all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training for military and elite fitness

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ok. I`m at the moment 22 yo and 5`10" / 155lbs.

I did today 2mins run/ 3 mins walk for 30 mins on boots with nasal breathing. HR wawed from 115 to 165 back and forth.

I liked the "Painless path to endurance" article from pavel. Too bad it didn`t include any specific routine. What do you think about that article/story?

Simon, could you define what you mean by building base?

I think that method is a good way to build up running, while still being able to focus on other goals. For a more laid out plan, check out this article: http://www.strongfirst.com/the-strength-to-run/ it provides a week by week strategy for building up mileage, and is low enough volume that it will have a minimal effect on your lifting.

My guess is what Simon meant by building a base is that you have time to start slowly with some short, easy runs and build up the mileage/intensity. When training this far out you don't have much need for adding in intervals and speed work until you have the proper base mileage under your belt.

I don't know much about his general methods, but that looks pretty solid, especially because you have a while to work into it.

froglicker, it would have been better to split up such a question into many.

If you are not seeing running improvement from kettlebell snatches, you are probably going too light.

To gain most strength multiple non-exhaustive strength sessions every day are recommended.

I bought S&S anyway. Definately worth the money. IMO even just paragraph about John Faas was worth the price.

I'm now wondering: I'm 1 year out from selection. Would it be clever to build the needed base with just

Day1 s&s + weighted pullups

Day2 easy endurance, (run, swim or ruck)

Day3 repeat, rest day when needed

And then maybe two months before selections gtg pushups and other specific test practices.

Pavel, would that be right or have I understood your teachings wrong?

Depends which selection you're training for. I can only speak for BUD/S, in which case I would focus only on what you will actually be doing in BUD/S: running, swimming, calisthenics. I wouldn't recommend the CFE approach only because it hasn't been testedforthis particular selection. In all honesty, I like CFE and I do it (for the simple fact that after BUD/S the thought of long runs made me vomit a little bit) but the fact that the workouts areshortmeans you will not have a wide enough base. Again, this is all BUD/S oriented. If it's SF selection, I don't know, maybe lifting heavy things is more accurately tailored for that pipeline. Bottom line: train for what you will be doing.

Even if I have full year to train, should I do only calisthenics, runs and rucks, because they are the selection tests?

Why is then s&s told to be so good for operators?

I think by "train for what you will be doing" he means for testing, and for what you need in the field. S&S will improve your grip, your lungs and make your shoulders/hamstrings bulletproof. That's pretty useful for any profession, but I imagine super helpful for anyone in the law enforcement or military. I think your proposed plan looks like a great way to build the base fitness and strength you'll need.

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff, did you make it through buds? It would be also great to hear more about that time on there :)

Andy, do you have military or leo background?

Yes, I went through BUD/S in 2001--started off in 234, got a femoral stress fracture and subsequently rolled back wednesday morning of Hell Week, and graduated with 236. Spent 13 years in the Teams. As far as training prior to selection, I love KB's. In fact, Pavel has come to our command quite a few times as well as trained a buddy of mine for BUD/S who has since passed. However, personally, I believe in training for how you're going to fight and in this case you "fight" is selection, in which case I recommend establishing a solid enough base for the exercises you'll be doing in selection. The wider the base (think of a pyramid), the stronger it stands. If you have a year to go, you're not going to like hearing this but I suggest stretching to the point of full range of motion in your shoulders, hips, quads, lower back, and hamstrings. It took me a while to learn this but when you have full range of motion you don't "break." THEN you start training. Just my two cents. Best of luck.

@rigor mortis There is a huge difference between a trainee and a operator. I have known guys to train for over a year to get a shot at passing selection. I have known guys who have done the training, get injured, and then have to start all over again. I agree with Jeff Ross 100% train for what you are going to face. You can always supplement S*S with any training you do. Use TGU as part of your warmup and use the swings as part of your training. Warmup thrown your kb in a ruck hit the trail. At the turn around point crank out your 1oo swings return. Put in on one end of the pool and swim/ swing or run /swing. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Agree totally with Jeff and Matt (and thanks to you (both?) for your service.  You're not in training for the job. You're in training  to get to start training for the job. Base traing is gpp, so (if you have time) you're getting ready to get ready to get ready. If you have time for that luxury, take advantage of it

It´s great to hear your advice and about your experiences!

Andy, sounds good.

Jeff, 13 years in the Teams, goddamit! So you just got out? I have huge respect for those kind of guys who have made so incredible things and long careers. Thanks, for the prehab advice. Not so nice to hear, but I believe it`s the most intelligent thing now. I´m going to FMS screen on friday. Have you any recommendations for guides to follow, like Relax into strech or Super joints etc.?

Matt, ok. So SAID principle should be used. I just don´t know everything about the selections beforehand, as they want to keep some things surprise.

Simon, yes, I try to figure out plan for "building the base" first.

Thanks for all kind words and support. No, it's not easy getting guys to stretch because stretching just isn't "sexy." There are no quantifiable immediate results like there are with weights/bodyweight reps, and nobody is gonna look any better in a speedo by touching their toes--just more "questionable."

Rigor, as far as stretching goes there are myriad theories on it and I'm not here to promote anything either way. The best advice I would offer is that whatever you choose to do, have a strategy and remain consistent with it. Then--and only then--will you see quantifiable results.

Wow, BUD/S 234 DVD series inspired me to become a kettlebell instructor.

I certainly remember seeing Jeff going through hell week.

Haha! 234 was my first class--got a femoral stress fracture Tuesday night of Hell Week and had to start day 1 week 1 all over again. Much less gray hair back then.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom