all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed training music

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I enjoy Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Nevermore, etc. My mate who I train with has an extensive melodic death metal collection and he's introduced me to stuff such as Dimmu Borgir and other bands whose names I struggle to pronounce.

I really only notice it during the active recovery.
Agreed, when I'm mid-set I'm solely focussed on the kettlebell; my girlfriend was trying for a full minute to get my attention the other day :)

I find reggae (something nice and rootsy, Burning Spear, Steel Pulse) nice and calming, focusses breathing and puts a bit of bounce in your step for active rest

I normally just listen to the radio and take it as it comes.

It can be problematic at times because I have a habit of making up my own words for songs, particularly songs I don't like.

Taylor Swift came on the other day while I was training and I found myself singing
"I've got a blank space baby - where my brain should be"
and I wasted too much energy laughing to do any serious work.

Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Montseratt Caballe and someone named Pavorotti! Sometimes good old 90s dance music to remind me of the good ole days growing up in my local gym.

Very mainstream, butI like her: Pink. Some powerful, motivating songs.
And she has got an amazing body (when she is in shape) and a great attitude towards womenhood. Not that this plays a role for her music, anyway... cool girl.
@ Steve: My sister is a professional singer and she always says the same... if people say "nice to listen to it when doing other things", she goes through the roof. *lol*

What do you play Steve?
Many things. Grew up playing jazz guitar; majored in classical guitar then voice in undergraduate school, started learning piano and electric bass then; Masters and Doctorate in Choral Conducting; taught theory and ear-training at two colleges; now also play and teach upright bass and still study that; also play and teach French Horn and trumpet; organist and music director at a local church; High Holy Day choir director at a synagogue; and I'm probably leaving out something, too.

Hey, you asked. :)

-S-

I am also not listening to music while training.

Music is something special for me which turns me on or off, makes me energetic, or calm, or many others. Exactly what Steve wrote: it is like talking to someone.
Training... training for me is something very special and I want to be all 'here and now'. No distraction, even positive ones, allowed. Like when meditating - complete focus for half an hour. Try it! :)

Many things. Grew up playing jazz guitar; majored in classical guitar then voice in undergraduate school, started learning piano and electric bass then; Masters and Doctorate in Choral Conducting; taught theory and ear-training at two colleges; now also play and teach upright bass and still study that; also play and teach French Horn and trumpet; organist and music director at a local church; High Holy Day choir director at a synagogue; and I'm probably leaving out something, too.

Hey, you asked. :)

-S-
Incredible Steve! Totally in awe!

I've always been more of a old rock listener, I like to lift to AC/DC (hells bells, thunderstruck, etc.), some of the heavier Billy Joel (you may be right, pressure, etc.) and a little Bruce Springsteen. Along with a little of the rocky 4 soundtrack for motivation, it always gets my blood pumping

Last edited:
I have a Mp3 Mix that crosses off all the checkmarks: Heavy Metal, EDM, Hip Hop, Classic Rock that just plays on Random. However, as was stated above, I really only hear it during rest periods. it is nice to have the driving beat to motivate! Last night I forgot my player, and had to hear the overhead, remind me not to do that again!

TOOL

Put on Aenima while swinging and when Maynard sings 'Learn to swim' and after a while you keep repeating to yourself: 'Learn to swing!'. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom