all posts post new thread

Barbell Tips for getting started after quarantine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ashilnayak2

First Post
Looking for some tips and ideas for what i can do before having access to a gym to start the program. In my home town in Australia we are probably 2-3 months away from having Gyms open again.
Background on me: I had bariactric surgery 8 months ago and have lost 40Kgs (90Lbs) From my surgery weight of 140Kg. I have tried Starting Strength a few times when i was bigger but it never really worked well for me as the motiviation wasnt there and so results were not great. Now that i have lost all this weight i was hitting the gym 5-6 time a week and have progressed to being able to run 10Km straight.
I have access to the following items at home, Kettlebells (8,16kg), battle rope, 20Kg pump weight set, dumbells (up to 12Kg), weighted rope, 5kg medicine ball, 15Kg weighted bag, skipping rope. Unfortunatly it is near on impossible to get any olym[pics bars or weight plates here at the omoment as everything is sold out.
So if you could prepare to start Starting Strength knowing what you know now, is there anything particular you would work on, flexibility? core? i'll take any ideas :)

Congratulations on your progress! I think you could follow the plan below and it would help keep you moving, preserve lean body mass, and move your strength in the right direction. All that will help you be in better shape to get back into a barbell strength program when you are able to.

The other things I might try to work in somewhere are get-ups (unweighted is fine, but great for mobility and movement, also are a good conditioning exercise for heavier people), some sort of deadlift or kettlebell swing, and continuing your jogging. Whether to try to work in these things in addition to the strength program depends on a few things: 1) your time availability, 2) your energy availability for training and for recovery, and 3) how challenging the strength program is for your selections and available weights. For example, if the weights you select are relatively light for you and the strength work is not very challenging, you'll be able to do more other things in addition to it. If you are able to make it quite challenging (like, anywhere near as challenging as the Starting Strength program was when you were doing it), then you want to minimize other activity so that you are dedicating your recovery resources to increasing your strength by way of the stimulus provided.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Carries, drags, pushes, whatever you have available. Something that's heavy enough to challenge you in a short time, like 10-30 seconds.

Looking for some tips and ideas for what i can do before having access to a gym to start the program. In my home town in Australia we are probably 2-3 months away from having Gyms open again.
Background on me: I had bariactric surgery 8 months ago and have lost 40Kgs (90Lbs) From my surgery weight of 140Kg. I have tried Starting Strength a few times when i was bigger but it never really worked well for me as the motiviation wasnt there and so results were not great. Now that i have lost all this weight i washttps://discord.software/ https://omegle.onl/ vsharehitting the gym 5-6 time a week and have progressed to being able to run 10Km straight.
I have access to the following items at home, Kettlebells (8,16kg), battle rope, 20Kg pump weight set, dumbells (up to 12Kg), weighted rope, 5kg medicine ball, 15Kg weighted bag, skipping rope. Unfortunatly it is near on impossible to get any olym[pics bars or weight plates here at the omoment as everything is sold out.
So if you could prepare to start Starting Strength knowing what you know now, is there anything particular you would work on, flexibility? core? i'll take any ideas :)
issue got solved!!

I think the most important step in getting back to your previous fitness level is being okay with not being at your previous fitness level. There is no room for negative self-talk because your deadlift isn’t Instagram-worthy right now, or running a mile is now incredibly challenging when it was once a warm-up. Think short-term adjustment at the beginning as you get your legs back underneath you. Find the little victories and be proud of them as you continue to ramp back up to previous intensities.

Permission to use the first half of this post

Gonna piggyback on what @Anna C posted..

I used that routine with a single 24kg initially and still got great results.

You also can make new goals based on where you are and then move from there..

I believe that one could have lots of things to gain if they're willing to practicing the movement.
Take time to relearn the squat and the hinge. Then load it, but still keep the mindset of practicing with weight, not doing x reps with y kg for z sets...
I like Antti's idea of doing sled push/pull. It's easy to do and still, you can get a great workout. Do it after the practice of squat and hip hinge.

For midsection, if you care about heavy squat and heavy deadlift, you should consider hardstyle plank, bird dog, deadbug, hollow body rock...It teachs you how to keep your abs tight when doing squat and deadlift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom