all posts post new thread

Barbell Total Body Routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ROUGHRIDER13

Level 1 Valued Member
Is just floor presses and trap bar deadlifts a total body routine? If not, what other exercises can I add?

Thanks

Trap bar lifts (not a deadlift, not a squat, but something in-between), dips and pull ups. That would cover almost anything.

IMHO, a normal deadlift and a press is sufficiently comprehensive.

But I confess I don't get "total body routine." Forgive me for asking, buy why do you, or why does anyone, need or want a "total body routine?"

-S-

By "total body routine" I meant sufficiently comprehensive. I just wanted to make sure strength would be developed in all areas.

Thanks

By "total body routine" I meant sufficiently comprehensive. I just wanted to make sure strength would be developed in all areas.

Thanks

In my opinion, the bare minimum you need is:

- One lower body lift.

- One upper body push.

- One upper body pull.

And my personal choice would be:

- One lower body push (any type of squat).

- One lower body pull (any type of hinge).

- One upper body horizontal push (bench, dips, push ups...).

- One upper body horizontal pull (bent over rows, body rows...).

- One upper body vertical push (overhead press, pike, push ups...).

- One upper body horizontal pull (pull ups, chins...).

Session 1: lower body pull, vertical upper body push, vertical upper body pull.

Session 2: lower body push, horizontal upper body pull, horizontal upper body push.

Sufficient for what, though? I sit in a chair for most of my living; a barbell deadlift, a kettlebell press, walking and stretching are sufficiently comprehensive for me. I don't know that I have hit every muscle but I don't see what that's important, e.g., I don't have a great squat, but I don't miss having a great squat, either.

Not trying to give you a hard time, @ROUGHRIDER13, just trying to make a point that we should strive for the minimum effective dose of exercise, not comprehensiveness - at least that's how I see it.

-S-

I don't get that you don't get it. Working all muscles is a very common concept. I don't see floor presses and dead lifts as working lats, traps... D

Why, to impress the girls of course. Dose not the concept of working every muscle in the body for strength, real life fitness and maybe hypertrophy make sense? I don't get that you don't get why even if you get that. Who's on first? D

Well actually no body "needs" a whole body routine. I like laying in bed eating candy and watching reruns of Combat. I still don't understand what is wrong or incorrect about wanting to make sure you are working on and hopefully improving the strength and function and maybe size of all muscles. D

Roughrider13, Help me out here. Maybe you can elucidate clearly to Steve your personal goals. Maybe it's to become Roughrider16?? D

I don't get that you don't get it. Working all muscles is a very common concept. I don't see floor presses and dead lifts as working lats, traps... D

If deadlifts are not working your lats and traps, you are not doing them right.

Any training routine is a compromise based on your goals, priorities and situation (training and injury history, scheduling factors, recovery factors, etc.).

A deadlift and a press is a great minimalist combination that works a lot of different muscles and builds strength that carries over to a lot of other activities. However, if you want to, for example, increase your barbell squat, pullup strength, or the size of your calves, DLs and presses aren't the best ways to address these goals.

Steve F. is just pointing out to make sure that what you are looking for matches your goals. If your goal is for aesthetic development of all the muscles, a la body building, then what you are looking for makes sense, and someone can give more directed advice towards that goal. If that's not your goal, he's making sure you aren't following "common concepts" grounded in goals that you don't particularly share.

"Keep the goal the goal." - Dan John

One more thought on this.

Own all the basic movement patterns but don't load all of them heavily.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom