all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Todd Kuslikis and his unconventional methods

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
He is the author of A Shot of Adrenaline and seems to emphasize high levels of conditioning in his routines with AMRAP sets and no rest time between sets.

He has a training plan here which he calls the ultimate system based on the Karate Kenpo style conditioning.

What are your thoughts on his unconventional training methods?

This depends on your goals. I'm not saying that this style of training isn't good, but it's very particular.

From the article:
1)
. . .but the goal is to take as little rest between sets as possible. Why is this important? Because you are conditioning. The workouts mimic a fight. In a fight, you don’t get to take rests.
If your goal is a high level of conditioning and mental toughness, then it's great. If your goal is max strength and/or hypertrophy, or even strength endurance (which I touch on at the bottom of the post) there are probably more effective/efficient programs. This style of training is more to make fighters feel god awful so that they HAVE to use mental toughness, develope an ability to focus under extreme conditions, and rely on technique while exhausted. In traditional martial arts (which I did a lot of when I was younger) this is to get you into a mindset that makes you ask yourself "if my life was on the line right now, would I stil be able to survive even though I'm utterly exhausted and my whole body is in pain?"

Quick edit: When was reaching a higher level in my system, my teacher would EXHAUST us with very strenuous strength/endurance drills, and then linethe rest of the class up to spar with us or do self defense drills. Our "break" was the time it took for the next person to step up.

2)
Will you be able to increase your reps every workout for every exercise? No. But it’s important to strive to achieve it.
In the "How to do the workouts" section:
  1. Do as many reps as you possibly can with good form.

If this style of training is used, it's important to keep GOOD FORM in mind. I have seen both videos of people doing 100s of hindu pushups with very little ROM and crazy body mechanics, as well as videos of people doing very high rep handstand pushups (freestanding even) where the ROM looks like maybe 6 inches at best. It seems like when high reps are chased with this kind of fervor, it's easy for people to cut the ROM to accomplish this. Just something to keep in mind.

Another thing to consider is the effect that this kind of training will have metabolically. This is essentially a HIIT type of training but even more intensified because there is no second "I," there is no "interval." It will take its toll, especially the longer you do it, especially if you don't rest and recover well enough. Deloads would be a must, which the author smartly wrote in bold. The 3x a week is probably a good frequency.

Lastly, if a high level of strength endurance is what you're after (which this style of training sort of seems to be after) then a SF "strong endurance" protocol or Q&D style protocol will be much nicer on your system, and will likely allow you to train other things concurrently.

Once again, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bashing the article. Super high intensity training does deliver, but in specific ways. I just think it's important to use the tools (routines) that fit your goals and temperment.

What are your thoughts on his unconventional training methods?
It's not new, many people have done it before; maybe with different exercises.

My 2 cent:
- " “Dang! You look like a Navy Seal!” That bodyweight training delivered results" right, 90 days and look like Navy Seal.
- The program could work, but then what? There is no another step after the program, our any guidance.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom