all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Train with a broken forearm?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SteKen81

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi,

Two weeks ago I fractured my radius and chipped the end of the ulnar on my dominant arm (left).

I have a soft cast on for 6 weeks, that I can remove myself. For the past two weeks, all I have done is the odd bit of mobility and bodyweight squats.

I have asked around, some people advise I still train the right side with the kettlebell.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? If so, what did you do? Is it wise to continue doing 1H swings, C&P, racked squats etc

Thanks

It has been a while since I've broken any bones, but I've been around many athletes who have and the general rehab protocol is to safely train the other side of the body to help with strength and muscle tissue maintenance of the injured side, and for the overall benefit to health. Safely.

Thanks for the reply.

Would you say to continue kettlebell training with the right side pnly then?

@SteKen81
While recovering from shoulder surgery (I tore my rotator cuff playing basketball), I did couple of months of pretty intensive training on only one side. I basically did the same volume I would normally do, but with only one arm instead of split between arms.

My injured shoulder was my non-dominant side, so I was doing all the training on the side that was already stronger (I'm a lefty too, BTW).

There were absolutely no negative consequences of doing this. During my recovery, the surgical side had a lot of atrophy, but once I was cleared to train normally it quickly regained size and strength and caught up to my dominant side (within my normal range of difference between dominant and non-dominant).

I was advised against it (doing unilateral swings) by my doctor and by Sr. People on this forum due to potential imbalances.

Thanks for the reply.

Would you say to continue kettlebell training with the right side pnly then?
Let me put it this way. My teammates that jacked up and arm, leg ,shoulder,etc. As soon as they were able, began training Everything that was not jacked up, while using common sense

Hi,

I have a soft cast on for 6 weeks, that I can remove myself. For the past two weeks, all I have done is the odd bit of mobility and bodyweight squats.

I have asked around, some people advise I still train the right side with the kettlebell.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? If so, what did you do? Is it wise to continue doing 1H swings, C&P, racked squats etc

Thanks
If you are still breathing you should still be training ? . Great job continuing to do something and keeping a strong mindset. I think that is one of the greatest benefits of a kettle bell, you can work around almost any issue. So there should be no problem staying strong by using the other side. I hope you recover quickly.

Last edited:
There was a thread about this some time ago, but I could not find it.

Yes, train. The imbalances don’t become a problem if it’s short term.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom