all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tonight's Courage Corner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
This was my courage corner for 2 weeks (view with volume low):
This is awesome! Was the ship underway when this was filmed? I've often wondered how a get-up would work on the rolling deck of a ship!

Yea, my imagination is active. For a landlubber.

I work as a ship surveyor and ended up stuck on a Russian ship for 2 weeks in the middle of the sea. I went down to check the gym and the Strength Gods were kind enough to put on board and old rusty 32 kg competition bell, a barbell and some plates. These were my toys:

View attachment 5714

This was my courage corner for 2 weeks (view with volume low):

Better than being in a gym. Excellent technique on the squat get ups.

If memory serves, the OHS getup was shown in a More Russian Kettlebell Challenges, which wasn’t a book, only a video.

-S-

@Anna C thanks! Interesting that you mention my posture, since I have been working on it for the last month. Apparently its paying off.

@The Nail in this case the ship was at anchors and with good weather, so rolling very gently. Underway with bad weather rolling can get bad, I wouldnt attempt a get up in those conditions!

@somanaut the squat-get up takes some time to get used to. I started using it because I had patellar tendinitis and the lunge bothered my knees. Now I continue using it every time I practice on a hard surface, I dont enjoy the kneeling positions on hard surfaces. I noticed that having practiced so much the squat-get up the lunge was my sticking point when I returned to regular get ups, so I now do a lunge after the squat-get up. If you liked the squat variation you can slowly work on it, my squatting mobility has significantly improved since I started.

That's awesome. Love the scenery and the resourcefulness. I like the way you do the get-up squat variation but also add in the lunge. And P.S., you walk with really great posture!

Thanks for sharing. Never seen that TGU variation before where you swap in an overhead squat instead. Looks cool.

Edit: Tried the overhead squat variation myself...I do NOT have the neccessary thoracic or shoulder mobility for that move at all!

This is awesome! Was the ship underway when this was filmed? I've often wondered how a get-up would work on the rolling deck of a ship!

Yea, my imagination is active. For a landlubber.

Downtown Rochester, NY in the distance - training at one end of Cobb's Hill reservoir. Always a breeze, few mosquitos, protected old growth forest at one end. Still breaking in the sandbag and a few sacks of steel shot for extra weight.

n0QLsQf.jpg

VJqW57n.jpg

4skyzSK.jpg

Running at the reservoir today, 3/ 12 minute miles. Slow but still respectable for not having run at all in about 9 years.

This is the old lion over the door to the pumphouse. Pretty sure he has a nickname but cannot recall, dates back to 1908.

EqUn4ob.jpg

Running at the reservoir today, 3/ 12 minute miles. Slow but still respectable for not having run at all in about 9 years.

This is the old lion over the door to the pumphouse. Pretty sure he has a nickname but cannot recall, dates back to 1908.

EqUn4ob.jpg
Nice running , cool scenery too

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom