all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training in bare feet...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Oh bummer! Did you go on?

I've trained barefoot for several years and only had one related injury - I embedded a small shard of glass in the ball of my foot. No fun.

Oh bummer! Did you go on?

I've trained barefoot for several years and only had one related injury - I embedded a small shard of glass in the ball of my foot. No fun.

I had to! :mad:

I have a long, and ugly relationship with yellowjackets, an understanding if you will...

I've been terrified of bees my whole life. Hadn't been stung for probably 25 years (34 y/o). Got stung right in the neck by a scary looking wasp a few months ago.

Nothing really happened, little swelling. Put some apple cider vinegar on it. Not nearly as scared anymore.

I love training in bare feet........indoors! I think I have more power in swings and getups when I do. And, I am "blessed" with several mature oak trees so right now my yard is still a pebbley mess anyway despite going out and cleaning up.

I am pretty scared of wasps and bees, I have gotten to the point being around the fuzzy bumblebees in my garden is tolerable, but wasps....they are the a $$hole of the insect world lol! I freak out when they get around my head or ears and especially behind me, hearing them buzz. I just got stung for the first time in my life a few weeks ago..! I brushed it away from the back of my head area, felt what I thought was the start of a mosquito bite on top between my ear and shoulder, then the pain hit. Went inside and saw a white welt and knew it was a sting. Actually, pain was not as bad as I feared.

Between the toes though...CRINGED when I read this. Good for you for soldiering on! Those sets and reps must be done!

I've been terrified of bees my whole life. Hadn't been stung for probably 25 years (34 y/o). Got stung right in the neck by a scary looking wasp a few months ago.

Nothing really happened, little swelling. Put some apple cider vinegar on it. Not nearly as scared anymore.

I got into last Summer with an entire nest of yellowjackets - over a dozen stings from my ankles to my face, and who knows how many the dog got - he slept a lot for a couple of days.
I also once put my foot into a nest of ground hornets - again over dozen and my leg swelled up for days.

A single bee sting is almost therapeutic, no acetylcholine.

A single bee sting is almost therapeutic
The chinese have used bee stings to treat various ailments since like forever and it's getting more and more common in the western world aswell.

Sorry, but I'm a bit amused by @MattM 's and @crazycanuck 's fear of bees. Fully grown man and woman who both throw around huge chunks of iron, but a little friendly bugger strikes fear into their hearts :)
I used to catch bees with my bare hands as a child to observe them and never got stung by one. In fact at 29 years old the only insects that ever bit or stung me are mosquitos.
We don't have killer bees over here, though. I wouldn't catch those...

The chinese have used bee stings to treat various ailments since like forever and it's getting more and more common in the western world aswell.

Sorry, but I'm a bit amused by @MattM 's and @crazycanuck 's fear of bees. Fully grown man and woman who both throw around huge chunks of iron, but a little friendly bugger strikes fear into their hearts :)
I used to catch bees with my bare hands as a child to observe them and never got stung by one. In fact at 29 years old the only insects that ever bit or stung me are mosquitos.
We don't have killer bees over here, though. I wouldn't catch those...

In a moment of misplaced altruism I once rescued a drone ant from a pool, not sure what kind. Sumbatch immediately bit me right smack in the center of my palm and it hurt/itched like mad for days - this was no big critter, about the size of a long grain rice.

I also got nailed by a yellowjacket once taking a ride on a restored electric trolley at a transportation museum. Came out of the seat or interior cladding - I don't know - came out of nowhere. Got me right on the outer edge of my ear, swelled up, hurt up. It hasn't been the same shape since - I am not kidding.

Bees are A OK by me. Their sting is almost medicinal. Hornets and yellowjackets - that acetylcholine is just plain nasty.

I have a long relationship with those critters - they sting me, and I carry on with dignity while trying not to channel my inner 9 year old. Kill a bee and other members of the hive attack - get clear. Kill a YJ and members of other hives will attack. You aren't safe till you take a shower.

I always train barefooted (S&S) but I always train indoors. Even when I was doing Wendler 5/3/1 at the gym I did deadlifts and backsquats barefooted. Always got strange looks and some would come up and ask me about it. The most common response I would get was "it looks like you're grabbing the floor with your toes.....doesn't that hurt?" Uh no, it actually feels good. I originally bought some lifting shoes but forgot them one day and decided to lift barefooted. It felt great, more stabile, and I never went back to shoes again.

I also prefer to train barefoot or with my Earth Runner sandals. In the gym, unfortunately shoes are required. In the summer where I train calisthenics outdoors usually becomes a wasp hang-out. So far (in 2.5 years) I've only been stung once --totally unprovoked, if I may add.

A few years back going on a hike with some buddies, one of us discovered a ground hornets' nest about 5 min into the hike. I got stung in the lip and the eyebrow (any several other places) leaving me with a raised eyebrow-look of skepticism and a lip like a botox injection gone horribly wrong.

Bees are A OK by me. Their sting is almost medicinal. Hornets and yellowjackets - that acetylcholine is just plain nasty.
Agreed.

From the Phoenix New Times: AUGUST 23, 2010 | 2:32PM

Robert Mackley was counting the number of bee-sting marks on his hand the other day, just to help the time go by.

He got to 90 on one hand, before he got to the wrist.

The 26-year-old Tucson rock climber is still recuperating from a nightmare-inspiring, August 10 attack by killer bees on Mt. Lemmon. He says he was stung about 1,500 times while fixed in place at the top of a popular climbing route.

"I was hoping to get back to work this week," says Mackley, who works as a carpenter when he's not out scaling cliffs. "I don't think that's going to be possible. I'm still pretty weak."

Last week, following news reports that contained sketchy details about what happened -- including one TV news blurb which claimed equipment failure was to blame of the calamity.

"I'm still covered in bee stings," Mackley says, adding that the stings are like open wounds or embedded cactus needles. The hospital staff tweezed as many as they could.

"Some they pulled out by putting, like, Elmer's Glue on my skin, letting it dry, then peeling it off," he says.

Mackley, his girlfriend, their young child and their two friends, Nick and Jim, had decided to attack an old favorite of Mackley's that fateful afternoon, a route called "Resume Builder." Rated a moderate 5.8 in technical difficulty, it also happened to be the first climbing route that Mackley had ever tackled as a newbie climber several years ago.

Mackley led the near-vertical, 75-foot route and tied into the metal anchors sunk into the rock at the top. Nick went up next, and soon they were both hanging from the gear, feet resting on small ledges.

Soon after Jim had scrambled up, Mackley says, the bees arrived, buzzing loudly, and began their surprise attack.

Mackley lowered the man he had just belayed. That was the easy part -- which was why Jim ended up with "only" about 100 stings. Then Mackley had to slam an ATC device (see picture at right) onto the dangling rope for Nick, who had never rappelled before. Five minutes later, Nick was down -- with about 400 stings.

Unfortunately for Mackley, he had sort of over-tied himself into the anchors at the top of route, given the situation. He'd expected to hang there for a while, showing Nick the ropes, and in the attack the two knots he'd tied through the anchors and into his climbing harness had cinched tight.

Suddenly, his life seemed to depend on untying a figure-eight knot and a clove hitch. But he couldn't do it. Minutes later, his hands were too swollen and numb to even try. He had to hang there and take it.

Rescuers got Mackley down a couple of hours later.

When I was about 12 years old, a bee landed right under my nose just as I was breathing in. Yup, I inhaled it.

I don't think the bee stung me, but there was a lot of blood and the bee didn't survive the ordeal.

I had one flying in my ear once when happily biking through the fields. I retrieved the bee in two halves from my ear. It did sting of course ... itchy experience.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom