all posts post new thread

Old Forum Total Package weekly Template

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

keith_g

Level 4 Valued Member
I have been using the 'total package weekly template' for a few months now with good results. I have a query regarding the conditioning days though.

In the article Pavel says: 'Tuesdays and Fridays are all about high rep ballistics: swings, snatches, cleans, jerks. “High rep” in the context of the StrongFirst training system means 10-20. The conditioning effect will come from keeping your rest intervals brief. Drive your heart rate up and keep it there.'

What are we talking in terms of heart rate? How does this fit in with all the recent discussion about working at a more moderate level of intensity/aerobic dominant program?

Keith,

That is a good question. If I were to follow this template, I would employ long rest type conditioning with Jerks and/or Snatches (30-60 sec work / 2-5 min rest) for 4-8 sets.

Refer to the articles section which provides the supporting research and template.

Shawn

Keith, do not red line it at any point but some times push harder; most times rest long enough to pass the talk test.

Keith,

I tend to naturally gravitate towards a similar schedule. One example you might find helpful from my training:

I like to do snatches with 32kg on Tuesdays. My PR is 100 reps in 5 min, and I would call that a pretty true "max" attempt. A "typical" Tuesday snatch session would be 32kg x 10L+10R x 6 sets, with rounds lasting 2 minutes. So, for perspective, on a "max day" I could do 20 reps per minute, but most of my training sessions I average 10 reps per minute. Some weeks I use a little shorter rest, some a little longer, but overall it feels "about right" to me. I feel I make better overall progress, not just in my snatches but my other lifts too, by actually taking these "longer" rest periods.

Hope that helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom