all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training for Spartan Sprint

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Stu - how did it go with the spartan race? I am considering signing up for a sprint 27th or March. I am currently on the S&S program and just started with 32 kg (3 sets, rest with 24 kg, 1 tgu 32, rest with 24 kg).

Based on your experience, what would you add? Running? Burpees?

Hey man

Unfortunately, 1 week prior to taking part I badly broke my finger and so I wasn't able to do it. I did train for it though and I was feeling pretty confident. I will dig out the routine I created and share it here later.

Go for it, I will probably do it this year although have not yet signed up!

damn i didn't check out the dates on this topic XD

@Oskarand Add pull ups, different kind of (maybe just the fighter pull up program), farmer walks (both will improve your grip as well) and some running (sprint itself aint that hard as it should be around 8kms long) the main point here is recover your HR after each obstacle in order to keep light running to the next one, its not a Marathon, you have enough time to recover, do your stuff, recover and keep running.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum here after reading S&S, ETK, Q&D and ROTK. Looks like this is a great place with a wealth of knowledge and resources sufficient to keep me busy for a long time!!

I have a Spartan Sprint coming up in 5 weeks and wanted to get some feedback on my training plan.

A little background - I'm 35, 182cm, 11%bf, resting HR 52-56. I have been training solidly for the past 2 years mainly focussing on Calisthenics (strength focus rather than skill). For the past 6 weeks I have been running S&S and I'm just about to start adding in some 32kg sets on both the swing and get up. For the past month, I have also been doing 3-4 LSS runs per week at 50-70% MHR for mixed durations of 30 - 60 mins.

With only 5 weeks remaining, I figure I should really start to focus my training a little, it's only the sprint race but regardless, I would like to do my best effort and I have a pretty strong competitive streak. Here is my plan, taken from various sources including threads and articles here on SF. Open to suggestions on tweaking based on people's experience.

I will run the following two circuits once each per week:

Circuit A (3-5) rounds
5 x Double Clean and Push Press (re clean each rep)
10 x Heavy Swings (2H)
5-8 x Explosive Pullups
1 x TGU per side
10 x Goblet Sq
60s Sandbag Carry

Grip Finisher - Hang for 30s then 1 pullup, repeat until I can't

Circuit B (3-5) rounds
5 x C&P R then L
10 x Swings R then L
10 x Towel Pullups
10 x Power Pushups
60s on Monkey Bars
60s Farmers Walk

Crawling for 3 to 5 mins

Schedule:
Mon - Circuit A
Tue - LSS fun run - 3 mile slow jog with kettlebell in rucksack. Every 7 min alternate between auto clicker Swings, Burpees and Pushups
Wed - 100 Swings & 10 TGUs S&S style
Thu - Circuit B
Fri - Fast Tempo Run - 5k @ 80-85% HR
Sat - 100 Swings and 10 TGUs S&S style
Sun Rest

I will also be running 3-4 mobility roblox music codes sessions throughout each week.

Thoughts welcome.

Stu

I would do more running, and spotlight on a portion of the aptitude driven occasions like rope climbing, and old fashioned lance throw...I know a few people that train burpees... exercise in futility as I would see it. Train to prevail in the deterrents so you won't need to do a solitary punishment burpee.

Last edited:
Hello,

Burpees by themselves are not a bad conditionning tool. If one uses them with a good protocol, they can be quite interesting. EMOM may be a good example.

I guess they can not really be performed instead of running, however, they can make you a better runner if you already run, or maintain (at least for a while) your running abilities.

Below is a video of Joe De Sena. When he performed 600 burpees a day (without any kind of running or other training), he performed well on a race:

Here may be another "guideline":

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've mentioned this before...

No disagreement that burpees are excellent as a 'conditioning ' tool. (And no disrespect to Mr. De Sena)

But with respect to Spartan events... they are used as penalty for failing an obstacle. Who wants to fail? Raise your hand. From a purely mental (well maybe philosophical as well...) aspect I think a person is setting the stage for failure (or at least the expectation)

Why not train using highly valuable training time and effort to pass every obstacle and have a fast time. If a person is that fit even if they do fail an obstacle, a few (well maybe 30) burpees should be easy.

That being said... the last Spartan Super I did (full disclosure... I did train burpees!) I failed 3 obstacles out of 25.
I would have been better off (or at least no worse off) if I hadn't trained burpees, and got better at some skills.

Just my opinion

Just to update you guys. The event was cancelled due to Corona virus. Hopefully I will be able to do one later this year.

How much practice for the obstacles do you get??

The familiarity is a big factor.

A student of mine simply does a combo of swings, getups, goblet squats and renegade rows.. he mentioned it helped him recover quicker between obstacles (he's done the beast and super, eyeing ultra in the year)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom