all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Tom Furman

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Little tester today with 7.5kg in a backpack to the shops n back with a HR monitor.

Didn't go over 100BPM.

I feel I need to be hitting about 130 + BPM for some kind of training effect but I don't really want to go over 15kg with a backpack as I have done heavy pack hikes in the past & don't line loading up to that weight.

Maybe the marching won't quite be enough...?

IDK
I have this problem as well, so yesterday I added 5lb ankle weights to a 30 lb back back and was able to get my HR up to about 132. I hate running so I wanted to ruck, and this is the first time I could get my HR over 110.

I have this problem as well, so yesterday I added 5lb ankle weights to a 30 lb back back and was able to get my HR up to about 132. I hate running so I wanted to ruck, and this is the first time I could get my HR over 110.
I can't run even if I wanted to due to a missing ACL which is why I thought pack marching may be the answer.

Weirdly I to have thought about ankle weights & have looked into heavy hands before.

That's a nice jump in HR I may have to look at buying some.

Little tester today with 7.5kg in a backpack to the shops n back with a HR monitor.

Didn't go over 100BPM.

I feel I need to be hitting about 130 + BPM for some kind of training effect but I don't really want to go over 15kg with a backpack as I have done heavy pack hikes in the past & don't line loading up to that weight.

Maybe the marching won't quite be enough...?

IDK
I adressed this issue in the following thread and got some interesting answers:

I still like the program alot. But Damn Im not a fan of the High rep kb swing. He recommend around 30rep.

I bought AOW.

Haven't run it as I have planned out my programmes for the next few years.

However I added it to my list & thought it sounded solid.

I think it would make a nice change from all my KB stuff at some point.

One thing I may implement sooner is the loaded hiking.
Update to this thread.

I ended up doing AOW as I unexpectedly moved in with my partner & all my weights are in storage..

Only on week two.

Workouts with hinge & abs added take about 40-45 mins.

With warm ups/cool down takes about 60 mins. Little long for my tastes but doable.

I have chosen 3 times a week so two exercises/workout.

Doing jumpstretch good mornings instead of swings for 20-30 rep sets (really liking these)
Abs I am doing full contact twists with a jumpstretch band for high reps 20-30. This is my own addition & isn't from the book.

I think this programme is leaning me out a bit & feel less muscular.

Still testing exercises as I keep getting the 50 rep total so need harder variants so that is still getting dialed in.

Too early to tell or give results but it's solid.
Curious as to where it will take me.

Not gonna lie, I misread AoW to be working up to five sets of ten and have been doing it that way for a month with fantastic results. Each workout is 20 minutes long and don’t take a lot out of me. Would recommend.
I was reffering to the swing portion of AoW. Still, progress is progress, so good job anyway! (y)

Just another update regarding AOW.
This programme is leaning me out.
I think mainly fat but could be fat & muscle i can't tell.
If I am losing muscle it's most probably mainly from my lower body.

I have started to dial in the exercises & found the correct intensity.
I have already adapted some exercises for example using banded tug of war rows instead of pull ups.
Also I am not going down the one arm pushup route as I have enough bands to keep normal pushups interesting.

Struggling with motivation for the programme as I find it more time consuming than my previous programme "the giant" so have already fallen off the wagon once or twice hitting two workouts a week instead of three.

I am in week 5 of doing the programme currently.

Really enjoy banded good mornings. I like this exercise more than I expected.

One note to comments above regarding 10 sets of 5 I am fairly confident Tom Furman is dogmatic about keeping this & I have seen him suggest 16 sets of 3. Basically low reps high sets is one of his rules for this programme.

If you are hitting 2X per week, that's fine as long as there are rucking and swing days. The efforts and high sets can be time consuming.

Just another update regarding AOW.
This programme is leaning me out.
I think mainly fat but could be fat & muscle i can't tell.
If I am losing muscle it's most probably mainly from my lower body.

I have started to dial in the exercises & found the correct intensity.
I have already adapted some exercises for example using banded tug of war rows instead of pull ups.
Also I am not going down the one arm pushup route as I have enough bands to keep normal pushups interesting.

Struggling with motivation for the programme as I find it more time consuming than my previous programme "the giant" so have already fallen off the wagon once or twice hitting two workouts a week instead of three.

I am in week 5 of doing the programme currently.

Really enjoy banded good mornings. I like this exercise more than I expected.

One note to comments above regarding 10 sets of 5 I am fairly confident Tom Furman is dogmatic about keeping this & I have seen him suggest 16 sets of 3. Basically low reps high sets is one of his rules for this programme.
Using AoW´s principles to fit you. Sounds great! Keep it up!

As for the reps and sets... (and please, @Tom Furman correct me if Im wrong)

you should try and hit ~25 reps at first (5x5) and slowly over time add sets until ~50 reps (10 sets of 5 reps) and by then progress to the next excercise or simply add weight. But when you progress to the next excercise it might be to hard for you. The book suggests adding weight to the current progression (bw pull-ups -> weighted pull-ups) and start over at 5x5 again OR you could lower the reps and up the sets 8 sets of 3 reps (still ~25 reps .. yes, 24 but good enough) and slowly adding sets until 16 sets of 3 (~50 reps .. yes, 48 but good enough.

Thats the fundamental principle of AoW.

When it comes to the posterior chain Tom suggests doing deadlifts but when thats not an an option do kb swings or banded good morning for what ever reps. Its not important unless you do a swing program fitting AoW in to that, but thats a different story.

If you are hitting 2X per week, that's fine as long as there are rucking and swing days. The efforts and high sets can be time consuming.
Thanks for the response Tom appreciate it.

Just to clarify my aim is to do AOW 3 times a week but in 4 weeks worth of AOW I have hit 2 times a week twice due to a mix of laziness/fatigue & life getting in the way. I do posterior chain & ab work at the end of my workouts rather than on off days.

I also haven't added rucking as in the AOW book it seemed like an optional extra.
However I also own "Train for Life" aswell as AOW FAQ & have noticed some differences in how the programme is put forward in each book which I was hoping you could clarify please @Tom Furman
For example in TFL it says additional cardio is necessary which seemed a little different from AOW which made it seem optional.
It also says "NOT to circuit train the drills" while in AOW FAQ it says you can "alternate push/pull moves" as well as upper & lower body which is what I have been doing from the start although I still use the 60-90 second rest window.

I don't ruck mainly as I get a fair amount of walking & stairs in via my job for example I hit 136 miles in the last month. However this isn't purposeful cardio or with a significant load (probably an extra 1-4 KG with my standard work gear).

Using AoW´s principles to fit you. Sounds great! Keep it up!

As for the reps and sets... (and please, @Tom Furman correct me if Im wrong)

you should try and hit ~25 reps at first (5x5) and slowly over time add sets until ~50 reps (10 sets of 5 reps) and by then progress to the next excercise or simply add weight. But when you progress to the next excercise it might be to hard for you. The book suggests adding weight to the current progression (bw pull-ups -> weighted pull-ups) and start over at 5x5 again OR you could lower the reps and up the sets 8 sets of 3 reps (still ~25 reps .. yes, 24 but good enough) and slowly adding sets until 16 sets of 3 (~50 reps .. yes, 48 but good enough.

Thats the fundamental principle of AoW.

When it comes to the posterior chain Tom suggests doing deadlifts but when thats not an an option do kb swings or banded good morning for what ever reps. Its not important unless you do a swing program fitting AoW in to that, but thats a different story.
The way I have been doing the sets & reps is starting with sets of 5 & just seeing whether I can get the 10 sets of 5 or not.
This was good in the beginning of the programme as it showed I was going too "light" early on & means I am now working about 3 to 4 tier exercises harder than when I started for example Normal push up < elevated push up <normal push up + red band < elevated push up + red band etc.

Also I am at a point where I am allowing a "consolidation" phase with some exercises where I can hit 10 sets of 5 with them but the reps aren't as clean as I like near the end so I am staying with the sets/reps & exercise a little longer in order to "own" the exercise before moving up if that makes sense.
Also where I can't hit 10 sets of 5 I might add a few more sets of 3 near the end especially if I know I am going to still be plugging away at the other exercise for 10 sets.
Basically I am waiting for the intensity of the exercise to limit the sets except in the accessories like banded good mornings or abs where I do 2 sets regardless of I could do more. I have increased the resistance a few times with banded good mornings.

I just saw this. Modifications may be necessary to condense time. "Train For Life" is exactly that. Trying to find an optimal zone that can allow you to have a life, but have optimal fitness. It is not a book on peaking. You will be adequate in strength, endurance and mobility, but not great. If you have a family and job you will still be able to run a 5K for charity, participate in your wife's yoga class and change a tire without a back ache. Higher sets allow for form. Also the much respected 5x5 is a good place to start after vacations, illness or inactivity. Just adding sets builds capacity. Train don't strain.

Im looking for a simple BW program. Minimalistic that could make me strong. I have just Got a copy of Furmans Armor of war and its look like what Im looking for. He recommends 25 rep total pr exercises and next step going after 50 reps(5x10). But i like ‘Pavel style). So 10x5 will be the Way for me.
Any one in here have tried it?
It’s 10 sets of 5 reps. I have done it and think it’s a great programme. I highly recommend all of Tom Furman‘s work.

Hi everybody! I've read the book and it's great in its simplicity, but I wonder how to add deadlifts to the program. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The book FAQ says for banded good mornings 2-3 sets of 20-30.
So I guess it depends what weight your using.
But I think 2-3 sets is plenty adjust the reps to intensity.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom