all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

acutaiar12

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi everyone, I hope you’re all having a great start to your weekend!

I have a couple questions today that I’d like to get some outside opinions on. A little backstory on my training right now: I’m doing S&S, I own “timeless 36kg” on both swings and get ups and am working on “timed 36kg”. I can do 10 swings on the minute with 36kg and, by itself, I can complete “timed 36kg” on my get ups.

I’m about to start my senior year of college, so for the next year the heaviest bell I’ll have access to is 36kg. At first, this won’t be an issue as I’ll still spend quite some time working on “timed 36kg”. My first question is, how can I make my “timeless” swings more difficult to build a strength reserve? Is it as simple as being more powerful and/or faster? I’ve thought about adding pauses to my get ups and adding “shadow” swings on my two arm swing days, but the one arm swings I’m not quite sure what to do. (I’d like to stay with 10x10 swings and not add reps or sets)

My second question is, when or if I reach “timed 36kg” during that one-year time frame, what are some ideas of programs I can do for the rest of that period? My long-term goal would be to complete “Sinister”.

An idea I’ve had was to do the Q&D swing protocol and/or the Q&D snatch protocol afterwards with 5x1 get ups on the lighter days. I would love to get some other opinions on the matter.

Thank you!

You can definitely work on both Q&D and S&S alternating between the 2 of them or even at the same time.
Adding a light resistance elastic band to your kettlebell will make swings harder.
You can also go lighter and work on snatches. Not sure how your stanches are but its gonna take some time to develop effective snatching technique. You can alternate those in your Q&D days. Some days snatches some days Swings.
As for the get ups I used to have a heavy-light-medium day of TGU based on the number of reps, with the heaviest weight I was able to handle safely at the time. 10-6-8 total reps per session. I tried to keep my 10 reps on a low volume day of swings or snatches, at least in the beginning.
I would add some sort of carries to the training as well.

You can break your 100 reps into more sets, e.g. 20 sets of 5 or 50 sets of 2. Dead starts are more taxing.
I'd recommend the Kettlebells-StrongFirst course from BJJ Fanatics as this has some variety on the S&S 10x10 principle.

Swing 2- bells? You sound like you are in same spot I was last time I did any G/Us or swings (36 timeless). As my left hand grip strength was the limiter on the one arm swings, i started swinging a pair of 24s. Worked pretty well….

This idea intrigues me. How would I work these into my “timeless” sessions over time? Like one session normal swings, then another session work in dead swings?
I'd probably focus on working the normal sessions, letting the programme work its magic, and save your energy for some post pandemic partying ?
But, yes, you could vary sessions.
In the BJJ course you work up to 40 minutes and ultimately one hour of A+A type swings.

Have you tried doing a set every 30 seconds for a minute then use the talk test as a gauge before doing another round in the same fashion?

Have you tried doing a set every 30 seconds for a minute then use the talk test as a gauge before doing another round in the same fashion?
No, I’ve never tried that. Right now I just do 3 timeless sessions and 1 timed session a week. I’ve kept it pretty standard.

I think most people can get more out of swings than they do. Keep working on being explosive. More, more, and more.
This. They can always be more explosive. Alternating blocks of Q&D and S&S would be a great way to go. Powerful swings and slow TGUs (or higher rep TGUs if needed). You could also run A+A for swings and work up to longer and longer sessions.

I think most people can get more out of swings than they do. Keep working on being explosive. More, more, and more.
I agree. I haven't done a thorough study on myself, but the few times I've worn a heart rate monitor while performing swings, my heart rate isn't much lower with a lighter weight.

-S-

Thank you all for your responses. I’m definitely going to spend this year really working on owning the 36kg bell.

For swings, I’m going to keep focusing on more and more power and for get ups, I’ll continue adding pauses at each stage. Obviously I’ll also work on reducing rest periods on my “Die but Do” training sessions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom