all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tips for increasing snatch weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
We practice snatch ladders to increase our snatch weight. I start heavy, 24kg aiming for the first set of 2,4,6,8, after that I will drop to the 20kg 2,4,6,8 and the last round a 16kg with the same reps. This is a snatch ladder of 2,4,6,8x3. My students used this in prep for the TSC.

Good... so the goal is 100 or more with a given weight in 5 min, without setting the bell down if possible. And I may be reading into this, but sounds like the 5-min test isn't your true end objective - the real objective is to "own" a new weight, and a successful 5-min test is your measure of when you do.... Agree?

on

Yes correct. I'm looking to own a 4kg heavier bell and the 5:00 snatch test is my metric for judging progress.

Good tips on the farmers carries, and a reminder to work on movement efficiency and breathing is always helpful!

We practice snatch ladders to increase our snatch weight. I start heavy, 24kg aiming for the first set of 2,4,6,8, after that I will drop to the 20kg 2,4,6,8 and the last round a 16kg with the same reps. This is a snatch ladder of 2,4,6,8x3. My students used this in prep for the TSC.

Good suggestion. I've liked ladders with other moves. Couple of questions on how you've implemented these:

1) where are you placing rest periods?, or is it a march through all 3 bells?

2) for how long are you resting? (by feel, or structured rest?)

3) at what frequency have you had best results with these?

Thanks

Completely unscientific, "grip it 'n rip it" here. A nod toward the heavy swing school. I am 53 yrs old, 5' 11", ~205 lbs.

Upon returning from deployment in late August I have been getting at least 110 (sets of 10) two hand swings with the 56Kg bell averaging 5 days a week. Three weeks ago I was watching Anna C, my training partner, going through her heavy snatches with her usual perfect form and incredible strength. I decided to snatch the 32 a couple of times even though in the past ~18 months I had snatched nothing heavier than a 28 for a few reps. The 32 went up much easier than I thought and I knocked out 5 sets of 10 (5/5) with no problem. In the ensuing time I have progressed to 5 sets of 7/7 with no problem and not "forcing" any snatches, snatching the 32 three days a week. The key is definitely the heavy swing. Case in point, two handed 32Kg swings are light for the first time since I started using kettlebells in 2003.

@WxHerk This has been my experience also. Heavy two handed, and one handed swings helped me snatch 70lbs for sets of ten. I have been adding in 80lb(36kg) snatches.

I had read of a old time strongman who would line up bells in descending weight and work his way down the line. First snatching, his way down the line. Then C&P/PP/J depending on the weight, one hand swing, and finally two hand swing. I have trained it from time to time working my way through with minimal rest, and it is a gruelling, but awesome workout.

I have used it as a finisher with heavy two hand swings. Doing 2-3 sets, stopping each step as power drops off.

Last edited:
@GeoffreyLevens, I recommend you try some sets of 10 cleans with your 20 kg - make sure you stop right before your form would deteriorate away from good, but owning 10 reps with one weight will make your singles at almost any kettlebell ballistic better at the next highest weight.

And to keep things in perspective, we want you to clean 24 and then heavier - when you figure out what you're supposed to do and practice it, 32 kg and higher cleans will be possible for you.

-S-
Thank you for throwing down the guantlet ;) Posted elsewhere I think that couple days ago did 10X10 with 16 kg no problem. Today was another "heavy" day so gave the 20 kg a go and 10X10! Only real issue was that my grip is just not yet strong enough to do adequate hook grip catch with that much weight. At 16 kg no problem at all, almost easy but at 20 kg big risk of dropping the bell and a whole lot of palm pinching going on. So I just palmed it which I am pretty good at; no obvious wear and tear and got all 50 reps on each side with only very mild and occasional shoulder/chest slam.

Nice going, @GeoffreyLevens, and thank you for the report.

See if you can find a way to work the 20 kg regularly, e.g., if you feel like you can get fewer reps per set, do that but still do 10 sets, or perhaps fewer sets with 20 kg then switch to 16 - something along those lines.

-S-

@SteveFriedes not clear why I would do that since I can do 10X10 without undo stress/strain. Doubt I could have done another 10 rep set but 8 for sure would have been doable. Why not just work with that until grip is good then start working in some reps w/ 24kg?

All up to you - since you mentioned the grip not being the hook grip you wanted for all your reps, I thought you might want to only do as many as you could with the grip the way you want it - then work on increasing that number.

-S-

Good suggestion. I've liked ladders with other moves. Couple of questions on how you've implemented these:

Thanks
The longest rest is between the

Thanks
We rest the longest between 6-8 and the rest is by feel.
We would train this once a week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom