all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training for restless legs

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi.

Im suffering to some degrees from restless legs. I read that reduced oxygen levels in the calves seems to correlate with restless legs syndrome. I was curious about how other people train to reduce the symptoms ? I was wondering if one solution was to train the calves in a certain way, maybe with a lot of reps, let us say 100 reps or more, in order to increase capillary density in the calves.

Any thoughts on this ?

Anders

In BB Pavel lays out a routine for training pushups to maximize capillary density. You are supposed to do a certain percentage of your RM at specified intervals throughout the day, with different combination specified for each (I'll post the relevant fragments, hoping it does not constitute copyright infringement). Maybe you could do the same with bodyweight squats, calf raises or some other leg exercise that allows for high reps.

Attachments

• hitthedeck2.png
    hitthedeck2.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 22
  • hitthedeck1.png
    hitthedeck1.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 19
I would suggest considering whether you're getting enough electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium) in your diet and B12. Those can effect restless legs for me particularly potassium and B12. Also being overstressed. May not have anything to do with your situation but those items are simple to gently tweak to see.

Hi.

Im suffering to some degrees from restless legs. I read that reduced oxygen levels in the calves seems to correlate with restless legs syndrome. I was curious about how other people train to reduce the symptoms ? I was wondering if one solution was to train the calves in a certain way, maybe with a lot of reps, let us say 100 reps or more, in order to increase capillary density in the calves.

Any thoughts on this ?

Anders
Maybe take a look from another angle, SIBO and SIFO, book by Dr. William Davis, Super Gut.

See a sleep doctor and have your serum ferritin checked. It’s a blood iron marker and can be low in RLS.

Agreed, have restless legs myself, and now resorted to taking gabapentin nightly for it. OP be aware that your ferritin will likely have to be higher than what is coventionally taught as the upper range. I have not found any specific exercises helpful, but an extremely hot bath (almost scalding) and compression stockings at work helpful.

Good info/webinars (including iron stores in the brain/ferritin issue) and organization here (webinars on youtube under "rls foundation" channel)

Hi, I’d consider something else than direct training of your legs - breathing. I just read Geoff Neupert’s Sore Joint Solution where he discusses how a breathing disorder can affect various issues including electrolyte imbalance, decreased tissue oxidation, muscle fatigue etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom