all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training crossroads

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

acrein

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all

I've been doing S&S by the book for the last 22 weeks. I started with 2H swings with the 24 and TGUs with the 16. I'm currently doing 1H swings and TGUs with the 24kg bell, and feel like I'm pretty much owning it. I have a few more weeks at this step level.

I don't currently own or have access to a 32kg bell, and so am trying to decided if I should

1) Buy a 32kg bell and continue on to simple
or
2) Move to ROP, where I would anticipate doing C&P and Snatch with the 16, and swings with the 24. I would be interested in also laddering pull-ups into the ROP

I'm 50, with a long training history. I did ETK/ROP from 2011-2013, progressing from PM to ROP with the 16 during that time. Since then, I've done a variety of training, including Body By Science style HIT and, more recently, calisthenics.

My goals are:

a) injury prevention
b) strength and mobility
c) aesthetics

In addition to S&S, I walk every day (try to hit 10,000 steps), and have a gentle daily yoga practice.

At this point, I would most like to see:

a) some hypertrophy in my shoulders, back, and arms (hence my interest in ROP)
b) continued strength building
c) continued conditioning

Please note that, due to constraints of equipment, time, etc., I'm currently only considering option 1 or option 2 above.

Thanks!

For a) ROP

For b) ROP, especially with the addition of pullups.

For c) Both, but my preference is S&S for the number of swings, done 3-6 times per week.

I
Hi all

I've been doing S&S by the book for the last 22 weeks. I started with 2H swings with the 24 and TGUs with the 16. I'm currently doing 1H swings and TGUs with the 24kg bell, and feel like I'm pretty much owning it. I have a few more weeks at this step level.

I don't currently own or have access to a 32kg bell, and so am trying to decided if I should

1) Buy a 32kg bell and continue on to simple
or
2) Move to ROP, where I would anticipate doing C&P and Snatch with the 16, and swings with the 24. I would be interested in also laddering pull-ups into the ROP

I'm 50, with a long training history. I did ETK/ROP from 2011-2013, progressing from PM to ROP with the 16 during that time. Since then, I've done a variety of training, including Body By Science style HIT and, more recently, calisthenics.

My goals are:

a) injury prevention
b) strength and mobility
c) aesthetics

In addition to S&S, I walk every day (try to hit 10,000 steps), and have a gentle daily yoga practice.

Please note that, due to constraints of equipment, time, etc., I'm currently only considering option 1 or option 2 above.

Thanks!
I think you'll enjoy getting your hands on the 32 kg.
I had some hypertrophy achieving Simple but S&S was much more enjoyable once I started using the 32 kg.
I think having the 32 kg will allow you to get more out of ROP as well in terms of heavy swing days.

I

I think you'll enjoy getting your hands on the 32 kg.
I had some hypertrophy achieving Simple but S&S was much more enjoyable once I started using the 32 kg.
I think having the 32 kg will allow you to get more out of ROP as well in terms of heavy swing days.
I'm curious why you found S&S more enjoyable with the 32? Was it simply that you were working at a higher capacity due to the heavier weight and enjoyed that?

I know it's often said that the real "magic" from S&S starts at 32, so I'm definitely intrigued.

Thanks!

I'm curious why you found S&S more enjoyable with the 32? Was it simply that you were working at a higher capacity due to the heavier weight and enjoyed that?

I know it's often said that the real "magic" from S&S starts at 32, so I'm definitely intrigued.

Thanks!
I'd been doing S&S for a couple of years in and around some barbell work at my municipal gym where the heaviest kettlebell was 24 kg.
Then COVID hit and I got a 32 kg last summer.
I suppose I'd missed lifting some heavier weights during the first few months of the lockdown.
But getting my first TGU with the 32 kg made me grin like a Cheshire Cat.
With ROP you start with the same C&P weight, say 24 kg for example. You progress by adding more reps and sets but the load is constant.
With the step cycles in S&S you slowly replace the 24 kg with the 32 kg over around 16 weeks. You go from easy 24 kg session at start to a challenging 32 kg session at Timeless Simple. It felt more of an accomplishment than a bit more beef on my shoulders, which feels a bit more subjective as an achievement. Or at least it did to me last year during the pandemic.

Thanks!
I noticed for S&S Hypertrophy in the areas you mention when I started using 32kg.

Until you can get the 32kg, work eccentrics with 24kg (will have to be 2hsw) and/or increase the number of repeats (but keep the reps to 10). Also, you can do pressing within your GUs a couple times per week.

Your Multipurpose Strength Tool (aka the Get-up)

And the answer is you should always buy more bells… :)

I'm curious why you found S&S more enjoyable with the 32?
I agree that the 32 has felt like magic for me. I'm 235lbs 5'10'' stout guy with a long torso and shorter legs and arms than some. I only recently confirmed simple, using other means to get there due to some of life's less reasonable demands.

two thoughts come to mind ...

1. the amount of loading I can control at the bottom of the swing using Overspeed eccentrics getting my lats to add influence to the bell - is a thing to behold. I have had to pry my fingers open after a set of ten swings and have been able to enjoy a very intense amount of work, using the 32. it's a different world than the 24, which I owned after 6 months of waiting to get a 32kg bell.

2. the get-up is a different thing for me with the 32kg bell. honestly - I did not notice my abs in the get-up till the 32 came along. and I notice big time, in the first step to the elbow.

this may not be the case for everyone; but for me, taking 8 kg jumps in bell size - the 24 - 32kg jump is the biggest feeling. The truth is I can swing a 48k bell now to shoulder height, and yes it does take a lot out of me. but the 32, 40, and 48kg bells all seem to be of a kind. iron birds of a feather who flock together. and the 16 and 24 kg bells seem to be outside of that world to me.

2. the get-up is a different thing for me with the 32kg bell. honestly - I did not notice my abs in the get-up till the 32 came along. and I notice big time, in the first step to the elbow.
^^this. A great gauge of abdominal bracing and activation is the ability to keep the down leg straight driving down and through both that heel as well as the heel of your bent leg.

Great stuff man!

I took a break from S&S and did the 10,000 swing challenge. I don't know if that was a good or bad thing?.
So whilst it's good perhaps to take a break from it, not sure ROP is the right one. It's a 12 weeker. But it's great, currently doing it and really appreciating the light days.
Maybe take a break and do the big 6 or practice something else for bit for 4-6 weeks before buying the 32 kg.
Buying the 32 is the correct answer.

This is my 3rd. Once before simple, twice since. Being acquainted with the 32 helps. It's not mandatory but gives you the heavy heavy day and options. Wouldn't discourage you doing what is a great classic programme. S&S is easier though....so there's that.

(Subliminal hidden message: buy the 32)

I took a break from S&S and did the 10,000 swing challenge. I don't know if that was a good or bad thing?.
So whilst it's good perhaps to take a break from it, not sure ROP is the right one. It's a 12 weeker. But it's great, currently doing it and really appreciating the light days.
Maybe take a break and do the big 6 or practice something else for bit for 4-6 weeks before buying the 32 kg.
Buying the 32 is the correct answer.

This is my 3rd. Once before simple, twice since. Being acquainted with the 32 helps. It's not mandatory but gives you the heavy heavy day and options. Wouldn't discourage you doing what is a great classic programme. S&S is easier though....so there's that.

(Subliminal hidden message: buy the 32)
I joke that I collect kettlebells the way some people collect guitars, except I use them.

32kg arrived today. Will be starting to very slowly incorporate it into my S&S practice. Today, I just did a few sets of deadlifts with it as part of my warmup.

Oh, and I got it up to my apartment from the lobby. That was its own workout.

32kg arrived today. Will be starting to very slowly incorporate it into my S&S practice. Today, I just did a few sets of deadlifts with it as part of my warmup.

Oh, and I got it up to my apartment from the lobby. That was its own workout.
I remember about 13 years ago when mine was delivered to my apartment. The delivery woman wasn’t overly impressed. She had a few wtf’s is this for me at the door. Lol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom