all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tom Furman -- Seasons of Temper

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Tom Furman. Listened to the episode all the way through today. Great stuff. Didn't feel like 2 hours, was over in a moment. Lots of topics covered. Interested to hear your views on swings and GU compared to Dan John methods. Seasons of Temper will be purchased as I'm approaching mid 40's but unfortunately have a few more miles on the clock than most. Be interesting read that's for sure after listening to the podcast.

Last edited:
Just read this in the book:

„Anti-glycolytic” is the new buzz word in the kettlebell training world…but is not even a real
word used in exercise science.. at best it would refer to training below/up to the Lactate threshold and
then it’s just low/moderate intensity aerobic training..(or alternatively only using the ATP-CrP system
which would make it maximal speed training). But tell me again how staying away from something (ie.

aerobic and anaerobic glycolysis) is gonna make you better at it?

I hate it when people in the strength and conditioning industry make things more confusing
than it needs to be. Just tell the truth instead of wrapping it in 40 year old pseudo-Science from Rus-

sia…”

@Tom Furman : Did you dive into the theory from Pavel, join one of the Strong Endurance events? Do you think this ATG-training approach does not work? I don‘t want to criticize your book (in fact, I love it), I would just love to hear more about this topic from you.

I think Pavel clearly stated on Joe Rogan's show the difference. Realize among fitness people, everyone stays in their wheelhouse. Back in 2001 Pavel would post on DD about, "one long run and one shorter faster run", relative to athletes and special responders having running requirements. On the JRE, Pavel mentioned aerobics healthfully stretching the heart as he broke down the methodology. The above is from Kenneth Jay. (the quote). Ken has an excellent book out and he can elaborate on the theory. Your use of any method has to look at the science and evidence, not anecdote. Hopefully you should record your outcomes and adjust training to reach your goals. I have Pavel's Quick & Dead, ordered immediately. I did a review in fact with several thousand reads. I like Ken Jay's material and Alex Viada too. Solid science and application.

As per Dan John's methods. I like Dan's logic. I will point out again that most writers and coaches stay in their wheelhouse. Dan is a performance based athlete and teacher. He actually recommends KinoBody for aesthetic work in his videos. I am largely about men maintaining health span to match life span. I like training martial artists too, since they may have special needs to resist injury.

There is none. I can give you the history. Vince Gironda would say that many workouts, Brad would come in and do barbell high pulls as part of the routine. That his back was insane for a non competitive bodybuilder.
Then Brad himself in some long lost article mentioned doing movies in remote locations. He'd keep a barbell, push up handles, dumbbells, etc in his room. He'd run laps or stairs too. He'd donate the barbell to a local rec center and give a workshop before leaving.
An old magazine described the exercise and had Brad on the rooftop of World Gym in Venice, CA. He was standing on a bench doing the "Harris Row", using a cable. I remember the description from memory. Brad mentioned the 'row' was cardiovascularly demanding.

Here is his workout. He ran the same steps Robby Robinson and Rickson Gracie ran, btw.

I’ve been a fan of Tom Furman since getting“ Armor of War“when it first came out. Bought “Seasons of Temper“ when it first came out and have been running the garage workout. I have to say that after listening to the pod cast I’m an even greater fan now and wish I had discovered him many more years ago. I will need to listen to the interview again and take notes. What a great example of fitness and health wisdom without any hype or bullshit. If you read this Tom, you are only 7 months my senior but a great inspiration, so many thanks.

Thanks one and all. Lots of mentors in martial arts, kettlebells (Pavel, Tom Corrigan), and guys who I can bounce ideas off of like Jack Reape and a very private Montana Yak farmer who is a Hsing I, BJJ, Systema, Defence Lab, practitioner. Also guys like Lyle McDonald in nutrition and my local friend Will Brink.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom