all posts post new thread

Barbell To squat barefoot, or to not squat barefoot, that is the question.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Years ago I read a book titled Healing is Voltage. Basic premise, the earth gets struck by lightening 8 million times a day, average strike of 15 million volts. Supposedly, barefoot contact with dirt,grass, untreated concrete ( wet surface is better ) increases a persons millivolts, which is supposed to be good for you? Easy and free so most of my training is barefoot out in the dirt. Heavy squats indoors? Been awhile, but would probably have some Chucks or Vans on.

What is the prevailing attitude in the StrongFirst community regarding footwear or the lack thereof when it comes to performing squats? What are the pros, cons, risks and benefits of doing it one way over another?

I have been squatting barefoot, and would especially like to hear from others who squat barefoot as well.

In Beyond Bodybuilding, Pavel writes about the Extensor Reflex Training. In short, being barefoot helps your squat. He does not advise to do barefoot squats themselves, but at least walkouts with a pause, with a bit larger weight.

45 years old, reasonably heavy squats and deadlift. I notice no difference in barefoot vs. Chucks. I do notice that a set of squat shoes with a heel improves my squat SLIGHTLY. But never any discomfort barefoot and it's my preference at home to lift barefoot. At a gym, generally chuck taylors for everything but squats. I don't think it matters one bit and it should be your preference.

For me, it's contextual.

Because I compete in weightlifting, and weightlifting mandates shoes, I wear lifting shoes when I do barbell squats.

For kettlebells or bodyweight, I do it barefoot.

This.

I squat in either weightlifting shoes if I am doing high bar, front squats, close stance squats etc.

I wear flat trainers when doing low bar squats, wide stance squats, box squats and all deadlift variations.

Don't really do any strength training bare footed.

Barbell squats (back, front & zercher) always in weightlifting shoes, because I can get better ROM through the elevated heel and overall it feels just better.
Otherwise everything else barefoot/in barefootshoes like Vivos or Vibrams.
I'm a proponent of barefoot/barefoot shoes for overall health, butI don't care that weightlifting shoes don't let me spread my toes etc. as I'm only wearing them for the BB squats, which amount to a total of just 15-45min per week.

IMHO it depends on your foot shape - I have a very prominent arch on my foot and I'm dead set on squatting 405 one day - so I always use shoes. They also shift load away from the back onto the quads which is a plus. Also you can always do other supplementary exercises to strengthen the ankles. Thats what I do. works just fine IMHO

What is the prevailing attitude in the StrongFirst community regarding footwear or the lack thereof when it comes to performing squats? What are the pros, cons, risks and benefits of doing it one way over another?

I have been squatting barefoot, and would especially like to hear from others who squat barefoot as well.
I have tried squatting barefoot usually on holiday when I hit the gym but don't carry my squat shoes. I find it uncomfortable and find it difficult to get out of the 'hole'barefoot. With my Adidas Powerlift shoes, I feel like I have more power leaving that 'hole'

I see a lot of people squatting in socks - I don't get it. Anything that isn't grippy and can shift on your foot, I'm not a fan. Barefoot is fine if you prefer it, but your foot can sweat and bare feet can slip.

There's minimalist footwear I like and wear sometimes when squatting. I also wear OL shoes and PL shoes. I'm getting older and there are times a change in footwear makes my joints happier.

I do NOT wear running shoes and the like - a cushy sole is (in my experience, your mileage may vary) just asking for trouble.

Years ago I read a book titled Healing is Voltage. Basic premise, the earth gets struck by lightening 8 million times a day, average strike of 15 million volts. Supposedly, barefoot contact with dirt,grass, untreated concrete ( wet surface is better ) increases a persons millivolts, which is supposed to be good for you? Easy and free so most of my training is barefoot out in the dirt. Heavy squats indoors? Been awhile, but would probably have some Chucks or Vans on.

This sounds like grounding to me. I don't remember anything about lightning being involved, but the basic idea is that it's good for you to have direct contact with the earth because you ground yourself similar to the way some electrical equipment can be grounded. It helps with healing and improving your health.

Also, people use to wear leather shoes, which when sweaty would not interfere with their ability to ground with the earth. However, today's shoes with the rubber soles do prevent people from grounding with the earth. Just another way that our modern style of living gets in the way of our health.

This sounds like grounding to me. I don't remember anything about lightning being involved, but the basic idea is that it's good for you to have direct contact with the earth because you ground yourself similar to the way some electrical equipment can be grounded. It helps with healing and improving your health.

Also, people use to wear leather shoes, which when sweaty would not interfere with their ability to ground with the earth. However, today's shoes with the rubber soles do prevent people from grounding with the earth. Just another way that our modern style of living gets in the way of our health.
@Toomuch4 , Correct, a good portion of the book was about grounding.

I could be a bit off topic , but not too far. Was watching some vids of the Apollo moon program. Big crowds gathered for the launches. Grand parents, little kids, big range of ages present. Nine out of ten looked trim and fit. They were antifragile. Nice to see.

walkouts with a pause, with a bit larger weight.
Travis Mash's "Mash Method" involves a lot of potentiation training. He claims it was what enabled him to set records. He says about 10% overload is appropriate.

I don't think it has anything to do with being barefoot or not.

I'm going to lick some batteries next time I use my BFR cuffs.
Based on your experience and training history, in order to get proper effect you must be standing barefoot in salt water while clenching a pure silver tongue depressor in mouth, this is hooked to a fully charged Tesla battery system while engaged in ludicrous mode .

Last edited:
Based on your experience and training history, in order to get proper effect you must be standing barefoot in salt while while clenching a pure silver tongue depressor in mouth, this is hooked to a fully charged Tesla battery system while engaged in ludicrous mode .

Well, the circuit box in the shed is already rigged for arc welding.

That might do.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom