a PttP Part 2 or sequel...
here is the Justa Routine composed of Singles, of course.

1674498264117.png

Mm, this plan comes to mind:
That is a great article and maybe it could be something what the author was refering to since he also mentions "time saving" in his article. The odd part is that it is not from PTTP, although could be a great option. Thank you!

Hello,

You are welcome!

Btw, this article is related:

Basically Easy Strength/S&S + Z1/Z2 running.

Reactions: Ege
Hello,

I've done this - it's a way to organize a lifting session. E.g., I've put a particular weight on the bar then done a single DL every :45 or OTM until it felt like I wasn't recovering sufficiently, and then I stopped. I've generally been good estimating how far I'll get with something like this, so typically I'd aim for between 5 and 8 reps.

You can mix and match with other approaches, e.g., put a weight on the bar, do 5 singles OTM and, if that goes well, you can either go on the :45 next time or you can add a 6th single. And if you don't feel recovered enough the first time you try it, then take longer than OTM and gradually reduce the time until you're at your goal set.

-S-

Now I realised the PTTP was mentioned to learn the technique for the lifts and all the high tension skills and not to literally find how to program timed singles. A+ to the author for the twist and thank you everyone that you shared the way how to do it.

Reactions: Ege
training with timed singles.
Cluster Set Training

Training with Rest Periods (15-60 seconds) between each repetition or a certain number of repetition in a Set (1- 5) is Cluster Set Training: "Inter-Repetition Rest: The passive rest time period between each repetition."

Cluster-Training-Infographic.jpg

Doing so allows for greater Force Production (Maximum Strength and/or Power) dependent on the Percentage of the Load.

Power Training Percentages
1) Olympic Movements and Kettlebell Swings

These movement are Power Movements.
a) Olympic Movements

Loads of 70-80% are shown to elicit that greatest amount of Power.
b) Kettlebell Swings

Research data shows the Kettlebell Loads of around one-third to close to body weight develops Power Output.

2) Traditional Exercises

Research has demonstrted that with Traditional Exercise such as Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, etc that Power is most effective developed iwth Load that are 48-62% of a 1 Repetion Max.

ATP Muscle Restoration

Maxium Strength, Power and Speed primarily utilize ATP (The Phosphagen Energy System).

ATP is pretty much depleted in 10 seconds.

Once ATP is depleted, Maximum Strength, Power and Speed drop like a rock.

When that occurs, your technique in the movement deteriorates due to Muscle Fatigue.

It become a hydrid movement; poor technique is developed.

Also, the Muscle Firing Sequence is modified. It become a different exercise.

I've put a particular weight on the bar then done a single DL every :45 or OTM until it felt like I wasn't recovering sufficiently, and then I stopped.

The Solution

As per Steve, once recovery falters, Technique is altered (Poor Technique) occurs. Stop!

Secondly, the Fast Twitch Type IIa and/or the "Super" Fast Twitch Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber (Maximum Strength and Power Fiber) are no longer being trained nor deveped.

Technique Training

Research shows that Cluster Sets with up to 90% of 1 Repetition Max are the most effective for Technique Development.

Due to the heavier loading, the the maximum Cluster Set Rest Period need to be taken.

Once Techinque in the Movement, Stop!

Inter-Repetition Rest
By resting between singles or multiple repetitions in a set, ATP Muscle Restoration occurs.

This ensure each Retition Maximizes Force Production and maintaines Technique.

Rest Periods

1) 30 Seconds Between Cluster Reps

Research show that approximatelty Muscle ATP Restoration is around 50%.

2) 45 Seconds Between Custer Reps

Research show that almost 80% of Muscle ATP Restoration take place.

Back
Top Bottom