all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training for Longevity

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Slow tempo is not the only way to drive tension.

The evidence we have now is that hypertrophy mechanisms that were thought to be metabolite driven, are just ways to get to tension.

And tension leads to hypertrophy.
Maybe it is tension + metabolites … ? If we do singles, we have the tension but the hypertrophy will no be much if any?

Maybe it is tension + metabolites … ? If we do singles, we have the tension but the hypertrophy will no be much if any?

Maybe.

But the other possibility that has been suggested is that the tension in singles is too transient for the mechano-sensors to register it as a stimulus that they need to build muscles in response to.

Last edited:
In practice, I don't ignore it at all, given that I do BFR or other 'pump work' from time to time.

But if someone asks me me if metabolites themselves are prime drivers of hypertrophy (as was the theory proposed for "pump work" for a long time), I have to say I'm not so sure about that.
I’d agree with that as well. Tension is a biggie, something is needed to make the system receptive to change, and metabolites can be generated aplenty at very low tension.

And then in a well conditioned muscle, some occasional damage might be in order. Interesting that of late the actual frequency of this occuring is understood to be uncommon. My teen’s PE coach still speaks of muscle damage as though it happens all the time.

Run a session out until you fail or come close to failing one of your singles and you will definitely get bigger.

My stock response to this is if tension was everything, isometrics would rule the roost for hypertrophy. And it CAN work but only if some way of triggering metabolic stress is used in conjunction.

There still seems to be a lot of residual belief that:

Resistance training => damages muscle => repairs bigger / stronger
That is easy to describe, understand, visualize, teach so I believe we will never see that fades away.

Especially when you say “the exact dynamics underlying is yet to be discovered but …” you loose the audience most of the time… cause there is always a guy who explains it clearly. Damage, repair…

That is easy to describe, understand, visualize, teach so I believe we will never see that fades away.

Especially when you say “the exact dynamics underlying is yet to be discovered but …” you loose the audience most of the time… cause there is always a guy who explains it clearly. Damage, repair…

witch-trial2.png

Back
Top Bottom