all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Training goals and motivations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
So some short background:

I have spent the last 5 years or so working my butt off in order to be able to teach at a primarily bodyweight and calisthenics gym here in Denver Colorado. Sadly, because of covid regulations, we were not able to keep enough students to keep running, and the gym had to permanently close. Some friends of mine had started their own gym to teach the same kinds of things. They had reached out to me to possibly teach there since I now did not have a place to teach; but now they, too, have had to close their physical location (I believe they are still running online/zoom classes though).

After hearing the news of the second gym closing, it got me thinking. Since being in quarantine, and barely teaching anyone in person, I felt the "need" to become very proficient subside, and I began branching out into more kettlebell training. I have often found myself feeling anxious about "the right training plan" because I felt this overwhelming need to get really strong and have big muscles or whatever. To be honest, I still have those thoughts, but I'm questioning why.

The lack of a place to teach has ultimately left me in a position where I am questioning what my goals really are, why I desire them, and how I can create healthy goals driven by healthy motivations. These questions are becoming more important to me as I get closer to turning 40 (I am 37 right now).

Why do I want some advanced bodyweight skill? Why do I care about putting a heavy kettlebell over my head someday? I still want these things, but. . .why?

To gain some perspective, I thought I would ask here:

What motivates you to train? Rather, I mean what drives you?

Do you like competition? Do you feel the need to feel better about yourself? Are you in the military or law enforcement? If so, how does that affect your training motivation? Are you simply wanting to stay healthy and energetic as you age? WHY do you have the goals you do?

Looking forward to some training philosophy with everyone :)

What drives me is knowing my potential and not living up to it. Self hated mixed with self love in a way. I’ve seen what happens to me when I don’t grind. And it’s not good. Mediocrity and complacency are hard to sit with anymore. (Not saying I never slack but I try to remind myself daily to stay on it)
Also. After years of drug addiction with 90% of my friends dead... how dare I not wake up and KILL it, ya know. I’m still here. Taking advantage of it.

Also I really want to be able to lift heavy stuff and have big muscles :)

What drives me is knowing my potential and not living up to it. Self hated mixed with self love in a way.

This is something I have been more and more interested in the older I get. I often feel like I'm falling behind/short if I'm not constantly doing something to "better myself." Some philosophical thoughts:

If someone hates themselves (or is otherwise unsatisfied with) the way they are, will they ever be satisfied with what they gain? Is there a point at which obsessive "self improvement" becomes an endless pursuit? I am trying to be more focused on training for health and longevity, yet. . .

I have this burning desire to get stronger and it drives me to train way more than I probably should, and I probably would see better gains with less training. I always find myself wanting to train, almost every damn day. I often have to take semi-forced deloads when fatigue starts to set in. So that's why I started this thread. How to stay motivated without being a psycho about it ?

This is something I have been more and more interested in the older I get. I often feel like I'm falling behind/short if I'm not constantly doing something to "better myself." Some philosophical thoughts:

If someone hates themselves (or is otherwise unsatisfied with) the way they are, will they ever be satisfied with what they gain? Is there a point at which obsessive "self improvement" becomes an endless pursuit? I am trying to be more focused on training for health and longevity, yet. . .

I have this burning desire to get stronger and it drives me to train way more than I probably should, and I probably would see better gains with less training. I always find myself wanting to train, almost every damn day. I often have to take semi-forced deloads when fatigue starts to set in. So that's why I started this thread. How to stay motivated without being a psycho about it ?
I can tell you this... I’ve lost 40lbs since starting Simple and Sinister and dialing my diet in... but I’ve got some shoulders and chest again since starting a cycle of ROP... do I feel perfect? No. If I stayed how I look right now forever I’d be satisfied though. The progress was significant. Still gotta keep pushing though

This is a good question, I've been thinking about this too.

In short, this is the way I see it: it's important to move to stay healthy and to feel well. Then, in my experience, the best way to keep moving - if not the only way - is to have goals. Does it make a difference in my life if I can press a 32 kg or a 36 kg kettlebell? Does it make a difference if I can snatch 90 or 100 reps in 5 minutes? It probably doesn't, but training to achieve 100 reps keeps me moving, and moving does make a difference.

I love the exercise I do, lifting weights. I like pushing myself and trying to do better. I don't need discipline or to make sacrifices. I make time for myself to get to do it. This is it, for me.

The health benefits are a nice plus.

The main goal for me is to just enjoy the process, the act itself. I do try to improve, all the time. I evaluate my progress and my programs constantly. However, my enjoyment of the process trumps specific goals. So far, getting stronger has been a lot of fun. At some point, getting stronger may demand too much from me, and I will not be able to do it. Also, at some point age comes into play, and I will just try to enjoy the process and postpone the inevitable. But at any point I will not set myself some arbitrary goals, like I need to deadlift this amount and be happy or such. The only limits will be health and enjoyment.

I am competitive. But at my terms. To the common standards, but trying to improve myself, not so much beat others. It's a part of the process.

I also try to make some living around sports or exercise. But it's not my primary income. So it too is only on my terms. I try to play it to my strengths, instead of trying to fit the standards of others. This, I do too, because I like it.

My motivation has had several changes over the years. It started out as I wanted to meet and maintain certain professional requirements.

If I'm 100% honest, the two main reasons I keep training are habit and mental health. At this point it is part of my identity. The fact that it benefits my physical health is almost more of a positive side effect.

At best I can say my specific why is because I enjoy doing what I do. For me that's enough. Even when it "sucks," I still enjoy the process.

If I'm 100% honest, the two main reasons I keep training are habit and mental health. At this point it is part of my identity. The fact that it benefits my physical health is almost more of a positive side effect.

Same here. I've been competing in weightlifting (when possible), which makes it easier to set specific 'targets' for my training and stops me from 'spinning my wheels' but I try to keep my focus on the process of improving rather than on reaching any specific goals; it doesn't matter if I can't even snatch my bodyweight as long as I'm making improvements.

My motivation has had several changes over the years. It started out as I wanted to meet and maintain certain professional requirements.

At best I can say my specific why is because I enjoy doing what I do. For me that's enough. Even when it "sucks," I still enjoy the process.
Well put...

Functionality. I work blue collar and am generally active. I want my capacity to always run at a surplus.

Aesthetically I expect and demand some minimum standards.

I also have a curiosity re adaptive response that ties in to maybe someday getting certified to do personal training.

I've achieved a level of fitness that is functional and sustainable, within that I try different modes, strategies etc to see what the response is. I want to know what are the available options and how they work, at the least in my case.

Yep this is me, too, almost word for word.

I'd like to say for function, but these days it is pitifully absent -- life with an IT job working at home requires very little in the way of physical capability, and recreation and adventure trips have been put on hold due to COVID and lack of travel. So for lack of those things, these days, at least training enables further training. And that provides mental health, physical health, enjoyment, learning, interaction with others, etc.

Thanks for all the great responses everyone. I like everyone's emphasis on doing what you enjoy; it's a well needed reminder for me.

training to achieve 100 reps keeps me moving, and moving does make a difference.
I've been competing in weightlifting (when possible), which makes it easier to set specific 'targets' for my training and stops me from 'spinning my wheels'

I like that line of thinking! I need some kind of goal if I want to make measurable progress.

The main goal for me is to just enjoy the process, the act itself.

I feel like this is at least part of why I train so often. Now to make it more sustainable. . .

I'd like to say for function, but these days it is pitifully absent -- life with an IT job working at home requires very little in the way of physical capability, and recreation and adventure trips have been put on hold due to COVID and lack of travel. So for lack of those things, these days, at least training enables further training. And that provides mental health, physical health, enjoyment, learning, interaction with others, etc.

I feel you here. . . I am in school and sit in front of a computer almost all day most of the week as well. I have tried setting a timer to get up and do some swings, stretching, etc, but have not gotten consistent with it yet. I am trying to get better at it, though, as it did make a difference in clearing up the accumulating "screen fatigue."

For me it is still a mental struggle to actually start doing my workout and I question my program (S&S with the goal to reach Simple) on a regular basis.

One thing that keeps me going is simply that I feel much better when I get my training done. I sit almost all day. I was in horrible shape when I started and even though I think I could get better results doing something else I definitely know that S&S is something that I can do and still make progress on.

So why become a quitter? (Rhetorical question for myself)

Are you still newer to training? If so I would think that once you start seeing real, tangible results from committing to a program, you may find motivation comes easier.
Yeah. I was very active in my teens being involved in club activities, outdoors and riding my bicycle. No athlete, but in good shape withouthavint to "work out". But after 10+ years of being a couch potatoe I only started exercising as part of my new years resolution. I have made lot's of progress (the 16kg KB was a challenge at the start) and I am not overweight, really weak and tight like I used to be. But like most guys I am a closet bodybuilder who wants chiseled abs, big arms and chest. So doing something 4-6 days a week for months that doesn't pump up my biceps makes me weak from time to time.

But like most guys I am a closet bodybuilder who wants chiseled abs, big arms and chest. So doing something 4-6 days a week for months that doesn't pump up my biceps makes me weak from time to time.

I believe it has been said around here that you must be strong first :)

I am by no means a "Big" guy in terms of my musculature, but I have found the best gains have happened when I became able to lift heavier, both in terms of my calisthenics work and kettlebell work. Think of it this way: you must first be strong enough to lift "moderately heavy." Once you are, then when you do a hypertrophy program you will likely see more dramatic results.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom