all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "Toughness" sessions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
So, this is a question that I came up with after spending a large part of the year cross training in wrestling to supplement my training in Brazilian jiu jitsu. I've noticed in reading up a lot of resources as well as talking with those who have come up through the system of school/collegiate wrestling is that they are big on "toughness" sessions and mindset training.

Anyway, some examples of those types of sessions I've seen have been things like doing 1,000 pushups as fast as you can, or 2,000 pushups in a day, 250 pullups in a day, 1,000 bodyweight squats, etc.

Are there any folks out there with thoughts on things like this to do maybe once a month or every other month to see what happens?

So, this is a question that I came up with after spending a large part of the year cross training in wrestling to supplement my training in Brazilian jiu jitsu. I've noticed in reading up a lot of resources as well as talking with those who have come up through the system of school/collegiate wrestling is that they are big on "toughness" sessions and mindset training.

Anyway, some examples of those types of sessions I've seen have been things like doing 1,000 pushups as fast as you can, or 2,000 pushups in a day, 250 pullups in a day, 1,000 bodyweight squats, etc.

Are there any folks out there with thoughts on things like this to do maybe once a month or every other month to see what happens?
I mentioned in another post how we would do 'depletion days'. Maybe 8 hours or more of pretty much non-stop running, cycling, rock climbing, rucking, calisthenics, parkour, etc... no food. Would that count?

That would definitely count. Do you think you got anything out of it, or was it a whole lot of soreness for nothing?

That would definitely count. Do you think you got anything out of it, or was it a whole lot of soreness for nothing?
You know... that's a really good question...
It seemed like a good idea at the time. But in reality it's a bit like training for a bad nights sleep. You are gonna suffer on a climbing trip no matter what.

Hello,

Cold shower only ? Do not use the elevator or do not use a coat ?

Beyond the physical training, it mainly builds resilienccy and discipline, "being comfortable while uncomfortable". If you do it once, your brain then knows it is doable anytime if necessary.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Cold shower only ? Do not use the elevator or do not use a coat ?

Beyond the physical training, it mainly builds resilienccy and discipline, "being comfortable while uncomfortable". If you do it once, your brain then knows it is doable anytime if necessary.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Intentionally choosing inconveniences builds a certain toughness, requires a certain mindset.

After being afraid of cold showers for most of my life I learned several years ago that it was almost entirely mental and not physilogical. I used to think I need to "tamper my skin" and "develop mechanisms to warm myself up" before I could take cold showers.
However, I learned to tolerate them relatively fast which is unlikely to be a result of physiological adaptations, they just don't happen so quick with anything. But because I saw Wim Hof do it and (more importantly), I saw other "untrained" people do it almost immediately, my brain was "reassured" that this is not that big of a deal.
So I think "toughness sessions" are useful just as ways to show your brain that it is ok, you can survive it and then you are less likely to freak out in a similar stressful situation. It will still be stressful, but you will be more "productive" during it.

If you are a combat athlete, save the toughness for the mat, ring, or cage.

Masahiko Kimura did that more often than once per month and it seemed to work pretty well for him.

Masahiko Kimura did that more often than once per month and it seemed to work pretty well for him.

The question is - what if he didn't?

Don't take me wrong, there is a time and place of few (carefully planned!) tougher sessions - what we call "glycolytic peaking" in Strong Endurance - but why to get smoked just to get smoked? A few sparring rounds with black belts or shoveling snow will do the job. Better, and more useful.

Last edited:
The question is - what if he didn't?

Don't take me wrong, there is a time and place of few (carefully planned!) tougher sessions - what we call "glycolytic peaking" in Strong Endurance - but why to get smoked just to get smoked? A few sparring rounds with black belts or shoveling snow will do the job. Better, and more useful.

It would be for mental purposes only. I can see the value in building mental fortitude simply by knowing you can suffer.

I think the mental focus to grind through a heavy rep builds toughness. Especially when it is over and over again. For some reason, for me, this rings the most true with heavy barbell back squats. One has to be tough to walk out with a weight that could crush you, lower it, and then stand back up. There is definitely a mental component there. The devil on my shoulder tells me to give up on that rep, it is heavy, I've done enough... But then I do another rep!

So proper training, by itself, likely takes care of this for most.

Don't take me wrong, there is a time and place of few (carefully planned!) tougher sessions - what we call "glycolytic peaking" in Strong Endurance - but why to get smoked just to get smoked?

I agree. I think the mental toughness gained (although impossible to measure to prove) from one lactic aerobic feat is insignificant compared to it being gained from executing a consistent, proper training plan. Coming into the gym day after day, year after year, decade after decade, builds a mental toughness well beyond 1 day of torture.

This is just my opinion.

Hello,

I think we have to make a difference between being strong and being tough. A roofer is both of them for instance. Nonetheless, "professional athlete" such as strongmen (for instance) are - IMO - firstly strong (but do not take me wrong, this does not mean they are not tough).

WWI soldiers were tough and good ruckers.

Being tough, IMO, is the ability to endure at anytime, a certain degree of physical and / or mental pain / discomfort and still normally perform to get the job done.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Some professional athletes who have attained the highest levels of greatness have some good lessons about this. Two audio pieces that I enjoyed and learned from:

Apolo Anton Ohno: 8-time Olympic medalist – extreme training, discipline, pursuing perfection, and responding to adversity (EP.29)

The Art of Learning (Josh Waitzkin)

I like these two in particular because their sports (Short Track Speed Skating and Tai Chi Push Hands) require skill, strength, and endurance, all in great quantities.

A roofer is both of them for instance.

Being tough, IMO, is the ability to endure at anytime, a certain degree of physical and / or mental pain / discomfort and still normally perform to get the job done.
Try doing construction for life, when I was 18 I labored doing heavy work for a local concrete contractor, the owner was a Polish guy in his late fifties, he had stove pipes for forearms and hands that could crush walnuts. One day he said to me, "it's a good life.. if you don't weaken" . I never forgot it.
To me toughness is knowing you have hours more work still, hammering overhead while shoulders scream for mercy, knowing you have to finish or you don't get paid while the family depends on you. When you get cut you tape it shut with electrical tape and keep going, when you shoot a nail through your hand, pull it out, tape up and keep going...

Nah, I don't need no steenkin toughness sessions, personally I've had enough

Do two hour training runs come from being mentally tough, or does doing two hour training runs make you mentally tough?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom