all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training as we age

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I base all my barbell lifting percentages on 90% of my 1RM or my 'training max'. I learned this from the outstanding 'Tactical Barbell' and Wendler's 5/3/1 has the same approach.
I confess this is completely lost on me. If you can lift 100 kg, and a program calls for 90% 1RM, that's 90 kg. If you do 90% of 90kg, then that's 81 kg or 81% of 1RM. So why not just find a program that calls for 81% of 1RM in that situation?

-S-

What is the best way to deal with the mental aspect with coming to terms with having to use lower kettlebell weights as one gets older? Should one attempt to give the heavier weight you were able to lift years ago another try, or is the possibility for injury just not worth it?

That depends on what weights you could move when you were younger.

Currently I'm very close to my all time best numbers on most of my isolation type and accessory work. I am doubtful I could get back to my weights on the big lifts like bench, squat, Dl, but I may never find out as I train at home with no barbells. I'll bet I could get darn close.

Work up to your weights, own them for multiple reps, stay away from unknowns, or what you aught be able to do "on paper" or according to a repmax chart.

Even with all the stuff I have going on, I feel pretty darn strong and still plan on increasing loads...slowly.

I confess this is completely lost on me. If you can lift 100 kg, and a program calls for 90% 1RM, that's 90 kg. If you do 90% of 90kg, then that's 81 kg or 81% of 1RM. So why not just find a program that calls for 81% of 1RM in that situation?

-S-

@Steve Freides think this is a clever tactic used by 'remote' coaches to take away the nonsense most people do, for example a 90% lift for most people is

* not a best ever from the past lift that required peaking for
*not a lift with questionable form
*not a psyched up lift
*not a one off out of the blue lift as the stars aligned

If your experienced and have honest feedback from coach/colleague then using a true max is probably more reasonable, but someone whose just bought a book and tested their own maxes tend to push past their true max. As such people like wendler cut through the nonsense by taking off 10% to find something more akin to their true max.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's what i've always interpretated this technique for

The trick to aging is to focus on what you can do, not on what you used to do.

I’m 65, and am stronger than ever. In my 40s and 50s, I would use a pair of 24 KGs for long cycle Cleans and Presses, and now I use pairs of 28s or 32s. I’m doing more now in Trap Bar Deads, Pull/Chin Ups, Dips, Ring Push Ups, and a few other exercises than I was during my 20s, 30s, and 40s. No diseases, no injuries, no meds, no aches and pains.

I don’t know what I’m doing right, but I’m very grateful.

Since we all know that these bodies of ours aren’t intended to last forever, the trick is to be happy with the capabilities we have today.

Turned 41 in April and I have altered the way I train pretty much in line with current SF principles.
I gravitate towards kettlebells for most of the year. Whilst the barbell is a fantastic tool I find it leads me to chase numbers and “ego lift”. With the kettlebell I tend to focus on technique and force production.
The strong endurance approach is a great fit. I see lots of younger men still addicted to thrashing themselves with met con type activities. In terms of Aerobic activities I swim or run once or twice a week. If it’s running it’s MAF based. Mobility wise I tend to use OS. Train smart not hard all the time would probably be a good way to sum it up.
As they say your health is your wealth.

I turned 41 in August and didn't notice. Yet I pulled a PR of 405lbs on my conventional deadlift and definitely noticed. I'm also finishing up a cycle of the deadlift singles program and plan to set a new PR :)

I would think that you already have the strength part down Mark! :)

For the rest I think fasting has a big role to play when it comes down to slowing down the aging process, and in a few cases even reverse it (cellular repair, ...).

I just recently lost my mom, and seeing her in the last few years was a stark reminder to never stop moving. I think variety is the spice of life when it comes to improve movement quality. Our bodies allow for complex movements and we should explore different modalities to work them, and not fall into into a trap of limiting oneself to a specific set of movements.

My acronym recipe is as follows: OS+ES+MAF+MA.

Original Strength, mixed with some other mobility and flexibility work.

Easy Strength, slightly tweaked (done as Strength Aerobics) to meet my needs.

Maffetone Running.

Martial Arts.

ALL of them done using a permanent Park Bench mode.

Don't come to terms with getting older(y).

It's just a number.
Pretty much all of the above suggestions AND at a couple months shy of 70, I have to say age is more than "just a number". Body slam off bicycle at age 20 injury for same impact much less and recovery much faster. Elasticity and recuperation tend to fade. Not a huge deal, I feel overall healthier and stronger than ever in my life. But past a certain point, age does need to be factored in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom