all posts post new thread

Barbell Tips for SFL Barbell Candidates [Video Series]

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thank you gentlemen. I am just following the example of my teachers, and spreading the teaching of StrongFirst.

Thank you for these tips, @Pavel Macek ! I wish I could be in Prague in September. But, I am signed up for SFL in Charleston, SC in October. So these definitely help!

Thank you @Anna C . 2 more videos with some tips on the way (back squat and military press). You will love SFL - #SFLrocks!

Thank you again - great video. That queue to tuck the elbows is rarely mentioned outside SF but it really links in nicely with the tight position of the KB clean.

Just a question - why do you suggest unracking in the weightlifting rack position then adjusting?

@krg actually the barbell MP rack is quite
different from a kettlebell MP rack -
please watch the video again.

WL rack - more practice for your barbell front squats!

Sorry @Pavel Macek - I didn't mean to imply it was the same. I just meant that getting the elbow tighter to the torso reminds me of the tightness of a good kettlebell clean. I was just thinking out loud.

I feel like sliding the bar down that far is going to put the bar too far out in front of you and the "window" in which you punch your head through is going to get longer. This seems fine at light weights but when the weights start to get heavy I feel like the lockout is going to be more difficult due to the fight early on to get the bar back into a straight line relative to mid foot. When I had to rebuild my Oh Press I realized I needed to have the bar better connected to my body from the start and was able to add 10 pounds (from 215 to 225) to my Strict Oh Press in about 2 months.

I hope I'm not over-stepping my boundaries here @Pavel Macek and I'm just speaking from experience. The corkscrew tip is one a lot of people definitely overlook when it comes to the standing military press.

I feel like sliding the bar down that far is going to put the bar too far out in front of you and the "window" in which you punch your head through is going to get longer. This seems fine at light weights but when the weights start to get heavy I feel like the lockout is going to be more difficult due to the fight early on to get the bar back into a straight line relative to mid foot. When I had to rebuild my Oh Press I realized I needed to have the bar better connected to my body from the start and was able to add 10 pounds (from 215 to 225) to my Strict Oh Press in about 2 months.

I hope I'm not over-stepping my boundaries here @Pavel Macek and I'm just speaking from experience. The corkscrew tip is one a lot of people definitely overlook when it comes to the standing military press.

I don't understand why I'd want to have a lifter take the bar out of the rack with the intention of pressing it while using a grip and rack position he can't press from. She's able to eventually obtain a reasonable (albeit way too wide) press grip, but this will become increasingly challenging with some weight on the bar.

Gentlemen, rack and grip width that suits her best that she has chosen from variety of options we teach at SFL - she was pressing relatively heavy with barbell, and presses heavy with kettlebell - currently 5 ladders of 1, 2, 3 with the SFG2 strength test weight. Your rack and width might be different - all good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom