all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Timeless vs Timed Simple before moving on?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Wifi

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello everyone!

In general, S&S seems to be a good starting point for those new to lifting. It's what I've been doing and have had awesome results.

My question is, at what point is it recommended to move on to other things, such as ROP or barbell work? Timed or Timeless, that is the question!

If you’re new to lifting, I’d first spend some time milking the KB versions of front squats and cleaning & pressing.

You can interleave these easily with S&S on alternating days.

Once you’ve progressed to the point where KB cleans, presses and front squats are too easy (including 2x KB versions), then moving to barbells becomes something to seriously think about, although not mandatory.

Last edited:
You are on a life long journey.

What do you accomplish by rushing through your training?

Attaining Timeless Simple is an admirable achievement.

Why not spend an extra month or two and achieve Simple?

What is your rush?

Both achievements will give you a SOLID foundation of strength.

However, the sense of achievement you will feel after achieving Simple will help propel you to achieve other goals.

You will have the satisfaction of knowing you had the discipline to stick to a program with challenging goals.

AND you will have achieved an objective measure of physical strength that will improve your life.

If you’re new to lifting, I’d first spend some time milking the KB versions of front squats and cleaning & pressing.

You can interleave these easily with S&S on alternating days.

Once you’ve progressed to the point where KB cleans, presses and front squats are too easy (including 2x KB versions), then moving to barbells becomes something to seriously think about, although not mandatory.
That's pretty much what I plan to do with ROP: C&P, pullups, and pistol squats on variety days.

You are on a life long journey.

What do you accomplish by rushing through your training?

Attaining Timeless Simple is an admirable achievement.

Why not spend an extra month or two and achieve Simple?

What is your rush?

Both achievements will give you a SOLID foundation of strength.

However, the sense of achievement you will feel after achieving Simple will help propel you to achieve other goals.

You will have the satisfaction of knowing you had the discipline to stick to a program with challenging goals.

AND you will have achieved an objective measure of physical strength that will improve your life.
Thank you for that. I'm currently in the process of progressing to Timeless Solid, and letting the timed goal for simple follow naturally. You make a "solid" point about it being a lifelong journey. I'm only 22, so I got years of training ahead.

What I think I'll do is finish timeless Solid, and with it timed simple. Then I'll go do ROP until I make the 1/2xbw press and USSST test. After that, maybe Sinister? Who knows, maybe at that point the IPM will be more fleshed out. @Pavel Macek , any word on that? How would IPM compare to the A+A snatching that @Al Ciampa and @Harald Motz have pioneered?

I started training "again" last year in the summer. I startet with S&S and did it a for about two month and achieved timeless simple. If i am correct the recomendation is to work till you finished timed simple before moving on. And today i thing i would add a few more week for that goal. Last year i wantet to try different things and different exercises so i was in a rush to switch programs. But while i was training over the year i listen a lot of Podcasts (Pat Flynn and Dan John for the most part) and read some books. And now i thing that finishing a programm even if you don`t think it`s perfect is more valuable than switching to early. Dan John said this in a recent podcast aswell.
So i would say just to add a few weeks and enjoy you achievments a lot more later.

Can you tell us more about your goals?? That way we can help you map out a plan best suited for you

Can you tell us more about your goals?? That way we can help you map out a plan best suited for you
I want to be enduring enough to do well at exploring the outdoors day after day when I get the chance (primarily backpacking and running, swimming to a lesser extent), and martial arts (striking and grappling). I do believe that before endurance, one must be strong first. So my general resistance training plan (tentative) is to go Simple, then ROP goals, then Sinister, then alternate cycles of A+A/IPM with Beast Tamer training cycles. All that should be enough to keep me busy for awhile, plus a boatload of LISS style aerobic training cleverly disguised as commuting to/from work. What do you think?

Given your goals (outdoors, martial arts), I'd say S&S until Simple (or beyond), then alternating cycles of A+A and Q&D 3 x per week, with Easy LISS also 3 x per week.

I want to be enduring enough to do well at exploring the outdoors day after day when I get the chance (primarily backpacking and running, swimming to a lesser extent), and martial arts (striking and grappling). I do believe that before endurance, one must be strong first. So my general resistance training plan (tentative) is to go Simple, then ROP goals, then Sinister, then alternate cycles of A+A/IPM with Beast Tamer training cycles. All that should be enough to keep me busy for awhile, plus a boatload of LISS style aerobic training cleverly disguised as commuting to/from work. What do you think?

You don't need barbell work for any of that stuff. ;)

That's pretty much what I plan to do with ROP: C&P, pullups, and pistol squats on variety days.

Thank you for that. I'm currently in the process of progressing to Timeless Solid, and letting the timed goal for simple follow naturally. You make a "solid" point about it being a lifelong journey. I'm only 22, so I got years of training ahead.

What I think I'll do is finish timeless Solid, and with it timed simple. Then I'll go do ROP until I make the 1/2xbw press and USSST test. After that, maybe Sinister? Who knows, maybe at that point the IPM will be more fleshed out. @Pavel Macek , any word on that? How would IPM compare to the A+A snatching that @Al Ciampa and @Harald Motz have pioneered?
Right now, I am working hard and finishing the Hard Style Dumbbell Level I Manual - after that, I am back to IPM. Lots of notes, I just need to compile them.

That sounds like a plan. Before you jump ahead of yourself, where are you at now?

That sounds like a plan. Before you jump ahead of yourself, where are you at now?
I have Timeless Simple in the bag, and am currently swinging and getting up 4x/week with the 40kg for 2/5 sets per S&S 2.0. Every other week on Friday I use the 24kg and meet the timed standard.

Right now, I am working hard and finishing the Hard Style Dumbbell Level I Manual - after that, I am back to IPM. Lots of notes, I just need to compile them.
Awesome. Thanks for all your work! Your log in particular is both a goldmine of insight, and an inspiration to pick the course, and stay the course!

Awesome. Thanks for all your work! Your log in particular is both a goldmine of insight, and an inspiration to pick the course, and stay the course!
Thank you for your kind words!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom