all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training Around Travel Weeks

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
I'm going to have a week coming up soon where I'm traveling. I'll have time to get in cardio work and calisthenics, but no access to my usual program staples of barbells or kettlebells.

How do you prefer to train around weeks like this, in terms of maintaining program consistency? Just pick up where you left off? Repeat the training week before the week off? Other ideas?

I travel a lot... (like sometimes 60%)
I try to be as opportunistic as possible when traveling. Bodyweight stuff you can do anywhere. Running you can do anywhere. I always bring rock shoes and a chalk bag, so if there is a climbing gym or outdoor climbing I will do that.

And if none of that pans out, I just eat out and knock back an IPA or two...

When I get back home I just pick up where I left off.

I really don't worry about it much.

I try to train harder than usual before leaving, and treat it as a recovery week. If I can I bring a KB and running shoes. Running and the DMPM is all I need. Otherwise, just the running shoes.

Like @offwidth, I don’t worry about it. A week off won’t ruin anything, as long as overall consistency is solid.

There are however a few cases where I do worry about it. If I am peaking for an event, I tailor my on the road training as much as possible to be aligned with that. But I try to avoid traveling as much as possible during a peaking phase. But at times that's unavoidable...

I usually take the opportunity for extra rest but hotel gyms can be quite good these days so I rarely miss an opportunity to get some decent exercise even if I have to improvise the workout on-the-spot. For example I usually workout using barbells and machines but it seems quite trendy now for Australian hotel gyms to offer a pretty good selection of Dumbbells, so I just configure a workout using them

Doesn’t take a lot of equipment to come up with some kind of complex to do for 10 min. And running is a nice way to see a little of wherever it is you happen to have traveled to.

I do as @vegpedlr.

If I can't take anything I'll do something like this:

Push ups.
Squats and prisoner squats.
SLDL

I also try to focus on things I neglect during normal training such as running or stretching.

I travel about every other week, mostly to the same city. I joined a gym there so I can train for TSC, otherwise I’d just use the hotel fitness center and do dumbbell work.

If I know I'm not going to have access to a gym, I try to time it so that it's a deload week and run a lot if the city allows.

Or if I'm limited to the typical hotel gym with dumbells up to 50 or 70lbs, I do a Bryce Lane 50/20 dumbbell benchpress workout + pullups. I doubt a hypertrophy routine once every few months does anything, but it's kind of fun.

If on a structured program, when I'm back home I make the call whether to repeat the previous week, or just pick up where I left off.

I'm going to have a week coming up soon where I'm traveling. I'll have time to get in cardio work and calisthenics, but no access to my usual program staples of barbells or kettlebells.

How do you prefer to train around weeks like this, in terms of maintaining program consistency? Just pick up where you left off? Repeat the training week before the week off? Other ideas?
I am relatively new to the SFB 1-arm pushup, but now, about 10 weeks in, I am more and more impressed with what it teaches, and how much my other pressing has not suffered even though I've not practiced it.

I recommend getting on good terms with the Naked Warrior, and focusing on variations of the two lifts, pistol and 1-arm pushup, that you can do for a few reps. Do a few reps of a few sets a few days a week while you're away.

-S-

I am relatively new to the SFB 1-arm pushup, but now, about 10 weeks in, I am more and more impressed with what it teaches

Me too! Prepping for SFB in April. Not easy. Abs and glutes, especially. Wow.

Me too! Prepping for SFB in April. Not easy. Abs and glutes, especially. Wow.
Yup. Interesting to me, too, that on my not-great shoulders, when I go through the mindfulness exercise of getting everything lined up before I do a pushup, and go through the pushup focused on all the right cues, I end up with shoulders that, at least for a few minutes, work better than I ever thought they would again.

I am 4 months into my 6 months after my cert, and I'm feeling on schedule. I worked on 2-leg, 1-arm pushups, very slowly, up to being able to get 3-5 reps on each arm on a 12" box - most of the last 4 months, really, and now things are improving rapidly. I switched to a 10" box a week or two ago, and I saw Master Instructor Phil Scarito a few days ago and completed a 1-arm, 2-leg pushup from the floor. I did those, plus some elevated ones, today, and I think I've laid a solid foundation. We shall see how I do ...

The other thing, which I've mentioned here before lately, is that I feel the carryover from my 1-arm pushup has been greater than for any other 1-arm press I've done before, and by a lot, so I'm excited for how this is going to help me stay strong in years to come - nice to not lose anything from my 1-arm kettlebell military press even though I'm not practicing it.

Best of luck to you with it, @Anna C.

-S-

Ok, I just posted this inadvertently in another thread, so let's see if I can get it right this time :p:

I just got back from a few days with no gear, and was able to play around with some bodyweight A+A. Basically an upper body movement for a set of 1-5 (50% rep max or less for that movement), followed by 8-12 seconds of an explosive lower body movement. I did 5 pushups or 5 chair dips combined with 5-7 squat jumps. I think any upper body push or pull would work (OAPUs and pull ups are on my list to experiment with next time), and you could sub broad jumps, bounds, split jumps (thanks @Bro Mo) or very short hill/stair sprints for the squat jumps. The explosive lower body stuff is where most of the benefit comes from, but by pairing it with an upper body movement you end up with a pretty respectable volume for that movement. Figure 15-30 repeats for most sessions, which could take 20-50 minutes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom