all posts post new thread

Training Plan and Log - Post Stroke

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SammyBrown

Level 1 Valued Member
Putting together a summary of my current fitness, well-being plan post-stroke and thought I’d start a training log.

Background:

I am a 36yo male who has been quite active most of my life. I suffered a stroke in mid-2015 and am putting together a plan to stay active and healthy into older age as I also had the birth of my little girl 6 months after my stroke!

I have a history of training martial arts (Muay Thai and BJJ) but since the birth of my little girl I have decided to prioritise spending my evenings with the family (I really miss BJJ though!).

I am a social worker and work 4 days per week. I am out quite a bit of the working day but spend quite a bit of time at my desk (just got a standing desk and love it).

My routine goals are to:

- Rehabilitate and develop my motor skills
- Build lasting strength
- Keep me mobile and playful as I age
- Get me moving everyday
- Allow time and adaptability to fit around my work and family life
- Support my sleep schedule and mental health
- Encourage social interaction

Weekly exercise schedule:

Monday:
6am Simple & Sinister – 7pm Yoga

Tuesday:
6am Simple & Sinister – 7pm GMB Rings Free Program

Wednesday
6pm Group Mountain Bike Ride

Thursday
6am Simple & Sinister – Pre-bed Kit Laughlin Full Stretch Routine

Friday
6am Simple & Sinister

Saturday
7am GMB Rings Free Program – Pre-bed Kit Laughlin Limbering Session

Sunday
7am Group Mountain Bike Ride – Pre-bed Kit Laughlin Limbering Session

Links to my fitness programs:

Simple & Sinister
Kettlebell Simple & Sinister | StrongFirst

As well as the strength benefits I am using S&S as a way to reset my body clock and to encourage me to get an early start and begin the day on the right foot and am loving it for that.

GMB Free Rings Program
3 Rings Workouts for Pushing Strength, Conditioning, and Core Strength

Prior to the rings program I complete around 10-15mins of handstand practice.

Would be great to do this 3x per week but feel I am still progressing doing it 2x per week. Had completed the GMB Parralettes 1 program prior to this which was great and I found quite challenging.

Kit Laughlin Stretching
I am doing a combination of stretches from Kit Laughlin’s Master the Squat and Master the Pike programs. Very basically these programs involve 1-2 full stretch sessions a week, along with daily limbering sessions to maintain new range of motion. I am very stiff and these programs have been great in terms of opening up some of my main restrictions.

Watch Master the squat, and hip mobility; everyone start here Online | Vimeo On Demand
Watch Master the Pike series Online | Vimeo On Demand

Diet:

Pretty much completely plant based/vegan diet for 2.5 years. Mainly vegetarian for about 10 years before that.

I have done a lot of reading on diets and my conclusion is that a plant based diet seems to be the only diet that is consistently linked with longevity, as well as, decreasing my future stroke risk.

I continue to look into new research/information on diet.

I am finding this to be a great schedule and although it’s a quite full schedule it is adaptable and if I miss a session I am doing something the next day so not a big deal.

I HAVE DIFFICULTY STICKING WITH ONE PROGRAM SO PLAN TO STICK WITH THIS PROGRAM FOR 2 CYCLES OF THE RINGS PROGRAM WHICH WILL END UP BEING 32 WEEKS. Currently 6 weeks into it so around 26 weeks to do which will brings me up to 4th SEPTEMBER 2018.

Last edited:
Welcome.
I presume that you have been medically cleared to train in the fashion you mention?

Welcome.
I presume that you have been medically cleared to train in the fashion you mention?

Hi and thanks. Yes I am medically clear. My stroke was an ischemic stroke and I can give more info if people would like.

I am basically fully recovered and just have some minor residual balance, strength and motorskill deficits on my right side. I am clear to do anything that doesn't put me at risk due to these deficits.

Missed S&S this morning.

First day of second period of rings workout.

Rings Conditioning -
3 Rounds - 30sec rest between supersets.
Superset 1
- Rings Pushup (5,5,5)
- Plank hold (5,5,5 sec)
Superset 2
- Rings pull-up (3,3,3,)
- Dead hang l-sit (5,5,5sec)
Superset 3
- Ring Dip (3,3,3)
- RTO Top Position Hold (5,5,5sec)

Hope to increase reps and work out to 5 sets. Will continue for 4 weeks

S&S am
- 10x10 Swings (2Ax6,L,R,2A,2A) 7:30min
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24,24,16) 12min

Don't feel nearly strong enough for single arm swings with the 24kg. Stick with 2 arm and maybe a couple of 16kg single arm swings to work on technique for next couple of weeks and reassess.

S&S am
- 10x10 Swings (2Ax4 24kg ,L 16kg ,R 16kg, L 16kg, R 16kg ,2Ax2 24kg) 8:00min
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24,16,16) 11:30min

Very sore after hard 30km trail ride last night with lots of climbing. Cooked my legs! Was thinking about rest day but glad I did S&S. 16kg 1A swings good for now.

Really struggling to get a good stretch in the QL stretch and due to tightness struggle to sit in a straddle position with body upright. Any suggestions would be great.

I feel like I need to open up my hips and adductors a bit more so have added the 'Boxing the Compass' stretch to my post S&S cool down.

Now complete:
50/50 Stretch - 2 mins each side
Boxing the Compass - each side
QL Stretch with yoga strap to foot - 1 min each side (work up to 2 mins)

My warm-up is standard S&S:
3 sets - 5x prying goblets squat, 5x hip bridge, 5x Halos each direction.

Boxing the compass:

Rest day today. My first week back trying to train consistently and my body is feeling it. Mostly from my hard trail ride on Wednesday night.

I find it hard to take a day off so nice to feel good about taking a rest day. Today will still include my commute ride to train station and some limbering/light stretching.

Listening to Pavel on Tim Ferris on the train. 3rd time listening

Last edited:
AM - Rings Conditioning
4 Rounds - 30 Sec rest between supersets
Superset 1
- Rings Pushup (5,5,5,5)
- Plank hold (5secx4)
Superset 2
- Rings pull-up (4,3,3,3)
- Dead hang l-sit (5secx4)
Superset 3
- Ring Dip (3,3,3,3)
- RTO Top Position Hold (5secx4)

Last edited:
Decided to just put up one weekly training log post which I will put up on Sunday.

Filmed myself doing the movements for review. Already noticed a few areas that need attention. I have booked to see an SFG 1 certified trainer next Wednesday. Have to travel around 1.5 hours to see them so just going to get some instruction and maybe review in a couple of months. Any critique would be most welcome.

I'm am finding myself quite fatigued doing the rings workout on top of S&S. May swap rings workouts for 2 focussed handstand practice sessions per week.

Hi @SammyBrown, always a smart move to spend some time with an SFG! Your swings and get-ups look pretty good. Here's a few quick observations on the videos above:
  • 2H swings look great. Nice explosive upswing, standing plank is good. Pull the bell a little closer to you for the start position so you can pack the shoulders for the initial hike. During the swing, bend your knees a bit more for a better hinge.
  • 1H swing, looks pretty good too. With the left side as working side, you do a better job staying aligned. With the right side as the working side, the right shoulder isn't packed (is slightly elevated and forward) and also dips lower than the left shoulder in the bottom of the swing. Try to keep them aligned just as they would be with a 2H swing, both in the hinge and in the standing plank positions.
  • Getups look good. I see the bottom shoulder unpack in a couple of transitions, but only the first get-up when the kettlebell is in the left hand and the right shoulder is the bottom shoulder. The other correction I would suggest is the hand placement when coming from kneeling to tripod (pic) -- instead of reaching back, place your hand in line with your left foot and knee, about 12 inches forward of where it is there. This will be a much more stable position and easier to do the low sweep.
upload_2018-3-31_12-1-10.png

Thanks heaps @Anna C

It's really valuable filming yourself. The one hand swing alignment and the hand placement during TGU were the 2 most oblivious things I noticed too. Good to hear I'm on the right track. I'll think much more about the shoulder packing throughout. Thanks again for your feedback I really appreciate it. Bit of work to do (y)

Weeks Log:
Monday
AM: S&S
- 10x10 Swings (2Ax4 24kg,L,R,L,R 16kg,2x2A 24kg) 9:30min
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24,24,16) 16min
PM: Yoga
Tuesday
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24,24,24) 15:30min
Added one set of 24kg TGU. Happy about that.
PM: Handstand Practice 52mins
Wednesday
PM 23km mtb trail ride
Thursday
- 10x10 Swings (4x2A 24kg,L,R,L,R 16kg,2x2A 24kg) 9:30min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,16) 14:30mins
Friday
- 10x10 Swings (4x2A 24kg,L,R,L,R 16kg,2x2A 24kg) 9:30min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,24) 16:30mins
Yay, 4 sets with 24kg. Felt impossible when I first bought the 24!
PM: Full stretch
Saturday
AM - Rings Conditioning
15mins Handstand Prac
3 Rounds
Superset 1
- Rings Pushup (5,5,5,)
- Plank hold (3x5sec)
Superset 2
- Rings pull-up (4,3,3,)
- Dead hang l-sit (3x5sec)
Superset 3
- Ring Dip (3,3,3,)
- RTO Top Position Hold (3x5sec)

TGU and Swing Instruction with Patrycja Witkowska SFG 1
TGU:
- Pack shoulder while moving to/from lying to elbow. Think about pulling with hand/forearm up, and pushing away down.
- Foot/knee/hand position during low sweep and lunge. Arm 45 degrees from body at start position, should be able to touch hip if I bend arm at elbow. Thigh and shin at 90 degrees for lunge. Experiment with foot distance from butt and hand position at start position.
Swings:
- Swing depth. Slight more bend at knees and hips lower than shoulders at hike and bottom of swing. My swings were short.
- Start position. Weight into feet not over bell. Tilt bell and bring to you.
Variations to improve swing:
- Double Arm Singles x10. Hike bell, one swing, park bell.
- Hand to Hand Singles. Single arm swing, swap hands top of swing, swap every swing for 10 reps

Monday
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24,24,16) 17min
Tuesday
- 10x10 Swings (2Ax4 24kg,L,R 16kg,L,R 24kg, L,R 16kg, 2A 24kg) 10min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,24) 17min
Wednesday
SFG Session
Thursday
Terrible sleep last night, rest day
Friday
- 10x10 Swings (1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg, 3x2A 24kg, 4xH2H 24kg, 2x2A 24kg) 11:30min
Feels great implementing the H2H
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24,24,24) 18:30mins
Saturday
AM - Rings Conditioning
15mins Handstand Prac
3 Rounds
Superset 1
- Rings Pushup (5,5,5,)
- Plank hold (3x5sec)
Superset 2
- Rings pull-up (4,3,3,)
- Dead hang l-sit (3x5sec)
Superset 3
- Ring Dip (3,3,3,)
- RTO Top Position Hold (3x5sec)
Sunday
Day off, another sleepless night last night

Monday
- 10x10 Swings (1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg, 3x2A 24kg, 4xH2H 24kg, 2x5L5R 24kg) 11:30min
Bringing in sets of 5 1A Swings
- 5/5 TGU (16,16,24) 14:30mins
Short on time so only 3 sets of get ups this morn.
Will stop rings workout and just do Handstand Practice sessions instead. To fatigued, focus on S&S for now.
Tuesday
AM: Sore middle & lower back today. Just foam rolled this morning
PM: 30mins Handstand Prac
Wednesday
PM: 25kms MTB trail ride
Thursday
- 10x10 Swings (1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg, 3x2A 24kg, 3xH2H 24kg, 5L5R 24kg, 2x2A 24kg) 11:45min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,16,16) 14:30mins
Friday
Rest day - Another bad sleep last night
Saturday
AM - 10x10 Swings (1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg, 3x2A 24kg, 2xH2H 24kg, 2x5L/5R 24kg, 2x2A 24kg)
13:00 min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,24) 18:00mins
PM: 15km Trail Ride
Sunday
AM - 10x10 Swings (1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg, 3x2A 24kg, 2xH2H 24kg, 2x5L/5R 24kg, 2x2A 24kg)
12:15 min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,24) 17:30mins

Monday
- 10x10 Swings (1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg, 3x2A 24kg, 2xH2H 24kg, 2x5L/5R 24kg, 2x2A 24kg)
10:20 min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,24) 12:30mins
Tuesday
PM: Tried out going back to BJJ - Fit Republic
Wednesday
Rest Day
Thursday
AM: Circus
Friday
Rest day
Saturday
AM - 10x10 Swings
1xSingle Rep 2A 24kg,
1x 2A 24kg,
2x 2T+2L+2T+2R+2A 24kg,
2x 1T+3L+2T+3R 24kg,
2x 5L/5R,
2x 2A 24kg
11:00 min
- 5/5 TGU (16,24,24,24,24) 17:30mins
Implementing Steve Freides 2A to 1A swing plan.
Feeling great - Simple & Sinister: Getting from Two- to One-Hand Swings | StrongFirst
Sunday
AM - 20km trail ride

Last edited:
Thought I'd try out new BJJ gym and see if I could fit it in. Went on Tuesday last week. Decided I couldn't make it work with timetable/home responsibilities.

Also, although I enjoyed the rolling it really took a lot out of me and beat my body up. Needed to take the rest of the week off S&S. Realised how much I have been appreciating feeling fresh and uninjured. Made me reassess my training goals. Went back to circus training on Thursday to work on my handstand.

Reassessed 2018 Goals:
- S&S: complete standard with 24kg and be using a 32kg KB for some movements
- Somewhat consistent 10sec free standing handstand
- Improved hip mobility. Being able to sit comfortably on ground with legs straddled would be great (work on it, long road).
- Sleeping regularly (Routine and practices that support my sleep)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom