all posts post new thread

Toward the SF Trifecta

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hobbes

Level 6 Valued Member
Background: 61 year old who lives for sports & fitness. Participated and coached too many different sports to mention. I went back to school in 2000 (while working full time) and got a kinesiology degree. I've followed Pavel T. since he began getting some press, as at the time I was using a Sheiko program for powerlifting and was intently interested in Soviet influenced training. I've met our community leader, Steve, as well as Dr. Hartle. I have more texts - including Soviet translations - in weightlifting, powerlifting and training than most people have books. Dr. Mel Siff was a friend and I attended several Supertraining camps at his home in Colorado - definately a highlight. So I really go back a long way with StrongFirst and have similar influences.

Aims: With my background I played around with several goals, but after talking to my noon group we settled on the SF trifecta. I was inspired by Brett Jones article, "To Every Season: A simple Way to Structure a Year of Training". Our training will have three seasons:
  • January thru April - Tactical Strength Challenge
  • May thru August - Obstacle Course Challenge
  • September thru December - Beast Tamer Challenge
I was going to do a SF decathlon, that would allow to to meet the minimum requirements for certifications in bodyweight, kettlebell and barbell. But we settled on this instead, as we felt it covered all the bases. Note our obstacle course challenge preparation includes swimming, for me anyhow.

Plan: Another inspiration is Pavel Macek and his focus on Simple & Sinister. I plan to use the Quick and the Dead as a base for all our training - year round. Unlike Pavel M. we don't have regular martial art sessions to hone our movement skills (although several of us have martial art and/or fresstyle wrestling backgrounds). So I intend to use the principle of the Quick and the Dead (QnD) to guide our training, but overlay and/or integrate other programs (such as Rites of Passage, Deadlift Singles, ETK Plus, etc.) over it.

Shorthand: the Quick and the Dead is a relatively new book with a lot of research behind it. To me it was somewhat different than other Pavel T. books in that he didn't just draw on his extensive knowledge base and put a program in a book. He had to research and build his knowledge base to develop this program. I respect that and intend to respect the intellectual property behind that. So my QnD shorthand is based on the book and you have to either have the book or know the program to understand it. I have no intention of giving away the program in this excellent book

Qnd protocol 033c is the swing and power pushup protocol. For the most part I do it by the book, using dice to determine rounds, whether one-hand or two, etc.

So if I write "3 series QnD protocol 033 using 32kg kb for 5/4 one-hand swing and 5/4 power pushup” - anyone who has read the book or attended Strong Endurance courses will know what I did. To those who haven't - I'm sorry, but I am not giving away Pavel T. program.

I will at times also do the 044 protocol where I will write: "5 series QnD protocol 044 using 28kg kb for 10/2 snatches”.

If you don't know what this means then I recommend purchasing the book. Please don't ask me to break it down further as I won't.

I may switch movements, mostly using movements from the book for the 033c protocol. So my 'press' can be a power pushup, a dip or a viking push press. My squat/pull may be a one-hand swing, two-hand swing, barbell power clean or tuck jumps. For the 044 protocol I most often use kettlebell snatches, but may use barbell power snatches or burpees on occasion. I've competed and coached Olympic weightlifting so I'm pretty comfortable with these movements.

Most of the programs I overlay or integrate are what I consider public domain, so I am pretty clear on what I'm doing. My first month I'm integrating the strength portion of the 5-week one bell program Pavel wrote for M&F online.

Friday, September 13, 2019 is our last day of 6 weeks of straight Quick and the Dead exactly as laid out by the book. We have loved it, but find that days where will roll a low number of rounds is pretty easy and short. It was a great break from our prior bloc that was heavily metabolic conditioning. We feel fully recovered and ready to "pickle the beast".

So there it is! Questions or comments are welcome!

Last edited:
Upon review I’m following the book more closely

4 series QnD protocol 033 using 40kg kb for 5/4 one-hand swings and 5/4 power pushups

I edited the above to reflect this

Warm-up - 2 series of: 5 36kg goblet squat, 4+4 20kg halos, prying pump stretch

5 series QnD protocol 033 using 36kg kb for 5/4 one hand swing and (bw + 0 bands) for 5/4 power pushups

3+3 half ‘resilient’ get-up (focus on left shoulder rotation and stability)

90/90 stretch, ql straddle, bridge

This week the plan is for 3 QnD sessions (I roll a dice where 1 means 2 sessions, 2 or 3 means 3 sessions, 4 or 5 means 4 sessions and 6 means 5 sessions - my dice landed on 2). I have added a series to the program as laid out, so depending on the dice we could do 3, 4, 5 or 6 series of protocol 033.

Tue, Sep 17, 2019

2 rds of: 5 goblet Cossack squat, 5+5 halos, side to side hangs

3 series (8 min duration per series) - 5-4-3-2-1 (bw+0) pullup & 5-4-3-2-1 20kg kb press (each side)

goblet pistols as practice

90/90 stretch, brettzels, bridge

I was pleasantly surprised I could press the 20kg kb with my left arm. I snatched the kb and then was able to achieve a no-pause rack or at least close to a rack position. The half-getups appear to be helping the shoulder. I have had both distal biceps tendons re-attached and then tore the proximal tendon several years ago. Press hasn’t been good since.

Wed, Sep 18, 2019
  • prep: goblet cossack squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 3 series QnD protocol 033 using 36kg kb for 10/2 one hand swing and (bw+0) for 10/2 power pushups
  • get-up practice
  • one-hand deadlifts to 275# (each hand)
  • finish: 90/90 stretch, brettzels, bridge
Fun day. There was a bar left loaded on the platform with 275 on it so I had at it.

Thu, Sep 19,2019
  • 2 rds of: goblet cossacks, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 2 series (8 min duration includes active rest per series) - 5-4-3-2-1 (bw+0) pullup & 5-4-3-2-1 20kg kb press (each side)
  • additional work with 4 pound sand balls - throw, catch, shoulder range if movement, etc
  • 90/90 stretch, brettzels, bridge

Fri, Sep 20, 2019
  • 2 rds of: cossack squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 4 series QnD protocol 033 using 36kg kb for 5/4 one hand swing and 5/4 (black mini-band) power pushups
  • practice get-ups
Added a mini-band to the push-up. I felt I wasn’t able to generate maximum force, but in retrospect a clapping push-up would have worked fine.

I’m running tonight in a 10k fundraiser with all 4 members of the noon crew. Classic type A personalities. They wanted to cancel the workout the day of the 10k. My reply? “The 10k is just a cherry on the Quick & the Dead sundae!”

I’m running tonight in a 10k fundraiser with all 4 members of the noon crew. Classic type A personalities. They wanted to cancel the workout the day of the 10k. My reply? “The 10k is just a cherry on the Quick & the Dead sundae!”
It was a long, slow cherry for me. 62 minutes.

Mon, Sep 23, 2019
  • 2 series of: goblet cossacks, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 3 series (8 min duration per series) - 5-3-2 (bw+0) pullup & 5-3-2 20kg kb press (each side)
  • 1-arm bb dl singles for each arm at - 135, 185, 225, 275

Tue, Sep 24, 2019
  • 2 series of: goblet cossack squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 5 series QnD protocol 033 using 36kg kb for 10/2one hand swing and (bw+red band) for 10/2 power pushups
  • pistol practice
Only better is better - which is maximal power expression

I lead training of 4 competitive type A guys. You could say I coach (teach) them. I often think I learn more by coaching or teaching than by being the student. Today is a case in point.

Despite warning everyone that the Quick & the Dead will seem easy, but DON'T MESS WITH THE REST PERIODS - everyone messes with the rest periods. They mess with the program. Some of this goes to being type A, some of it goes back to the teacher messing with the program. I started adding in a series so we were doing between 3 and 6 series every workout. But I re-read and I changed back to Pavel's program. Then today, as I watched one of my guys mess with the rest period because he was late and in a hurry to get back to work, I had one of those 'AHA!!'moments.

My 'aha' moment was built on yesterday's practice as well, when I watched guys cut short the pullup. No dead hangs, chicken-necking to get over the bar, no hollow holds etc. Everyone was anxious to finish their ladder first, because being FIRST IS BETTER!! And it is sometimes better - but in this program where strict performance is required doing a full, strict rep is better.

Years ago I improved dramatically in powerlifting following the Sheiko MSIC program. Because MORE IS BETTER! Right? Sometimes more is better. But not in the QnD. Faster isn't better. Bigger isn't better. More isn't better.

In the Quick & the Dead, better is maximal power expression. What resistance allows maximal power expression? Particularly in the swing and the snatch? Instead of worrying about finishing faster, or using a bigger kb, or adding volume or manipulating the program in any way - how can I perform the movements with more force?

This is the difference between internal versus external motivation. It's obvious who is completing the reps faster, or using the biggest kb or adding in series. But it isn't always obvious who is creating maximal power expression on every rep. But if I want improvement that has to be my focus.

I need to forget about changing the program. I need to change myself. I need to develop the strength and fortitude to trust the program and focus on working within the parameters instead of manipulating them. How can I maximize power today? In the series? In the set? In each rep?

Wed, Sep 25, 2019: beast tamer season
  • warmup: goblet cossack squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 4 series (8 min duration per series) - 5-4-3-2-1 (bw+0) pullup & 5-4-3-2-1 20kg kb press (each side)
This is the strength part of Pavel’s 5 weeks - 1 bell program. After years of Olympic and powerlifting this feels funny - like bodybuilding. So much volume. It should provide a good base for low rep work coming up.

Thu, Sep 26: beast tamer season
  • 2 series of: goblet cossack squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 4 series QnD protocol 033 using 36kg kb for 10/2 one hand swing and (bw+0) for 10/2 power pushups
  • kb press singles to 32kg

Fri, Sep 27, 2019
  • Warm-up - 2 rds of: 5 goblet cossack squat, 5+5 halos, prying pump stretch
  • 2 series (8 min duration per series) - 5-4-3-2-1 (bw+0) pullup & 5-4-3-2-1 20kg kb press (each side)
  • goblet pistols practice to a shaky, heel touched a few times single with 28kg
The goblet pistol isn’t a strength, but we are working more on developing movement skill than strength. Today we had some time to practice so we started adding some weight. The main thing I find is I have to create tension and I have a huge imbalance between hip extensor and hip flexor strength. Years of sitting and powerlifting.

Roll 5 - 3 QnD sessions this week
Roll 4 - 4 series today
Roll 4 - 5/4 today

Mon, Sep 30, 2019
  • Warm-up - goblet cossack squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 4 series QnD protocol 033 using 40kg kb for 5/4 one hand swing and for 5/4 'clap' pushups
  • goblet pistol & pullup practice
  • 90/90 stretch, kb armbars, bridge
I bumped my kb back up to 40 kgs. I don’t notice much difference in terms of ‘feeling’ explosive between the 36 and the 40. It would be nice to have a PUSH device to quantify velocity. Or a force plate.

Last edited:
Tue, Oct 1, 2019
Day 13 of Pavel’s 5 weeks 1 bell program
  • Warm-up - goblet cossack squat, bridges, side to side hangs
  • 4 series (8 minutes duration per series)
    • 5-3-2 20kg kb press
    • 5-3-2 tactical pull-ups
    • Practice pistols during rest
  • 90/90 stretch, kb arm bars, Paul Wade twist holds as cool down

I’ve been re-reading QnD. Also reading the most incredible thread - Alactic & Aerobic. In particular @Harald Motz and @Al Ciampa - two more people I have to follow on here. The thread has really given me more insight into QnD. I also read Pavel T’s article on “Long Rests”.

Now I have even more ideas on programming. I’m finding that I’m packing in a lot of upper body muscle using the 5 week 1 bell program. So are the guys I’m training. For them it is great. Not so much for me. After we complete this accumulation bloc I intend to focus more on ‘quick lifts’.

Roll 5 - 3 QnD sessions this week
Roll 6 - 5 series today
Roll 2 - 5/4 today

Wed, Oct 2, 2019
  • Warm-up - goblet squat, halos, prying pump stretch
  • 5 series QnD protocol 033 using 40kg kb for 5/4 one hand swing and for 5/4 'clap' pushups
  • goblet pistol ‘practice’
  • 90/90 stretch, brettzel, hang shoulder stretches
Focused on ‘hooking’ the swing and not using chalk, based on what I need to do to improve my kb snatch.

Thu, Oct 3, 2019

Day 16 of Pavel’s 5 weeks 1 bell program
  • 2 series (8 minutes duration per series)
    • 6-5-4-3-2-1 20kg kb press
    • 6-5-4-3-2-1 tactical pull-ups
  • Pistol practice
  • @Harald Motz inspired
    • 2-hand anyhow practice
    • zercher lifts
  • 90/90 stretch, kb arm bars, Paul Wade twist holds as cool down
Fun day. Due to a gimpy left shoulder the 2-hand anyhow was challenging with a 32 and 20. You’ve got to see Harald use about twice that. The zercher lift went to 255 lbs and wasn’t bad - except for the elbows.

Harald is a per... I mean inspiring guy.

Roll 2 - 3 series today
Roll 4 - 5/4 today

Fri, Oct 4, 2019
  • 3 series QnD protocol 033 using 40kg kb for 5/4 one hand swing and for 5/4 'clap' pushups
  • 3 singles in each
    • Back squat to 295
    • CG bench press to 165
    • Deadlift to 405
  • 90/90 stretch, ‘skin-the-cat’ shoulder stretches
Quiet gym so we just decided to do 3 singles in the high-bar back squat, close-grip bench and conventional dl. I was curious if I could bench without shoulder pain. Sounds nice I was well warmed up I decided to try. I’d say it caused me discomfort, but short of real pain. I did stay light.

Starting next week I intend to add in some running and I’ll post weekly rather than daily.

Last edited:
This week
  • warm-up - 2-3 rds of goblet squats, halos & prying pump stretch
  • finisher - 90/90 stretch, kb windmills and brettzels

Mon, Oct 7, 2019
  • 2 series (8 min duration per series) - 6-5-4-3-2-1 (bw+0) pullup & 6-5-4-3-2-1 20kg kb press (each side)
  • somewhat heavy singles - pause hi-bar squat 135/225/255, cg floor press 135/155/175, dl 225/315/405

Tue, Oct 8, 2019
  • 5 series QnD protocol 033 using 28g kb for 5/4 one hand snatch and 5/4 'clap' pushup
  • pistols practise

Wed, Oct 9, 2019
  • 5 series QnD protocol 033 using 28g kb for 5/4 one hand snatch and 5/4 'clap' pushup
  • pistols practise

Thu, Oct 10, 2019
  • 2 series QnD protocol 033 using 28g kb for 5/4 one hand snatch and 16kg kb 5/4 push press
  • 4 dl singles (275-325-375-425)
  • pistols practise
Fri, Oct 11, 2019

• 3 series (8 min duration per series) - 6-5-4-3-2 (bw+0) pullup & 6-5-4-3-2 20kg kb press (each side)
  • pistols 3x(5+5)
All in all a solid week. I did one longer run and swam twice as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom