all posts post new thread

Nutrition Tracking food

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Does anyone here track cals through MFP? I've used it in the past but invariably fall off the wagon after a few days.

I have and enjoyed doing it. The only issue I have really had was keeping up with it. I follow a low carb/keto whole food plan now so I'm less concerned about it now. This morning I had steak and eggs, nothing added so no big thing. I think that MFP is important for people that follow a less rigid plan. I rally saw how much carbs and sodium I was taking in. The sodium scared me.

Hi,

I am using it at the moment as I need to lose some weight. I've been using it on and off for about 5 weeks. For me, the key is to use it as an awareness tool - it gives me insight into the things I am eating. I keep to 1500 cals 4 days a week and don't worry too much about F/Sa/Sun. I've also realised, through the macro tracking, that I rarely get enough protein or fibre and I've been able to take action towards rectifying that. I fall off the wagon all the time but it's a long game so … :)

Cheers

Rob

I have and enjoyed doing it. The only issue I have really had was keeping up with it. I follow a low carb/keto whole food plan now so I'm less concerned about it now. This morning I had steak and eggs, nothing added so no big thing. I think that MFP is important for people that follow a less rigid plan. I rally saw how much carbs and sodium I was taking in. The sodium scared me.

The Ketogenic Diet

Your fear of sodium, especially on the Ketogenic Diet, is unfounded.

More sodium is required on the Ketogenic Diet, as well as other minerals.

If you are on the Ketogenic Diet (many believe they are but aren't) increasing sodium intake is vital.

Keto Flu

Those beginning a Ketogenic Diet often have flu like symptoms that are caused by a decrease in sodium levels.

Thus, individual who begin a Ketogenic Diet are advice to increase sodium intake. One method recommended is to consuming a Bullion drink that contains between 800 to 1,000 mg of sodium.

Some Bullion also contain another mineral that works with sodium, potassium.

Sodium is also a vital mineral for individual on other types of diets...

Sodium, Your Secret Weapon | T Nation

Studies in Canada at McGill and McMaster Universities have concluded that unless one has a specific and serious condition that would preclude him from taking in salt, then salt intake will produce no negative health problems, and could actually be health promoting. As a matter of fact, only 10% of hypertension cases have a known cause, and in almost all of these cases, the cause was either genetic or stress related.

...High-performance athletes should not avoid sodium. They should, in fact, ensure that they get adequate amounts of sodium every day to prevent negative metabolic consequences, and to promote maximum performance.

The article above go into greater depth in explaining the importance of sodium for athletes.

My Ketogenic Diet

As I have noted on this site, I've been on the Ketogenic Diet for almost 2.5 years.

I maintain a high sodium intake, generously salting my food and consuming a Knorr (brand name) Chicken Bullion beverage prior to training; 820 mg Sodium and 210 mg Potassium.

Summary

The dogma in the vilification sodium is unwarranted for healthy individual.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I found MFP great for packaged foods. When you try to enter "loose" real foods such as a cup of broccoli for example, there are many choices with different caloric numbers. At the end of the day I would feel is the numbers it is showing accurate? Its great for approximation I suppose when it comes to such foods.

@kennycro@@aol.com dropping massive knowledge bombs again!
Most people torture themselves unecessarily by following dogmatic half-truths.
Salting your food generously is delicious and beneficil.

What's MFP? I assume an app to track calories/makros?
I am tracking these, too. But in my head.

@kenneycro@@aol.com- I'm not saying I didn't need a lot of sodium and I am aware of what I need on the Keto diet. My issue I had was I was taking in an insane amount of sodium from a poor choice of foods I was eating. That's on me. As well, I should have been more clear with my original post. Thank you for the information. It is much appreciated.

+1 to @kennycro@@aol.com's recommendation of sufficient salt/sodium. If you cook for yourself, salt things liberally. I believe - no science claimed - that the effect of salt on our taste buds simply diminishes over time in contact with our food, e.g., if I make something at home then have the leftovers a day or two later, I often find I need to add salt. For packaged foods, the shelf time is certainly going to be longer, hence the tons of salt they use but that you don't really get to taste.

We keep an open dish of sea salt on our stove. In addition to using it in cooking, several of us have been known to walk by and grab a pinch and eat it - often perks one up mid-afternoon or whenever not feeling 100%.

-S-

I have used myfitnesspal extensively and find it easy to use and accurate in the sense of being fit for purpose if your goal is to maintain a calorie deficit (eg when faced with choices that conflict on calorie count I take the higher.

Re: sodium intake, if you have a blood pressure problem it is important to understand the effect sodium intakes have on you. For example eliminating sodium is one of a range of measures that has been shown to lower my blood pressure naturally but I am the only one in my family with a blood pressure problem. The rest salt their food liberally and show no ill effects

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom