all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training as a Master (old guy) for the TSC

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

banzaiengr

Level 6 Valued Member
What would be a good program for year round training to compete in the TSC as a master? I know Dereck and @Ryan Toshner have had great success with a snatch based program. Personally I like the snatch protocols that Al Ciampa has out here.

So, do you just snatch? Or, should one add some deadlifts into the mix? Maybe DL for a six week period along with the snatch and then 6 weeks off.

I'm not worried about the pull ups, although my numbers suck. But if one gets stronger and leaner that should take care of itself. Thanks in advance.

I would take my cues from the programs you described. They suggest that you need some deadlifts and pullups but you don't need a lot and you don't need them all the time if you base your training on the snatch.

-S-

I would take my cues from the programs you described. They suggest that you need some deadlifts and pullups but you don't need a lot and you don't need them all the time if you base your training on the snatch.

-S-

Snatches and the 6 weeks on/off of DL's?

For the last TSC, I actually deadlifted twice/week (Surovetsky... Google it, and go from there). After each session, I did 2KB Swings 10x10, S&S style rest periods. One other day, I'd do some other "random" training (i.e. get-ups and a few goblet squats to keep me healthy plus a few pull-ups), and I'd spend an hour or so rock climbing roughly once/week. That's about it. (Derek is much more the "snatcher".)

Based on what I've learned from myself and my students, I'd suggest something along the lines of:
  • 1-month (post-TSC): Have fun. Do something different. Work on fixing your imbalances (TSC is a lot of pulling, so perhaps squat & press).
  • 2-3 months:
    • Pick a program to get stronger. Stick with it. Anything (legit) will do, really.
    • Once/week, do heavy swings. 10x10 is solid.
    • Once-to-twice/week, do something "fun" for conditioning... BJJ is my personal preference. You might like easy jogging, mountain biking, or lighter swings/snatches.
  • 2 months (TSC prep):
    • Deadlift... "Lock" everything down... Lats, grip, abs. i.e. Practice tension.
    • Heavy Swings. 10x10. Twice/week.
    • GTG pull-ups on off days. Take time off from this without worry if you're feeling particularly tired, sore, etc.
    • Occasional snatch technique practice if you need it. "Practice" is key. If you need "more" practice, swap one of the swing days above with a session of heavy(ier), low-rep snatches. At the TSC, your conditioning will be fine... Plus snatching a lighter-than-training bell will feel easy enough to be able to suck up any discomfort you'll be feeling for five minutes. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom