all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Torn Calluses Care

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bangtguh

Level 2 Valued Member
Recently I have a bad case of torn calluses while running The Giant. It’s so bad that it impedes my session and make me skip a day.

What do you think about using gloves for Kettlebell training? Or do you have any advice in how to take care of your palm? The mistress starting to complain about mine.

P.S: I train in my living room, using chalk might dirty the floor.

Recently I have a bad case of torn calluses while running The Giant. It’s so bad that it impedes my session and make me skip a day.

What do you think about using gloves for Kettlebell training? Or do you have any advice in how to take care of your palm? The mistress starting to complain about mine.

I've used chalk in my living room without an issue.
I put the chalk in a draw string plastic carrier bag that I got from a shoe purchase. I can remove excess powder within the bag without an excessive dust cloud.

Recently I have a bad case of torn calluses while running The Giant.
Honestly, torn calluses from C&P is indicative of a technique issue. Cleans and presses are not (shouldn't be) particularly hard on the hands.

What do you think about using gloves for Kettlebell training?
Especially in my first few years of lifting KBs I experimented with all kinds of hand protection (tape, gloves, sock sleeves, gymnastic grips, etc.) and never found anything really satisfactory. Having any material between my hand and the bell makes holding on to the bell harder, and there was almost always slippage between the material and my hand which made gripping more difficult and just didn't feel good. Some people are philosophically opposed to wearing gloves or other hand protection, but my objections are strictly practical.

The key for me what just putting in a lot of reps over time, refining my technique, and listening to my hands. Stopping a session short because your hands are starting to feel hot is always better than getting a blister or tear that takes time to heal. But it's been a long time since I've had to stop a session short, and I can only remember getting a blister once in about the last decade.

Or do you have any advice in how to take care of your palm? The mistress starting to complain about mine.
Is the problem specifically tears, or calluses in general? Calluses themselves are unavoidable. You can file them down to keep them from getting too thick, but I find that as my technique has gotten better I rarely have to do this (I go weeks without needing to). For filing calluses I highly recommend a glass "nano" foot file (there are lots of brands on Amazon that all look the same). These files take the skin off easily without being too aggressive and leave a nice smooth surface, plus they are easy to wash clean. I find they work better on dry skin than wet.

The other thing is that you shouldn't grip the handle with your palm. You will get a callus line below the base of the fingers, but not actually on the palm. Some people do use a deeper palm grip for heavy snatches, but that's a more specialized technique, and after experimenting with it I tend not to use it under most circumstances.

I use chalk in my office at work with no problem. I keep a chalk ball in a Tupperware-style bowl and wipe off the excess over the bowl. You don't need a thick coating, just a light dusting. There's also liquid chalk.

Last edited:

Please post a video.

-S-

Using a quality hand cream or salve after training, before bed and throughout the day will help a lot.It'll keep the calloused skin more pliable and the surrounding areas healthier as well. Burts Bees makes good stuff. I haven't had any issues since I started using it consistently.

Do you file your calluses? Use a quality cream?
Hand Care 101 | StrongFirst

As others have mentioned, it is probably a technique problem such as gripping too tightly. The Giant is fairly high volume but only for 20-30 min three times a week, so the Giant can't be the main problem.

Please post a video.

-S-

As others have mentioned, it is probably a technique problem such as gripping too tightly. The Giant is fairly high volume but only for 20-30 min three times a week, so the Giant can't be the main problem.

This is a video of me doing DCP:

It is my 4th run of The Giant series, using single bell before. And this tearing happen when I reach week 3 where I try to increase the density of each session, maybe it causes my form to degrade. Please give me your advice on my form based on the video.

Sock Sleeves do wonders.

I regularly snatch in training - and they have saved my skin.

This is interesting. Might be the low cost solution to try (beside working on the technique)

I haven't file my calluses or using any cream. May try it from now.

Please give me your advice on my form based on the video.
Lots of good things happening there - couple of suggestions:

Try to finesse the bells into the rack position - you are doing a fine job of absorbing the shock as they hit but that's a less-than-ideal approach, especially when you're looking to do a lot of volume.

Pause a second in the rack before pressing - it will make it harder but it's what our SFG standards require and it will teach you to hold onto the tension before using it, a good skill.

Those are what I'd suggest you work on for now. In the future, as part of your finessing the bells into the rack position, learn to grab them only in the hooks of your fingers on the floor, and then you'll loosen your grip as your wrap you hand around the bell near the end of its travel, and that, in turn, will solve your hand tearing problem.

Carry on, post another video in a week or two.

-S-

As far as socks, I used toe socks with the toes cut out. They fit my hand perfectly and they stayed in place, no matter how many consecutive snatches or cleans.

That enabled me to do high reps while refining my technique to where I no longer needed them.

It is my 4th run of The Giant series, using single bell before. And this tearing happen when I reach week 3 where I try to increase the density of each session, maybe it causes my form to degrade. Please give me your advice on my form based on the video.

This is interesting. Might be the low cost solution to try (beside working on the technique)

I haven't file my calluses or using any cream. May try it from now.
It looks like you are overgripping the bells during the clean. Relax your hands. You don’t need to squeeze the bells during the clean. I think of spearing the hand through the handle on the way up - I think this helps with both overgripping and getting banged at the top. You want to slip the bell from the fingers to the palm and back again, and the tighter you squeeze the less it slips and the more it snags at the skin, creating heavy callouses and tears.

You have a lot better of a clean than what I had when I started so great work so far!!!

Cotton fingerless gloves is a long time standard. I purchased these from Amazon, cut the fingers off, and good to go. Gotta get the technique down, regardless. Oh, and if you do try gloves, try with a lighter bell first and not around any bystanders :)

learn to grab them only in the hooks of your fingers on the floor, and then you'll loosen your grip as your wrap you hand around the bell near the end of its travel, and that, in turn, will solve your hand tearing problem.

Relax your hands. You don’t need to squeeze the bells during the clean.
A great call, I relaxed my hands and the friction with my palms is greatly reduced. The bells also travel more smoothly around my hand on the clean portion. Thanks coaches!

Pause a second in the rack before pressing - it will make it harder but it's what our SFG standards require and it will teach you to hold onto the tension before using it, a good skill.
Also practiced this on my last session, definitely feel harder. When you said "hold onto the tension" is it okay to breath a little as long as I keep the tension on my body, right?

you are doing a fine job of absorbing the shock as they hit but that's a less-than-ideal approach, especially when you're looking to do a lot of volume.

Try to finesse the bells into the rack position - you are doing a fine job of absorbing the shock as they hit but that's a less-than-ideal approach, especially when you're looking to do a lot of volume.
Can you show me any video on how to finesse the bells into rack position?
In this video
In this video he looks like "whipping" his elbow forward before receiving the bell into the rack, is this what you mean?

Cotton fingerless gloves is a long time standard.
Just bought one in local store. Going to cut the fingers off before next session. Thanks!

Yes. The only way to keep the bell close to you is to bring the elbow back.

Also practiced this on my last session, definitely feel harder. When you said "hold onto the tension" is it okay to breath a little as long as I keep the tension on my body, right?
I would not. Rather inhale as the bell swings back or before you even start it moving from the ground, then hiss/grunt out a little as you pass the sticking point in your press.

-S-

I would not. Rather inhale as the bell swings back or before you even start it moving from the ground, then hiss/grunt out a little as you pass the sticking point in your press.
So one inhale should last for one reps of clean and press? I feel like fainting just imagining it.

Will practice it on tomorrow session.

Breathe during the clean. That’s if you’re doing clean and press. if you’re doing one clean and many presses, then you’ll need to breathe in the rack position.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom