all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tips for jumping from 24 kg to 36 kg TGU?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dnguyen411

Level 5 Valued Member
I would like to start moving up from 24 kg to 36 kg on my TGU (my gym doesn't have a 32 kg bell for some odd reason). I've been doing S&S starting at 12 kg and progressed to 24 kg in a few months with 4 kg jumps in between. Since I don't have access to any KBs between 24 kg and 36 kg , I'm understandably nervous with such a big jump in weight.

Any tips on how to proceed other than just going for it?

It's not strictly S&S but your gym likely has 60# or 70# Dumbbells that could help you to bridge the gap in the meantime. Where are your swings at?

I read somewhere you could use a few 1kg barbell plates and some duct-tape. With TGU's it might be OK but swings would make me a little nervous. Your gym might have something to say about it as well.

Why not try adding some parts of the getup with the 36kg while doing the the program with the 24kg? Example: do the 100 swings + 10 getups with the 24kg, then do 4 getups to the elbow(2 with each hand). When comfortable go to the palm.until your ready for the next part.

Do a get-down instead - jerk the bell overhead, work your way through the getup back to the floor.

-S-

I used half getups to my elbow to move towards a larger kettlebell. Use a spotter no matter you try.

I believe that transitioning from a 24kg to the 36kg will take quite awhile. I also used 4kg jumps for the TGU, from 16kg through 36kg, and the jump to 36 from 32 felt huge. YMMV, but I wouldn't feel satisfied with incremental improvements like get downs followed by rolling to elbow, gradually increasing the number of sets, and so on.

My two cents.

J

It's not strictly S&S but your gym likely has 60# or 70# Dumbbells that could help you to bridge the gap in the meantime. Where are your swings at?

The dumbbells is a good idea.

My swings are currently 24 kg (2 hands) within the 5 min test. I'm still working on getting my 1 hand swings there (I start to lose my grip in my left hand during the 3rd set). I've thrown a set of swings at 36 kg but it really spiked my heart rate.

I read somewhere you could use a few 1kg barbell plates and some duct-tape. With TGU's it might be OK but swings would make me a little nervous. Your gym might have something to say about it as well.

I think my gym wouldn't like me bringing a roll of duct-tape to tape some 2.5 lb weights to the bottom.

Have you considered offering to buy a 32kg for your gym? Or, seeing if they will share the expense?

No I haven't... I'm not in a position to buy a 32 kg KB at this time. Also, I belong to one of those big-box gyms.

Why not try adding some parts of the getup with the 36kg while doing the the program with the 24kg? Example: do the 100 swings + 10 getups with the 24kg, then do 4 getups to the elbow(2 with each hand). When comfortable go to the palm.until your ready for the next part.

I used half getups to my elbow to move towards a larger kettlebell. Use a spotter no matter you try.

I'll give that a go.

Do a get-down instead - jerk the bell overhead, work your way through the getup back to the floor.
-S-

Hmm... I'm not sure if I'm at that point yet but I'll give it a go when I get there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom