all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training Guidance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I appreciate the info, I will have to take the gut check and start going slow and easy. There is a competitive side of me that wants to come out, but seeing that I am new to this, I am all ears and trying to be a sponge to absorb any information.

I have found that 3 days per week of weight lifting, and 3 days per week of endurance work (which can be a combo of running and rucking) is very workable, even at 51 years old. For progression, look at my ruck training guide.
Okay. Any suggestion for preparation for RASP/Green platoon/army special operations? Stick to the same program?

Any suggestion for preparation for RASP/Green platoon/army special operations? Stick to the same program?
If it's working, then yes ;).

Take my response with a grain of salt, as I was never Ranger, SF, or had any super high-speed tabs, patches, etc. If you can get an answer from someone who's been there and done that, that's ideal. All that being said, you will need to run a lot, ruck a lot, and do lots of calisthenics. For all of those things you want to do. And you will have to swim for one or two of them.

I hate to be the guy that says, "you're strong enough" (I mean, we're never really strong enough), but the purpose of strength, in the context of the military, is to keep you free of injury and improve your ability to handle heavy loads. After you're squared away there, it's a matter of being able to do 'the task' for a long, long time. In your case, 'the task' is going to be running, rucking, and calisthenics. It sounds like running and calisthenics are a bit of a weak spot for you (I predict that you will do alright with rucking once you get going, but I could be wrong), so it might be a good idea to bring those up to par while you put rucking and strength training on maintenance.

If it's working, then yes ;).

Take my response with a grain of salt, as I was never Ranger, SF, or had any super high-speed tabs, patches, etc. If you can get an answer from someone who's been there and done that, that's ideal. All that being said, you will need to run a lot, ruck a lot, and do lots of calisthenics. For all of those things you want to do. And you will have to swim for one or two of them.

I hate to be the guy that says, "you're strong enough" (I mean, we're never really strong enough), but the purpose of strength, in the context of the military, is to keep you free of injury and improve your ability to handle heavy loads. After you're squared away there, it's a matter of being able to do 'the task' for a long, long time. In your case, 'the task' is going to be running, rucking, and calisthenics. It sounds like running and calisthenics are a bit of a weak spot for you (I predict that you will do alright with rucking once you get going, but I could be wrong), so it might be a good idea to bring those up to par while you put rucking and strength training on maintenance.

You’re right, rucking I was able to pick up easy. Being taller has a lot to do with my pace too. I will have to start adding miles to my running then.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom