all posts post new thread

Barbell Training back and legs only (please read and feedback)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Warzone2022

Level 3 Valued Member
Went to doctors, looks like surgery is on the books for both arms eventually.

Doctor says it's looks like from the x-rays and ultrasound it's cubital tunnel syndrome with ulnar nerve sublaxtion (snapping tricep) so it will need to be re-routed.

As for exercise I can't do any pushing work, so it's looking like I'm stuck with this for awhile

Squat (wide grip minimal elbow use)
Deadlift
Neutral grip narrow chins
Hammer curls
Swings
Possibly pushups

My only options are for exercises;

Monday - squats and cardio
Tuesday - neutral grip pull-ups and cardio
Wednesday - swings/hammer curls and cardio
Thursday - pushups & cardio
Friday - deadlift & cardio
Saturday - 10 mile hike (hide from Boris lol)

Just now concerned that with all the pulling work I'll have imbalance injuries like you can get when you do too much pushing.

Just hard to lose the balance of push pull legs, now it's basically pull and legs lol, I'm sure there will be benefits from doing this, and I'm sure my pulling and leg strength will go through the roof.

Just never heard of anyone getting hurt by being pulling dominant?

Thankyou in advance

Went to doctors, looks like surgery is on the books for both arms eventually.

Doctor says it's looks like from the x-rays and ultrasound it's cubital tunnel syndrome with ulnar nerve sublaxtion (snapping tricep) so it will need to be re-routed.

As for exercise I can't do any pushing work, so it's looking like I'm stuck with this for awhile

Squat (wide grip minimal elbow use)
Deadlift
Neutral grip narrow chins
Hammer curls
Swings
Possibly pushups

My only options are for exercises;

Monday - squats and cardio
Tuesday - neutral grip pull-ups and cardio
Wednesday - swings/hammer curls and cardio
Thursday - pushups & cardio
Friday - deadlift & cardio

Just now concerned that with all the pulling work I'll have imbalance injuries like you can get when you do too much pushing.

Just hard to lose the balance of push pull legs, now it's basically pull and legs lol, I'm sure there will be benefits from doing this, and I'm sure my pulling and leg strength will go through the roof.

Just never heard of anyone getting hurt by being pulling dominant?

Thankyou in advance
I've had several elbow surgeries over the years and found that sled drags with a harness really hit the spot. Training is fine but try and remember that your body is healing. Lunges should be ok but for the first few weeks after surgery I would just walk and enjoy recovery. Walking will get your endorphins up and promote healing. Best of luck with your surgery!

I've had several elbow surgeries over the years and found that sled drags with a harness really hit the spot. Training is fine but try and remember that your body is healing. Lunges should be ok but for the first few weeks after surgery I would just walk and enjoy recovery. Walking will get your endorphins up and promote healing. Best of luck with your surgery!
Thankyou Shawn, would doing pulling exercises and legs/cardio only cause me problems down the line or would it actually benefit me as the NHS in UK is pretty slow with these things lol

Do push-ups not bother you (you have them listed)?

I agree w. Shawn - make sure you're giving your body time and rest to heal. I think if you are vigilant, you're going to know before imbalances start to become a real problem.

Thankyou Shawn, would doing pulling exercises and legs/cardio only cause me problems down the line or would it actually benefit me as the NHS in UK is pretty slow with these things lol
You should be ok with pulling movements. The problem with squats is you need your elbows to really support the bar properly. I would do all my pulling movements single armed, uses less weight and you really have to focus on form. Unsupported Kroc rows are great for this as they are unsupported and done for high reps. Step ups and lunges with a weighted vest or a loaded back pack for a decent amount of reps will get the job done for your legs and core as well.

My chin/pull up also works the tricep.

If you have access to Safety bar then safety-bar squat is great option. Else back squat with wide grip, focus on depth and explosive (not weight) could keep you strong.
Good morning is another good option.

Edit: I forget about midsection work. I believe many abs exercise is not heavy involved the triceps.

Last edited:
Wishes for best recovery! Most of the time, I’d say no too much back and leg work would never be bad. Although you “should” have a press, I don’t think it would hurt for this short time.

Be wary of your biceps becoming too tight though from lack of elbow extension, as this could be bad news for deadlifts if you can’t straighten your arm completely. If you have a band, you might try doing lighter band work in some suitable fashion. Isometrics (were you find a position that doesn’t aggravate” may help as well. Pushing against an immobile object allows you to manipulate your joint angles and apply pressure but go easy. Recovery of the area is most important.

Sled pushes or even just pushup planks mat fill in the gap. Whatever doesn’t hurt works.

As someone who is serving currently in the British military and knows the NHS I feel for you current situation.

The NHS is not exactly at the forefront when it comes to...well...anything really.

I think you can double up a lot of the movements so you can hit certain movements more frequently.

Monday - SSB squats, deadlifts and cardio
Tuesday - neutral grip pull-ups, hammer curls and cardio
Wednesday - swings and cardio
Thursday - SSB squats, deadlifts and cardio
Friday - neutral grip pull ups, hammer curls and cardio

This will allow you more skills practice with your lifts of choice and more opportunities to progress. I don't know what you plan to do in regards to "cardio" however I think swings would be great here. Depending on your fitness levels maybe a litvinov session twice a week at a nearby hill.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom