all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Total tension

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi guys, im doing S&S with a 24kg at the moment but i must admit i do gwt bored with it sometimes, always go back to it tho as i love the getups.

Today i fancied a change and tried total tension, i only own a 10, 2x16 and a 24kg bell.

I thought to myself, i need to be using 24s really buy hey ill just take it easy and go with the 16s....wrong! Wasnt easy haha
I worked up to 6 reps and back down on the presses and could barely pick up my drink around half way my shoulders were burning so much haha

Took around 16 mins to complete

Everything else was easy but really enjoyed the change and defo need more pressing power!

Will stick with this routine for probably 4/6 weeks before going back to s&s for the same time.

Hi Gary,

Nice work with going up the pyramid to 6. I'm in my 4th week of Total Tension with 24s and am also currently on a pyramid to 6 for both presses and squats. I saw your time to complete the pyramid and thought "Either I'm going slow, or he's going too fast." My rest periods between sets are "I go, you go." You could try adding an addition 15-30 seconds of rest in between and focusing on tension and control each phase.

Hi thanks, yes i think it was rather quick.

I think really the 16s maybe a little light, im going to carry on untill i get 8 reps which i dont think will be long its just that ive not done any pressing for a while then I'll buy another 24 and start from 4 reps

The clean squat and row were super easy

Hi Gary,
I little advice because I have struggled when I tried to double press for the first time, so it's just based on my experience : be careful, don't rush. The transition from 2x16 to 2x24 will be very challenging. It could be useful to work on your one arm press with the 24kg bell first. Do you know how many reps you can do with 24kg in one set ?
When I tried the double press for the first time, I was able to do 6 strict reps with one arm, and I just performed two reps with the double 24 ;-)
Again, that's just from my experience...

Thanks all advice appreciated and welcome

I can do about 4 reps with one arm 24 kg at the moment

I have done pressing before back in my gym days a couple of years ago and as good as simple and sinister has been for other reasons, I do feel like I've lost pressing power since doing it

Just wondering, would armour building program be better to start with as wouod be less pressing

No ive read it a couple of times but i just never seem to be able to get my head around it, rungs etc plus ive not spent any time practicing snatches yet.

Today i done 3 ladders of 123 with double 16s and couldn't resist the temptation of the 24s staring at me.
I done 3 rounds of the armour complex with them, was tough but not impossible, i filmed it and i think it looks pretty good form wise.
I also done a few reps of deadlifts and racked walks with them

Last edited:
Gary,
You would certainly be able to do more total volume in a session with the body armor complex than with TTC, with the 24kg bell.
However, I agree with Stu : a pressing program like ROP or the plan of the Strongfirst kettlebell course would be way to prepare yourself, in a first time.

No ive read it a couple of times but i just never seem to be able to get my head around it, rungs etc plus ive not spent any time practicing snatches yet.
It's well explained in some other threads here, complete with lists of reps, days, etc. There is a thread with the title ROP Support Group, I think, that might have this.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom